Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,527 times

Advertisements

Speaking of grocery stores, is there anything close to a Trader Joe's in Dallas? Any word a TJ's might be coming to the metroplex? Whenever I travel back home I have to end up going to Whole Foods or Central Market, WF and CM are great but I just prefer my Trader Joe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Jimmy's Food Store- Dallas, Texas is the gold standard - Owner Paul DiCarlo and his wife, Annette, went to high school with me.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:25 PM

8 posts, read 20,013 times
Here is what I would be doing. watch the slideshow of pics on the first page for an example.

http://www.primaveraitalianspecialties.com/

It would be smaller and more gourmet and lots of prepared foods..,let me know what you think, this is a relatives store who I used to be in business with before i moved and the this is the type of establishment I would like to open.

Last edited by primo123; 10-05-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo123 View Post
It would be smaller and more gourmet and lots of prepared foods.
I meant smaller than Jimmy's food store.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:23 PM

217 posts, read 1,045,836 times
I think there is definitely an interest for specialty food stores of any kind in the Dallas area. In reference to it only being viable in the heart of Dallas - that's rubbish. Of course you can't open a store like that in a blue collar part of town but Plano and Frisco both have areas of town that could support a store like that. If anything the store would do better there because of all the transplants from the East Coast looking for a little slice of home. If there was a place like that within a 15 minute radius of my home I'd probably be a regular.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
I think there is definitely an interest for specialty food stores of any kind in the Dallas area. In reference to it only being viable in the heart of Dallas - that's rubbish. Of course you can't open a store like that in a blue collar part of town but Plano and Frisco both have areas of town that could support a store like that. If anything the store would do better there because of all the transplants from the East Coast looking for a little slice of home. If there was a place like that within a 15 minute radius of my home I'd probably be a regular.
Good to know.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
A new woodfire grill opened up in downtown Plano a couple months ago. Packed every time I've been there.

I do think there's a market for what you are offering and I agree it doesn't have to be in Dallas to work. We'd love something like that way out in Murphy. ;-)

Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
primo123, I wanted to let you know that I just sent you a direct message with a possible suggestion. All the best!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 AM

thanks..

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
There's a place in Richardson run by a guy from New Jersey. Carmen's Bagel Cafe and Deli. It's mainly a bagel shop, I think, (they're good) but he also sells what are supposed to be authentic back east sandwiches, I guess. I had one once - it was pretty good, but waaaaaaaaay overpriced at close to $10 for a sandwich served a la carte with a little pile of discolored cabbage next to it for garnish. Perhaps if it really is "just like home" it would be worth the price to somebody to assuage those cravings.

I really like the very friendly owner but so far the two different cashiers working when I've been there seemed pretty out of it. I think the owner does most of the work, guess he's better at making good food than hiring good people!

I'm a little surprised the place has made it this long, based on the prices and restaurant failure rates, so perhaps I should go give it another try.

To the OP, I think your grocery could do fine in any of the northern suburbs, including Richardson, but we ARE saturated with ethnic markets in the area already - just not Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas