Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 11:11 AM

445 posts, read 1,809,752 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to find info on Waterstone Estates, i tried searching this forum, and only came up with 3 or so posts...Can anyone tell me what the deal is there? They are BEAUTIFUL houses..in my price range, BUT is it the school??

We are planning on moving in January, and i have had my heart set on Rockwall/Heath...I love it, and the schools...but my husband maybe working closer to McKinney, so i thought i would check houses out on the internet, and came across Waterstone. There are a lot for sale though and repos, then i checked out the elementary school, and it did not look so great. The rating was ok, a 7, i prefer a 9 or 10, and when you look at the student stats, there is a high hispanic population, along with "economically disadvantaged"...What is the deal?? I guess it just surprises me that people, that can afford to have those homes (before they were repos) then send their kids to a school, that is not very highly rated? I found that in one are of Rockwall as well, which again surprised me!

SO we are looking for a house on acreage, upt to 5-10 acres. I looked up Prosper, and found their school ratings to be VERY good, can anyone tell me anything at all about the areas?

Thanks
Christina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:03 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,500 times
Hey Christina,

I've done a few homes in Waterstone and it is on the far east side of McKinney. All my clients were empty nesters so schools was a non-issue. You're right, the demographics on the east side are what they are.

Prosper is very good. For a Custom Home on acrage look at:
Amberwood Farms
or
Twelve Oaks (http://www.haggardproperties.com/12oaks/index.html - broken link)

Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
I would go with Prosper over McKinney if the commute isn't too bad. Prosper is more like a small town, than a suburb. They just [over]built a beautiful high school with all the bells and whistles.

McKinney buses kids around to keep the level of economically disadvantaged kids level at all schools and it's not always the low income kids who get bused.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
Waterstone has not done very well for many builders there. I would contribute that to timing. The community opened just as the market peaked. It opened up to smaller cutom builders who didn't have the financial backing to stay afloat and that resulted in many foreclosures. If there were bigger builders, they would have opened up an elementary school inside the community.

The homes are absolutely gorgeous though. You would not find the same floorplan twice there.

One of the disadvantages of living on the east side of McKinney is the lack of shopping, you would have to drive 20 minutes to the nearest stores unless you take into consideration the small convenience store in New Hope.

Doing that drive from 380 to the community is not very pretty, so I know that was an issue for 2 different buyers I showed in there. However, everyone that I spoke to that lives in the community love it.

I still think that there is great potential for Waterstone a few years down the road, so you would have to look at it as a long term investment.

Naima

Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,467 times
According to what I know, think many or most of the younger children pay extra and go to Melissa ISD and the older kids then go to MISD and McKinney North which the schools are rated fairly well. You are correct that some residents have issues with MISD assinged school for elementary ages in the Waterstone Estates edition?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,467 times
Has anyone seen or been in the house just listed on Twilight? What a wonderful edition, Custom homes, lakes, gated community, soccer field, fishing pier, Except for this home. No wonder it is the last foreclosed home in the entire edition. Most all homes are custom, all hard wood, travertine, custom and probably $150+ to build. But this house is has no trees, separate garage, all carpet, linoleum, carpet? All electric house actually built in an Custom home edition which is primarily propone? This house could not have cost $60- per ft. to build and should be in Westridge or somewhere else? What a waste of property. The lot dropped 50% this year on Collin County cad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas