Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times

Advertisements

DFW has, in my opinion, a better presentation of foreign, art and specialty films than comparable metros such as Washington, Boston, Houston and Philadelphia. In addition, we have about a dozen film festivals each year, including such heavy hitters as the AFI Film Festival and the Dallas Video Festival. The USA Film Festival is also up there somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 AM

DFW is very entertaining as far as sports. We have everything... indoor and outdoor football, a major league and 3 minor league baseball teams, major league hockey, b-ball, soccer, NASCAR... and we have the best stadia and arenas to watch them in... DFW is about the only place that can pay one billion dollars for a stadium with 10 football games a year, and the AA Center is, in fact, the most expensive arena in the United States.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 AM

There are a couple of national-level guidebooks that review restaurants, and one of them is very-very prestigious... I won't mention its name, but it awards stars for hotels and restaurants. In terms of the number of starred restaurants, DFW usually comes in 4th or 5th, usually on a par with San Francisco, and ahead of places like Washington, Boston, Philadelphia and Houston.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Good question. I've always thought DFW under-delivered on these types of things.

Beyond those, name the last big music star to come out of the DFW music scene. (I'm not talking manufactured stars like Kelly Clarkson and Jessica Simpson.) Denton has a bigger music scene than Dallas.

Movies? Well, maybe if Dr. T. and the Women is your idea of great achievement.

It seems all the creative types have to leave town to attain success.

Maybe it's because DFW is *so* diffuse (really, when was the last time you went to DT Fort Worth?) that it just doesn't have a critical mass in any one location.
Dallas Symphony is quite good.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
I don't know why anyone replies to DWong's posts. I'm assuming Dwong is male so that being said all he ever posts in the Dallas forums are baited questions under the guise of wanting to have an honest and meaningful discussion.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
I don't know why anyone replies to DWong's posts. I'm assuming Dwong is male so that being said all he ever posts in the Dallas forums are baited questions under the guise of wanting to have an honest and meaningful discussion.
Perhaps he is from Houston.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Where are you - on these lists? Fun, entertaining I guess arn't words to describe the area?

Is it true what they say about DFW - place to work, live in nice suburbs, but that's where it ends apparently?
Show me your lighting bolt Dallas!

America's Most Entertaining Cities - Forbes.com

Best Cities For The Outdoors - Forbes.com

America's Most and Least Favorite Cities: Where Americans Do—and Don't—Want to Work and Live - BusinessWeek
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...lionaires.html

Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Perhaps he is from Houston.
No. He is from and is IN California.

Do a search of his posts. They are all the same. As portyhead said, nothing but "baiting".

Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Do a search of his posts. They are all the same. As portyhead said, nothing but "baiting".
Well, dont think all Californians are like that!

Most of us are quite nice, especially those of us from SoCal. NorCal dudes can be very snobby.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:45 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

I think he's depressed since everyone from Cali is moving this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas