Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,414 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are moving from Seattle, he is working in Carrolton. We are looking in Plano,Frisco,Mckinney, and possibly Carrolton.

I have done all the crime serches etc, what are your opinons. We are looking for a nice upper class neighborhood, or posh loft. We dont have and will not have children, so schools dont matter. I simply dont want a crappy,old area. I fly in Friday to look at houses, but would love to narrow the areas down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:59 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Instead of driving away from the city, you might look towards the city.

ETA - I don't think that made sense. I meant look for places to live in Dallas proper and not the child filled suburbs.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM

17 posts, read 48,448 times
I live in McKinney and we absolutely love it... I think Allen & Frisco are nice too...but McKinney is our favorite with Allen coming in as a close second. Frisco has alot of traffic, but does have Stonebriar mall which is a huge plus in my book. For us McKinney is convenient for both of us...and we live in the Stonebridge area and I think the drive through Stonebridge is gorgeous, not to mention that it has alot of cool amenities...the beach club, the aquatic center, golf courses, private lakes, biking/walking trails. Allen is nice because of all the new development...

Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 PM

17 posts, read 48,448 times
By the way, I don't have children either, but I really like that everything here is so well kept and I don't have to see anything run down...

Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,414 times
Thanks guys! Mckinney is looking better and better!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
What is your budget and are you looking to buy or rent?

You may be happier in Dallas proper if you are looking for a "posh" upper class neighborhood. Some areas with easy access to I-35 (20-30 min drive to Carrollton) are:

The Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park, zip codes 75205 & 75225). Two independent towns completely surrounded by the city of Dallas- like a suburb in the city. Limited rental properties (mostly duplexes and some new high end apartments), but homes start at $500k+ single family attached new construction and go up to $10-15M estates with acreage and gorgeous old 1920s mansions. Young families, professionals, & empty nesters. Well known for high profile residents & proximity to downtown Dallas, as well as top notch schools and very, very low crime rate. Hermes, Chanel, Carolina Herrera, Tory Burch, etc have stores at Highland Park Village and NorthPark Mall (Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom with couture department, Barneys, Louis Vuitton, etc) is a 5 min drive.

Turtle Creek and Uptown (75219, 75204) offer urban living in high rises, condos, and big and small apartment complexes. I just looked at The House at Victory Park (a Phillip Starke building), with floor to ceiling glass windows offering sweeping views of the downtown skyline and arts district, Uptown, and west towards the design district. Infinity pool on the 5th floor, gorgeous sleek kitchens- a very hip building. 1600sf 1 bedroom/ 1.5 bath units are listed around $400k. Lots of walkable areas in Uptown, with restaurants, bars, coffee shops, art galleries, museums, and jogging trails nearby. Majority of residents are single professionals or young couples.

Whereas the Park Cities are more traditional & conservative, Uptown is more diverse, more liberal leaning. Oak Lawn (the "gay-borhood") is adjacent to Oak Lawn.

The northern suburbs you listed (Frisco, McKinney, etc) are great if you want a cheap new house (much lower $ per sf than Dallas due to lower land values) in an extremely family-centric area. If you are a dynamic young couple seeking more than a McMansion, it may not be the best fit for you.

But come this weekend and look both in-town and in the suburbs & then let us know what other questions you have.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
What portion of Carrollton will your husband be working in and what is the housing budget. This will help zero in on the right spot.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,394 times
Frisco. It's newer than Carrollton, not as far away as McKinney and not yet really as crowded as Plano.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
You might the area around the Shops at Legacy.
The Shops at Legacy
But it really depends on what you describe as a posh loft....that's mostly going to be toward the city of Dallas.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 AM

72 posts, read 216,393 times
Did you look at the area called Austin Waters in Carrollton? It's a new built community close to Castle Hills and those mansions in Plano. It will be an upscale sub-division when it's finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas