Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 04:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

I see police patrolling on 190. It will either be the local GPD in Garland or the DPS (state troopers). Their main places to sit are under Hwy 78 in Garland and all stretches of 190 in Garland, right over the bridge coming over 75 going west on 190 and near Midway. In Carrollton on Rosemeade between Marsh and Josey. In Plano on Central either direction, couple of years ago they would have one up on the overpass radaring then radioing which car to stop. There are lots of places they sit. Several years ago Carrollton was bad about going in and lowering overnight the posted speed. Somehow a few weeks later the speed limit would be back up to what it was before. Hmmm. In Garland on Lavon Dr/Hwy 78 between Castle and State St is another hot spot. Richardson has a couple of hot spots too they like to sit.

Oh, and as a native, I ALWAYS use my turn signals and try to be polite. It has gotten a LOT worse lately with people not using them and not letting you merge. If you will notice there tend to be a lot of people that drive w/ blinders on to what is around them. I'd say it is a LARGE mix of people from EVERYWHERE here now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 07:05 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
Its not knowing what the speed limits are, its that everyone else is driving faster than the speedlimit. I drive a bunch on 820 and 183 in and around the airport because for some reason I am the dedicated taxi driver in my family. Hubby has to run out at least once a week to the airport.

When we were out tonight, I actually saw the first state trooper and had pulled someone over (of course).

Old 05-07-2007, 07:01 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
I will tell you that I do not recommend speeding on the Tollway. Especially if you're going against traffic and 10 or miles above the limit....

Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Wait a minute ... I got royally bashed because I spoke out about the tailgating in another Texas city forum. You mean it happens to other people too???

Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,757 times
I feel like people out here drive Slow and dont use their turn signals.

The thing I notice that is SO different is that at a light when the light turns green, in DC everyone takes off, people even tend to watch the other light and when it turns yellow get ready to go!

here it seems like the light turns green and the person in front just sits there for 3 seconds or so... then slowly goes.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Wait a minute ... I got royally bashed because I spoke out about the tailgating in another Texas city forum. You mean it happens to other people too???
ALL THE TIME! It's bad here for that. I just got honked at this AM on westbound Royal near Hillcrest, by some redneck honky yahoo in his pick-me-up Chevy 3/4 ton, trying to move me along in the right lane! And I was already doing 40 in the 35 zone.

So, I dropped down to 35...

Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
That reminds me, did they ever find the guy that shot that man in Garland while his wife was driving the speed limit in a construction zone? I think it was in Dallas, but he was from Garland.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,072 times
Guingirl, as I read the topic post I could not help but chuckle, and was wondering if maybe it is not the native Texans that are the problem, but all of those who have relocated there, like you said Californians are not good drivers.

MBG

Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
That reminds me, did they ever find the guy that shot that man in Garland while his wife was driving the speed limit in a construction zone? I think it was in Dallas, but he was from Garland.
It happened in Dallas. The man lived in Richardson I believe, or was staying in Richardson as they were moving back to the Dallas area. He grew up in Garland, believe graduate of South Garland High.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Guingirl, as I read the topic post I could not help but chuckle, and was wondering if maybe it is not the native Texans that are the problem, but all of those who have relocated there, like you said Californians are not good drivers.

MBG
I'd have to say it is more than likely the majority of NON Texans that you witness driving so bad. There are sooooo many people that live in this area not from just other states but cities that driving was never even considered a part of life since mass transit was the sole means of transportation. Then they move to a place that one must have a car and drive for the first time never having had a real driving lesson. Then throw in all of the people that move here from other countries, talk about a totally different mindset when it comes to driving. I'm not kidding when I say if your behind someone that is going REALLY slow (and it is not a Buick ) chances are they are not a native of this country. Not that there is anything wrong with that but it is a totally different culture and it flows into their driving habits. Now if your behind a car going really slow and it is a Buick, 99.9% of the time, senior citizen.

Something else also interesting is how drivers ed is now handled. Back when I was growing up this was a course taken IN the schools pretty much statewide. Then you had to go take a driving test WITH an officer in the car to get your license. Now one can either go pay a drivers ed school like Sears or many other independent ones or do the parent taught. Sorry but I've seen enough bad examples on the road of some of these so-called driving schools that I've gotten their number and turned them into the state. I'll be doing the parent taught and found out from our insurance agent that they have a kind of "mini course" of the type of "scare'em" videos we used to have to watch and if your teen does that you get a discount. I also found out that the state no longer has anyone have to do the road test w/ an officer in the car to get their license. It might "offend" someone. OH GEEZ! Sorry, but I think we need to go back to that. Gaurantee that if probably half the people on the road had to get their license renewed w/ a mandatory road test w/ an officer in the car they would flunk. Okay, off to write those folks in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas