Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
I'd get the lot with the creek.

This train isn't a regular commuter train that rushes by every 15 minutes but a freight train a few times a day that is slow (=low rumbling noise instead of loud swoosh) with the occasional whistle. The HOA should lobby the city to require automatic railroad crossing bars at all crossings so that the train doesn't have to use its horn.

I view the "noise" as a bonus - makes it more interesting.
Hi, My wife and I are considering buying a house that is near the creek near the RR tracks and backs to HWY 78. These lots we see are the last to go. The train appears to be no problem too anyone we've talk to or done research with also. Our concern is the noise from HWY 78. We were at the perspective lot at 5:00 PM on a Tuesday and it was pretty loud but at 6:00 the traffic it was less. The house would sell in the summer or fall because the trees will be there. If HWY 78 stays the same then it's a slam dunk to buy that lot. But 78 is being expaned and our concern is it just going to get louder and louder. We can add accoustic cancelling sound system but that $$. We could do trees with 8' fence. We think we can sell it but we have to listen to the noise. So we're kind of stuck because this is the floor plan we've wanted for months now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,731 times
I live in north Garland not far from Firewheel Mall.

I hear the trains sometimes, but they are not loud
and it doesn't bother me at all.

What utility company will you have there ?

~

Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
Default Street Names

This is a late reply, but you can get all this info at the HOA website [url=http://www.provenceatfirewheel.org]Firewheel[/url] the direct link to the pdf is [url]http://www.provenceatfirewheel.org/doc/History%20of%20Street%20Names%20for%20Provence%20@ %20Firewheel.pdf[/url]

Old 09-29-2010, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,556 times
Has anyone bought in this neighborhood recently? Do you think this neighborhood would ever build a pool or playground? Is thiszoned for abbett elem?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,556 times
I agree it's not the train, it's 78! We were there midday Saturday and Sunday and it's busy/loud.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 PM

264 posts, read 625,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovnmylittles View Post
Is thiszoned for abbett elem?
Garland ISD does not use attendance zones for their schools. The "choice of school" is made by the parents. The school selection process takes place every January.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:18 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
The closest elementary schools are Abbett and Luna but like previous poster said, it's a choice of school district.

The neighborhood is still slow to build out, only sold less than 20 homes this year and a handlfull of them were foreclosures. There's one on the market right now that will probably sell below 300K which will hurt the next sales of the area.

Naima

Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
While the Garland ISD is "choice of schools" there ARE attendance zones. You are zoned for a particular elem, middle & high school. The students that live in that attendance zone get "first dibs" if they put the school in their zone as their 1st choice. Those that do not live in that attendance zone come afterwards if they put a school outside their attendance zone as their 1st or 2nd choice. You do not have to pick the school that is in your attendance zone if you do not wish but you are not guranteed a slot in that school year to year. You CAN get bumped if there are students that live in that zone that pick it and fill up the space first. Even the elementary G/T magnet schools have attendance zones. The one for that area is Walnut Glen.

The process to get into a magnet program starts in the fall w/ parent meetings. Those should be coming up soon in October and November. The elementary choice of school form is in March.
■Secondary Choice Period (Grades 5-11)
January 21 – February 19
■Elementary Choice Period (Grades PreK-4)
March 2 – March 31

As for which elementary school for Provence, Luna Elem is actually closer to those homes. Go with Luna over Abbett . Not only is it much closer it is MUCH easier to get to and from than Abbett would be from that location.

No, there will not be a neighborhood swimming pool in that subdivision. I know several people that live there and all seem to really enjoy it. It is not a big neighborhood by any means and sales are slow all over the metroplex.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 09-30-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
How much is the dollar per sqft in this community I am interested in buying with highland homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: