Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,893,589 times

Advertisements

You can bail on a school at the end of December. This is on a one-off basis, as very few people would be doing such a thing.

As far as criteria go, pretty much any school that has open slots can be chosen. You have to haul your kids there yourself - PISD will not provide transportation. Outgoing principals cannot veto transfers. Incoming principals can, but almost none do so.

If you absolutely have to be out of the school TODAY, you can also plead your case for an administrative transfer. That's initiated by the outgoing principal -typically, it's used to remove the victim of extreme bullying or taunting from a bad situation, or in response to a court order related to a custody arrangement. So that would be a long shot.

I would read the link posted by FarNorthDallas. I would think that would have all the needed information.

What's wrong with your child's current school, and what would you be looking for in a different one? Do you have a specific location in mind? Do you want to get your child settled into a completely different feeder pattern, or just want a different elementary? If you provide some additional specifics, the folks on the board could give you more concrete advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 PM

10 posts, read 33,634 times
The reason, white parents do not mind Asian and Indian kids, is because academically Asian and Indian kids in Plano ISD are much better than White kids. It is a FACT. So why should white parents mind? Check Plano ISD website for test results and you will see Asian/Indian kids are outnumbering white kids in any and every academic field. Unless it is sports or cheer leading, it is the Asian/Indian kids who are bring glory to Plano ISD.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biddut View Post
The reason, white parents do not mind Asian and Indian kids, is because academically Asian and Indian kids in Plano ISD are much better than White kids. It is a FACT. So why should white parents mind? Check Plano ISD website for test results and you will see Asian/Indian kids are outnumbering white kids in any and every academic field. Unless it is sports or cheer leading, it is the Asian/Indian kids who are bring glory to Plano ISD.
So........ are you wanting a school with a higher number or lower number of white kids?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 PM

MomoF2DFW,

I prefer a school with higher number of Asian/Indian kids, just like Rice. I am actually changing my house for that reason.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,893,589 times
Default Re:

Well, if that's all you care about, then transfer to Skaggs for elementary and Rice for middle school. Both those schools were open for transfers last year.

Be forewarned that Jasper HS has been closed for transfers for years and will be for the foreseeable future. However, your child could always attend the IB program at Clark HS or the magnet program to be (almost certainly) implemented at Williams HS down the line.

--

I'm going to try to be as polite as I can here with this next comment.

Although Asians (including Indians) may make the best students, they don't always make the best parents of students. Many put their kids under intense pressure to be the top students from a young age. Some Asian parents convey attitudes of racial superiority to their children, even to the point of discouraging friendships with white kids (or any kid not of their own nationality). School, even elementary school, is serious business for these families, not a place for fun and enjoyment. It is rare to see Asians and Indians involved with the PTA or other school volunteer opportunities. Some are, but many more sit on the sidelines.

Honestly, I would not recommend sending your kid to Skaggs, because the factors I listed above are present there in spades. Any of the elementaries feeding into Schimelpfenig Middle School would do just as good a job of educating your child, complete with a nice sampling of Asians to raise the bar for your child, without the problems created by an overwhelming number of non-native families at the school.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Big G, Thanks. I agree with your analysis of Asian/Indian parents mostly. Problem is, majority of Asian/Indian parents enjoy a financial freedom because of their education and high-tech industry. If it was not for high-tech industry, you would probably not see these immigrants in nice Plano houses. Not many politicians, CEOs, or non-technical jobs are open to Asian/Indian immigrants. So they put lot of pressure to their kids to excel in academics, because they are worried about their future. How many professional athletes are Asian or Indian? Almost none. So education is the only way out.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Honestly, I would not recommend sending your kid to Skaggs, because the factors I listed above are present there in spades. Any of the elementaries feeding into Schimelpfenig Middle School would do just as good a job of educating your child, complete with a nice sampling of Asians to raise the bar for your child, without the problems created by an overwhelming number of non-native families at the school.
Are you the same "Big G" that is slamming Schimelpfenig parents on the Dallas news blog? Just curious because the tone is so much nicer here.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 AM

216 posts, read 713,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
From a outsider it seems to me Plano is facing the same problems DISD had during the 70's. Demographics are changing and seems Plano is starting to feel the effects. I'm sure many of those folks will move to Allen or Frisco and the cycle will start all over again.
grain raiser hit the nail on the head.

As more minorities move into plano, there will be increased white flight. With more white flight, plano schools will start to be perceived as "bad" snowballing into even more white flight.

In a decade, plano's demographics will have changed drastically. This process manifested itself quite rapidly in the southern burbs.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 AM

243 posts, read 484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
From a outsider it seems to me Plano is facing the same problems DISD had during the 70's. Demographics are changing and seems Plano is starting to feel the effects. I'm sure many of those folks will move to Allen or Frisco and the cycle will start all over again.
You hit the nail on the head. I would guess that 80% of the people moving to McKinney and Frisco are moving to escape the perceived decline of PISD. It eventually happens in every suburb and "West Plano" isn't immune to sweeping demographic changes either.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 AM

3,808 posts, read 8,693,488 times
#1 - Plano's schools are good schools. Unlike DISD and some other large districts, we're talking about the difference between Academically Acceptable and Recognized or Exemplary schools. Even the people who are fighting to keep their kids at one school or another will tell you that even the worst case scenario is ten times better than you will find many other places.

#2 - This is NOT about white's versus minority. The East Cluster is about as diverse as you can find. AND I would wager, truly more diverse than DISD, or other districts where one race/ethnicity dominates. And I believe that holds true for the other two clusters as well. People move to East Richardson and Murphy because they can find good schools in welcoming communities where people care about their families, homes, neighbors. These people are not going to "flee" to lily-white neighborhoods.

#3 - PISD is on the news because it's been a very vocal battle to get this realignment done. Well, you know what - Great! That means people are engaged and actually care about what happens in their school district - even if their motivation is their own kid. Because in DISD they had 12,000 people in that district show up to decide who represents them. In PISD last May there were 8,000. There's worse problems than having a vocal constituency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas