Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times

Advertisements

I believe they are fundamentalist churches repackaged as modern venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,164 times
I just started visiting Watermark, and I have to say, it is the healthiest church I have been to in a very long time, and I am a retired missionary. Emphasizing truth, connection, and accountability, is everything the bible tells us to do. It sounds like a lot of these comments are more gossip than truth.
They do not say that their way of doing things is the "Only" way, so it can't be considered anywhere close to the definition of a cult. It is Biblical and expected, that when you are doing what is right, there will be opposition and criticism. More power to them. You you wonder what is truth or fiction, go to the source and find out first hand.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,116 times
All I can say is new Christians beware..and mature Christians, be alert and faithful to the Word of God where we are commanded to love one another..no matter what. Legalism is deadly and silence about it is just as deadly. I've been deeply affected by the legalistic influence at WM and I would not wish that on anyone. I'm in the gruelling process of trying to decide if I should leave WM altogether. It's a difficult thing to know that you go to a church that expects complete submission and loyalty from you but doesn't care about you in return. Judgement at WM is all too frequently referred to as 'love'. If you can call it 'love' then its ok..not.
A definate legalistic trait and an astonishing number of members are ok with it. Many great qualities about WM but the legalism is not one of the qualities. I wish ppl would be willing to educate themselves on what legalism is, where its truly rooted and learn about how completely dangerous it is to a church and every person who attends that church. Anyway, thats my experience. I wish I had been more aware before making myself so vulnerable.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:42 AM

Forgot to add another serious concern I've had about what is taught at WM church is no mention of the Holy Spirit as the One Who empowers the sinner to change, heal and grow. I hear a lot of Watermark programs being advertised as a way to recover from addiction, abuse, grief, marital problems etc.. But haven't heard any sermons yet on the Power in the Blood of Jesus or in His Holy Spirit. The sermons are more geared toward a self-made walk where holy and righteous living is achieved through the effort, self discipline and determination of the individual. There is always teaching about how Jesus came to save the sinner but there does not seem to be any compassion for those who struggle with sin. Instead the sinner is judged because they didn't stop the sin in the alotted amount of time under the prescribed method which is going to cure the sin struggle. The prescription is usually one of Watermark's helping programs and accountability to a group of ppl who will basically further judge the progress of the sinner in question. The one's doing the judging are usually deemed holy and righteous enough in Watermark's standard of measure. The shunning that follows the failure of the sinner's efforts to stop sinning, is heartless and merciless. I know this from personal experience. It will be a long recovery from the trauma of the experience and it's impact has fully awakened me to the evil of legalism. On a positive note, however, the experience showed me again how faithful, loving, kind and merciful our God is. When the church turned its back on me and left me to suffer alone, God was there telling me, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Old 09-11-2016, 03:42 AM

update from the last post:
I no longer attend Watermark church. I found a church that supports and encourages its members, unconditionally.
To church seekers coming into Dallas; look around before you settle into a church.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:13 PM

537 posts, read 597,559 times
Are there any good non-denom churches that don't treat creationism like it's part of required dogma to believe in order to be considered a Christian? It's the biggest thing that bugs me about some churches. I've been to a few churches around here that essentially treated me like an unbeliever because I happen to believe in both God and science and reject Young Earth Creationism.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:02 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
Are there any good non-denom churches that don't treat creationism like it's part of required dogma to believe in order to be considered a Christian? It's the biggest thing that bugs me about some churches. I've been to a few churches around here that essentially treated me like an unbeliever because I happen to believe in both God and science and reject Young Earth Creationism.
I think the following would be a non-complete list, in no particular order.

Methodist
Episcopalian
Presbyterian
Lutheran
Unitarian
Congregational
Unity

As far as I know, the above do not require a belief in the literal truth of every single word in the Bible.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:18 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,375 times
Wow...

Some of the comments above serve as great fodder for those that reject religion in its entirety. I think some posters here would have found fault with Christ himself. He wouldn't have quite measured up to their 'biblical' standards of what constitutes a 'Christian'. The irony does not escape me.

Very enlightening nonetheless.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:31 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearypilgrim14 View Post
update from the last post:
I no longer attend Watermark church. I found a church that supports and encourages its members, unconditionally.
To church seekers coming into Dallas; look around before you settle into a church.
Good for you. I posted in this thread many years ago and my thoughts about Watermark have only grown stronger over the years as I have seen many friends change for the worse because of their membership.

If you feel comfortable sharing, where do you attend now?

Old 09-12-2016, 03:33 PM

631 posts, read 884,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Wow...

Some of the comments above serve as great fodder for those that reject religion in its entirety. I think some posters here would have found fault with Christ himself. He wouldn't have quite measured up to their 'biblical' standards of what constitutes a 'Christian'. The irony does not escape me.

Very enlightening nonetheless.
Didn't you get the memo that Evangelicals have a new leader for the 21st century, Donald J. Trump? Jesus is more like Messiah Emeritus now.

Jeffress Would Vote for Trump Over Jesus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: