Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 26,894 times

Advertisements

hey... just got here in irving with my sister last month. do you guys know any filipino grocery stores in the area? our mode of transpo as of the moment is only by bus so we wanna find a store accessible by buses :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 12:04 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
^
Mabuhay ng Dallas
No, they're are no actual Filipino Orientate stores in DFW...I think...LOL
welcome to Irving... it's great here isn't it? I live here too! LOL
Depending what part of Irving you live...
You can take the Dart bus down to Little Saigon mall on Beltline... it has Filipino products...
H Mart, Hong Kong Market, are also place to look
There is one Filipino Church I am aware of... unfortunately... if you are not Methodist you are out of luck...
7202 Umphress Rd
Dallas, TX 75217
(214) 398-1989
I do not know much about the Filipino community. I know that the community claims about 30,000 live the Metropolitan area...
I recognize Filipino(although I do not know the difference between Tagalog and anything else... maybe if I'm lucky I can pick out Visayan) as I do have Family in the Philippines, but am not ethnically Filipino.
There Filipino Parties every once in a while and going where the Chinese go might be an area to find Filipinos because the Filipinos tend to follow the Chinese.
Hong Kong market or H Mart will be best for locating your Filipino need, which based of my knowledge isn't too different from what you can find in the normal grocery store...

Are you coming directly from the Philippines?
F.L.O.D Filipino League of Dallas - Home
that is the best link to the Filipino Community I could find, the Filipino community is not that organized in DFW...

I am sorry I could not give you much information...
Salamat po...Mabuhay... Patawarin po

Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 26,894 times
Hey CMDallas, thanks. This is actually a pretty sufficient info :-) We'll check out the places.

And yea, we like the city :-) It's really peaceful here. We live in Las Colinas area.

We're actually catholics... hope we can find a catholic church somewhere since there are lots of mexicans here, i believe, and they're predominantly catholics, right?

We came straight from the Philippines. So far, we only know one other filipino here in irving. LOL :-)

Thanks again :-)

Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 13,164 times
Does anyone know if there is a Frisco/ Plano Filipino community here that teaches Ilocano or Tagalog? Or, any good means for learning these languages in Dallas area? Thanks.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoPhlip View Post
Does anyone know if there is a Frisco/ Plano Filipino community here that teaches Ilocano or Tagalog? Or, any good means for learning these languages in Dallas area? Thanks.
Frisco & Plano are majority Chinese.

The small D/FW Filipino community is concentrated around Mesquite, Garland, & East Dallas.

Your best bet for learning Tagalog is ordering one of those language programs online or picking up an English/Tagalog book in B&N.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 12,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azil_sram View Post
hey... just got here in irving with my sister last month. do you guys know any filipino grocery stores in the area? our mode of transpo as of the moment is only by bus so we wanna find a store accessible by buses :-)
Welcome all Kababayans to Dallas!

I am the husband of a Filipina and have found many places with filipino products, as well as restaurants.

Groceries: I agree that Little Saigon, aka TNL Supermarket on Beltline Rd at Rochelle in Irving is one of the best. I have heard of another asian market in Arlington that carries a great variety of filipino foods; it is located on Pioneer in Arlington, west of 360 on the left hand side. It was even featured on the news for having the freshest fish in Dallas, including bangus! Hong Kong Supermarket in Richardson is fabulous too! Their little restaurant has some fabulous, out of this world delicious shanghai/spring rolls!

Restaurants: My absolute favorite is D'Kusina in Richardson. It is located at the cross roads of BeltLine and Jupiter, their number is 972-238-7199.

One of my wife's favorites in terms of getting real filipino food and ALL of the groceries are REALLY filipino is Little Manila. Just get on I30 and exit Big Town Blvd towards the north. It will be on your right side just after John W Rd.

The only other confirmed filipino restaurant in Dallas is actually in Hurst off of Brown Road. It's called Filipiniana Bakery. The food is ok but the service is lacking. The lady that owns the place seems to be angry all the time. If you don't care about friendly staff, I guess it's an ok to eat.

CHURCH: The Dallas Filipino Congregation at Mockingbird and Inwood in Dallas has an education program geared towards those wanting to learn filipino. Even their meetings are in taglish to facilitate easy assimilation of the language. [mod]email address removed - send DM to OP for info[/mod]

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-06-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Bad idea to post email address because of web crawlers/spammers - request contact by DM instead.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:30 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroalvarez View Post
Welcome all Kababayans to Dallas!

I am the husband of a Filipina and have found many places with filipino products, as well as restaurants.

Groceries: I agree that Little Saigon, aka TNL Supermarket on Beltline Rd at Rochelle in Irving is one of the best. I have heard of another asian market in Arlington that carries a great variety of filipino foods; it is located on Pioneer in Arlington, west of 360 on the left hand side. It was even featured on the news for having the freshest fish in Dallas, including bangus! Hong Kong Supermarket in Richardson is fabulous too! Their little restaurant has some fabulous, out of this world delicious shanghai/spring rolls!

Restaurants: My absolute favorite is D'Kusina in Richardson. It is located at the cross roads of BeltLine and Jupiter, their number is 972-238-7199.

One of my wife's favorites in terms of getting real filipino food and ALL of the groceries are REALLY filipino is Little Manila. Just get on I30 and exit Big Town Blvd towards the north. It will be on your right side just after John W Rd.

The only other confirmed filipino restaurant in Dallas is actually in Hurst off of Brown Road. It's called Filipiniana Bakery. The food is ok but the service is lacking. The lady that owns the place seems to be angry all the time. If you don't care about friendly staff, I guess it's an ok to eat.

CHURCH: The Dallas Filipino Congregation at Mockingbird and Inwood in Dallas has an education program geared towards those wanting to learn filipino. Even their meetings are in taglish to facilitate easy assimilation of the language. Moderator cut: email address removed - send DM to OP for info
Just to summarize all the Asian areas for you in the DFW area:

Dallas/Carrollton/Irving
I-35 and Royal: Korean Town and Asian Trade District
Old Denton Tap Rd and George Bush Turnpike: Super H Mart, Yogurtland, Korean strip Mall. (Has Filipino products)
South Beltline Road: Korean Strip mall.
North Beltline Road: Little Saigon Mall in Irving, TX.
MacArthur Blvd: Several South Asian Cruisine (The Little India of Dallas)
Josey Ln going North from Bush Turnpike: Vietnamese Strip Mall (has filipino products too)

Richardson:
US 75 Main/Beltline Exit: Polk going east, Greenville Going north: The Chinatown of Dallas: Mainly Taiwanese/Cantonese/Vietnamese mix. You can find filipino products in this area.

Plano:
US 75 and Legacy: Go West on Legacy: Asian World Market plus strip mall plus small indoor mall. You will find Goldilocks products here.

Coit and Park: Mei Hua: Predominantly Chinese with Korean Mix: You can find some filipino products in this grocery store.

Garland:
Walnut St. and Adelia going East for about 1-2 miles. Several Vietnamese/Korean, and Chinese strip malls. Probably the longest stretch of strip malls in the area. Features Hong Kong market plus several Vietnamese and Korean Grocers., Hong Kong market has quite a few filipino products.

Arlington:
Pioneer Expressway and 360: Go east or west. But predominantly West.
Has Hong Kong Market, Vietnamese grocers as well. All serve some filipino products.

Restaurants: Filipiana Restaurant...Bedford
Rd. south from Airport freeway. In strip mall on right.
New Manilla...Big Town exit off of I-30. Go left upon exit and head north. Strip mall on right.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,400 times
My wife has given the Hong Kong Market the two thumbs up for fresh fish, asian vegetables, and all the other stuff.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Just to summarize all the Asian areas for you in the DFW area:

Dallas/Carrollton/Irving
I-35 and Royal: Korean Town and Asian Trade District
Old Denton Tap Rd and George Bush Turnpike: Super H Mart, Yogurtland, Korean strip Mall. (Has Filipino products)
South Beltline Road: Korean Strip mall.
North Beltline Road: Little Saigon Mall in Irving, TX.
MacArthur Blvd: Several South Asian Cruisine (The Little India of Dallas)
Josey Ln going North from Bush Turnpike: Vietnamese Strip Mall (has filipino products too)

Richardson:
US 75 Main/Beltline Exit: Polk going east, Greenville Going north: The Chinatown of Dallas: Mainly Taiwanese/Cantonese/Vietnamese mix. You can find filipino products in this area.

Plano:
US 75 and Legacy: Go West on Legacy: Asian World Market plus strip mall plus small indoor mall. You will find Goldilocks products here.

Coit and Park: Mei Hua: Predominantly Chinese with Korean Mix: You can find some filipino products in this grocery store.

Garland:
Walnut St. and Adelia going East for about 1-2 miles. Several Vietnamese/Korean, and Chinese strip malls. Probably the longest stretch of strip malls in the area. Features Hong Kong market plus several Vietnamese and Korean Grocers., Hong Kong market has quite a few filipino products.

Arlington:
Pioneer Expressway and 360: Go east or west. But predominantly West.
Has Hong Kong Market, Vietnamese grocers as well. All serve some filipino products.

Restaurants: Filipiana Restaurant...Bedford
Rd. south from Airport freeway. In strip mall on right.
New Manilla...Big Town exit off of I-30. Go left upon exit and head north. Strip mall on right.

Hope this helps!
You forgot Fort Worth (Haltom City) on Beach St.

Those are predominately Vietnamese, Thai, & Laos though.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-08-2009 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: FYI folks, this info really belongs in the Fort Worth Forum, not the Dallas Forum

Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You forgot Fort Worth (Haltom City) on Beach St.

Those are predominately Vietnamese, Thai, & Laos though.
Did not know there was another asian neighborhood on the Ft. Worth side. Is Beach St. off of Airport freeway?

What is the cross st. to Beach st.?

Thanks.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-08-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: FYI folks, this info really belongs in the Fort Worth Forum, not the Dallas Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas