Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,511 times

Advertisements

they could always still build the 6th hs, but just place it on the east side. I don't see how 1 high school could support Plano East anyways. The whole place would feel deserted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:08 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
They did build the 6th high school, and they did locate it on the east side. But now they've decided to convert Williams HS into a magnet school, even though there has been almost no public support for such a school.

What the board giveth, the board taketh away.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:21 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Wow, that's complicated!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,511 times
yea, I was talking about an additional 6 high schools, since Williams is now a magnet.

I still don't see that many students going to Williams, however. Maybe they should make it an arts and theater magnet. I feel like they're a little bit under-represented.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Just to follow up with the final results on this:

The school board voted tonight (7-0 with ZERO discussion ) to finalize the new PISD boundaries.

I earlier posted that:

Quote:
the PISD board has let it be known that they will be adopting a zoning plan known as "Option 3" at their next meeting on Dec. 15. There may or may not be some minor changes made at that meeting, but their general intention is to adopt the plan as currently written.
Well, their definition of "minor changes" apparently includes "abandoning 90% of the proposed Option 3 and instead reverting to essentially the original options". In this particular case, that's a good thing.

Here's what's happening:

Middle School Level:

Otto Middle School in far east Plano will open in Fall 2010 with the following elementary schools feeding into it - Mendenhall, Schell, and Stinson. (Currently, Mendenhall feeds to Bowman, and the others to Murphy.)

Murphy Middle School will continue with the following feeders - Boggess, Hunt, and Miller. (Delete Schell and Stinson)

Bowman Middle School will continue with Barron, Hickey, McCall, and Memorial. (Delete Mendenhall)

Armstrong Middle School will have Dooley, Forman, and Meadows. (No change.)

The other 9 middle schools will see no change in their elementary feeders.

(The Harrington/Haggard proposed switch of Option 3 will not be happening.)
--

High School (9th-10th grade) Level:

McMillen HS - Armstrong, Murphy (New high school)
Williams HS - Otto, Bowman (Armstrong & Murphy deleted)
Clark HS - Hendrick, Carpenter (no change)
Vines HS - Wilson, Haggard (no change)
Jasper HS - Schimelpfenig, Rice, Robinson (no change)
Shepton HS - Frankford, Renner (no change)

(The Bowman to Clark switch of Option 3 will not be happening. Converting Williams HS to a magnet school will not happen.)

--

Senior High (11th -12th) Level

Plano West SHS - Shepton HS, Jasper HS
Plano SHS - Vines HS, Clark HS
Plano East SHS - McMillen HS, Williams HS

PISD will offer students in the Schimelpfenig MS attendance area the opportunity to attend either (Jasper AND Plano West) or (Clark AND Plano Senior) without losing UIL eligibility. Per UIL regulations, this choice of high school/senior high combination must be made in the spring of 8th grade.

(Schimelpfenig students cannot mix and match schools without losing UIL eligibility. The Bowman choice zone of Option 3 will not be in effect.)

I expect very few Schimelpfenig students to select Clark/PSHS.

Backing up to the middle school level, here are the changes to the senior high feeders:

Bold indicates new feeder to school, Italics means deleted feeder, Underline indicates school with a choice zone.

Plano West - Frankford, Renner, Robinson, Rice, Schimelpfenig
Plano Senior - Haggard, Wilson, Hendrick, Carpenter; Deleted - Rice, Schimelpfenig
Plano East - Otto, Murphy, Armstrong, Bowman; Deleted - Hendrick, Carpenter

Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 PM

501 posts, read 1,463,229 times
I agree with that point. I know that while I would have prefered my son go to PSHS, we will be opting for the Jasper - PWSH route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Just to follow up with the final results on this:

The school board voted tonight (7-0 with ZERO discussion ) to finalize the new PISD boundaries.

I earlier posted that:

Well, their definition of "minor changes" apparently includes "abandoning 90% of the proposed Option 3 and instead reverting to essentially the original options". In this particular case, that's a good thing.

Here's what's happening:

Middle School Level:

Otto Middle School in far east Plano will open in Fall 2010 with the following elementary schools feeding into it - Mendenhall, Schell, and Stinson. (Currently, Mendenhall feeds to Bowman, and the others to Murphy.)

Murphy Middle School will continue with the following feeders - Boggess, Hunt, and Miller. (Delete Schell and Stinson)

Bowman Middle School will continue with Barron, Hickey, McCall, and Memorial. (Delete Mendenhall)

Armstrong Middle School will have Dooley, Forman, and Meadows. (No change.)

The other 9 middle schools will see no change in their elementary feeders.

(The Harrington/Haggard proposed switch of Option 3 will not be happening.)
--

High School (9th-10th grade) Level:

McMillen HS - Armstrong, Murphy (New high school)
Williams HS - Otto, Bowman (Armstrong & Murphy deleted)
Clark HS - Hendrick, Carpenter (no change)
Vines HS - Wilson, Haggard (no change)
Jasper HS - Schimelpfenig, Rice, Robinson (no change)
Shepton HS - Frankford, Renner (no change)

(The Bowman to Clark switch of Option 3 will not be happening. Converting Williams HS to a magnet school will not happen.)

--

Senior High (11th -12th) Level

Plano West SHS - Shepton HS, Jasper HS
Plano SHS - Vines HS, Clark HS
Plano East SHS - McMillen HS, Williams HS

PISD will offer students in the Schimelpfenig MS attendance area the opportunity to attend either (Jasper AND Plano West) or (Clark AND Plano Senior) without losing UIL eligibility. Per UIL regulations, this choice of high school/senior high combination must be made in the spring of 8th grade.

(Schimelpfenig students cannot mix and match schools without losing UIL eligibility. The Bowman choice zone of Option 3 will not be in effect.)

I expect very few Schimelpfenig students to select Clark/PSHS.
Backing up to the middle school level, here are the changes to the senior high feeders:

Bold indicates new feeder to school, Italics means deleted feeder, Underline indicates school with a choice zone.

Plano West - Frankford, Renner, Robinson, Rice, Schimelpfenig
Plano Senior - Haggard, Wilson, Hendrick, Carpenter; Deleted - Rice, Schimelpfenig
Plano East - Otto, Murphy, Armstrong, Bowman; Deleted - Hendrick, Carpenter

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Those Stinson parents sure are all abuzz yes? Threatening lawsuits. Chinese and Indians got screwed.

I honestly still think this is the best all around scenario for the East Cluster and if it had been presented up front, would have saved hours of drama and handwringing.

And Big G, thanks for the credit. :-)

Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Chinese and Indians got screwed
Do what? All the Chinese and Indians at Schimelpfenig got just want they wanted. So did the Chinese and Indians at Jasper. And Bowman. And, well, most of the entire district. There are a lot of Asians at my son's school. Nothing changes for them. Did they get rooked? Did Skaggs (60%+ Asian) get jobbed? Andrews?

By my count, a grand total of TWO elementary schools got (what they consider to be) the short end of the stick. (That, and we all get a big construction bill for PWSH expansion.) That's out of what, 45? All things considered, this is a pretty decent resolution.

I will note that PISD continues its grand tradition of completely jacking around the portion of the district located in the city of Richardson. That will teach them not to vote in Plano city council elections.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
I was looking at the Aldrige map earlier. It looks like there should be another ES in the Richardson part. But obviously space is an issue.

However, Cisco has a bunch of land they won't be building on along 190 between Jupiter and Renner. I wonder if that would work.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,508 times
Thank you for the update, BigG. There were moms handing out vote-no-to-Option 3 flyers last week at my son's elementary school. I was wondering how the board would vote. Hopefully this solution will improve PISD and people will work with the change instead of against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas