Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 04:26 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Big square one, with brick, tall roof, Master BDR down...

Yep, probably looks like many of the others around here ;-)

you know it's funny out here, back in the DC area, any of these houses that we have looked at would be NICE houses. a 400k house here, if you pick it up and plant it on River road in Potomac it would be 3 million easy.

out here there are SOO many nice big brick houses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 04:44 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,440 times
Quote:
I think Sotherby and Grand are the only ones I know of that build that style of home from a production builder basis. The other higher end production builders I've spoken to (and a few Realtors) feel that this style of home may go out of style in 5 years, so they are reluctant to build. It does make for a marvelous entrance (no so energy efficient as Padge points out) into the home. You feel like you should be fighting off a dragon or something.

I can't think of where they are in Mckinney (Village Park North over by the 75?) ? I'm always curious about these things so please clue me in...Mckinney seems more of a traditional brick home, with some neo classics mixed in (Darling built most of these) with emphasis on the porch as vehicle to build a community effect.

The exception being the new Tuckerhill Ranch:
http://www.tuckerhilltx.com/

It appears these are targeting a different buyer all together with their more traditional southern plantation style. I'm curious to see how these will do in the brick-centric Dallas market.
This place is even more north of where you will be living?

Wonder what the prices will be.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
This place is even more north of where you will be living?

Wonder what the prices will be.
I've heard this place will be nice

for me, even where Socketz is a little too far north, it is beautiful though

Old 05-06-2007, 08:12 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOK222 View Post

you know it's funny out here, back in the DC area, any of these houses that we have looked at would be NICE houses. a 400k house here, if you pick it up and plant it on River road in Potomac it would be 3 million easy.

out here there are SOO many nice big brick houses!

Seductive huh ?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOK222 View Post
I've heard this place will be nice

for me, even where Socketz is a little too far north, it is beautiful though
Since I'm off Custer and about 8 miles from the 75, I'm actually closer to my work in Richardson now than I was when I was looking in SW Frisco (recall that the 75 swings really east around Allen). 3 miles closer. My wife also bonded more in Stonebridge. She was buying my Frisco pitch on the platinum corridor, lower taxes and all that, but I think she liked the pesonality/topography (hills sell) of the new place. Then there's the yard. In Frisco, we could never find even a modest size yard with any house we liked. The mix just never felt right. I guess the rear entry garage is what really killed it. Nonetheless, I still like visiting Stonebriar (15 mins away).

I heard Tucker Hill will start in the mid-300s. I'm curious to see where they go from there. The market is soft.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Since I'm off Custer and about 8 miles from the 75, I'm actually closer to my work in Richardson now than I was when I was looking in SW Frisco (recall that the 75 swings really east around Allen). 3 miles closer. My wife also bonded more in Stonebridge. She was buying my Frisco pitch on the platinum corridor, lower taxes and all that, but I think she liked the pesonality/topography (hills sell) of the new place. Then there's the yard. In Frisco, we could never find even a modest size yard with any house we liked. The mix just never felt right. I guess the rear entry garage is what really killed it. Nonetheless, I still like visiting Stonebriar (15 mins away).

I heard Tucker Hill will start in the mid-300s. I'm curious to see where they go from there. The market is soft.

Socketz, now.. for real...

are you saying there are "rolling hills" in Stonebridge? I haven't seen any hills out here

Old 05-07-2007, 05:29 AM

Your over in Frisco, very flat there as I believe those were cotton fields at one time. Probably the flattest part of the Metroplex (I still like it though).

Go a little east and there are lots of 'Gentle' rolling hills.

I qualify these as "I can stand in the upstairs of a house and look at the windows down onto the tops of other houses"...that's about as hilly as you get here from what I've seen.

It definitely gets hilly in Mckinney. There is an area called Ridgeview that actually has some homes that sit pretty high on the hill and have nice views (close to Custer though, so the noise can be bad). My area has some pretty nice hills as well, such as the one that goes up to the school. You'd get winded walking up this hill on a hot day.

Anyway, it's one of the things we liked about the area we choose. I also like that there is alot of local history located in the town center (back to 1800s). The shopping, especially eating, is far better in Frisco. However, once Mckinney Town Center builds out and Market Street is done (121 and 75), it will get alot better (but Mckinney needs to stop building Pizza joints). There is also the 'Stonebriar Lite' mall that will go at the Tollway and 380. That one is still only 5 miles away from me. Close enough, but not on top of me. I like it that way.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-07-2007 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: No real estate websites.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
As a cyclist that has done the Collin County Classic - I can vouch for there being some decent hills in McKinney. Lots of chip'n seal also.

Socketz - don't forget the mixed use facilities going in at Stacey/Central on the other side of the expressway from the Allen Outlet mall. Those plans are pretty awesome, too.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
think this started as ploy to make mass-produced homes look "unique" and play into the Old-Worlde design that so many volumn builders have gone to...most of those turret rooms are studies which really aren't useable as office and since it is a small room decorating is not that difficult...

Old 05-07-2007, 03:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
The look is classic as long as it is restrained - this Hutsell-designed Lakewood Blvd home proves it:
Attached Thumbnails
Why the Unusual Castle Architecture?-lakewood_collage.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas