Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:54 AM

15 posts, read 87,122 times

Advertisements

I so have to agree...when I was living in Lewisville, I used to tell people I worked on Harry Hines-many locals stopped laughing long enough to tell me that saying that made me sound like a hooker. I dont think you should live as far away as Lewisville-the commute could be a nightmare, but I definitely would not move around Parkland. Thats a scary area after dark. There are beautiful areas nearby, but most of those come with a hefty pricetag. I second what the others are saying about Irving, North Dallas (I'm thinking the Midway area), Farmer's Branch, Carrollton. Please dont take your baby to the Parkland area, its way too rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Or she could have worked at one of the many "off brand name" shops like Sam Moon down on Harry Hines. We used to cruise down Harry Hines after making our stop on Walnut Hill for beverages. Till the time a friend yelled out at the girls some lovely comments and we got stopped at the red light by them. ACK!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, right around Parkland is not the hooker hangout. I don't think they hang out on Harry Hines anyway much anymore, do they? There are some decent/okay neighborhoods back off of Harry Hines in that part of North Dallas but no apartments. Very industrial part of town. If you go south of Parkland on towards downtown Dallas you will have the Uptown area and the new developments going in around Victory and the American Airlines Center (home of the Mavs and Stars). It would be a VERY easy commute for sure and a lot of new apartments/townhomes/condos. May be a bit more pricey but it would save on gas. Depending on where you live you'd have a ton of places to walk to eat and shop. I'd avoid the Oaklawn area (nothing at all against the people that live there but it won't tend to be a very "family friendly" area in the traditional sense, known as more of an area for those that chose an alternate lifestyle ).

Be careful out in some parts of the Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area w/ the Carrollton-Farmers Branch schools as a lot of the apartments are also government subsidized so there may be elements that are just as bad if not worse than what would be around the hookers on Harry Hines.

Going towards Lake Highlands in the Dallas area there are some apartments and if you stay in the Richardson school district you will be in a VERY family friendly area w/ a lot of active parents in the community. May even be able to find a nice house to rent in this area. Try to stay as far from Skillman in this area.

Lakewood is also a very nice area in Dallas. Good schools in this area in the Dallas ISD. Not many apartments in this area though.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Or she could have worked at one of the many "off brand name" shops like Sam Moon down on Harry Hines. We used to cruise down Harry Hines after making our stop on Walnut Hill for beverages. Till the time a friend yelled out at the girls some lovely comments and we got stopped at the red light by them. ACK!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, right around Parkland is not the hooker hangout. I don't think they hang out on Harry Hines anyway much anymore, do they? There are some decent/okay neighborhoods back off of Harry Hines in that part of North Dallas but no apartments. Very industrial part of town. If you go south of Parkland on towards downtown Dallas you will have the Uptown area and the new developments going in around Victory and the American Airlines Center (home of the Mavs and Stars). It would be a VERY easy commute for sure and a lot of new apartments/townhomes/condos. May be a bit more pricey but it would save on gas. Depending on where you live you'd have a ton of places to walk to eat and shop. I'd avoid the Oaklawn area (nothing at all against the people that live there but it won't tend to be a very "family friendly" area in the traditional sense, known as more of an area for those that chose an alternate lifestyle ).

Be careful out in some parts of the Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area w/ the Carrollton-Farmers Branch schools as a lot of the apartments are also government subsidized so there may be elements that are just as bad if not worse than what would be around the hookers on Harry Hines.

Going towards Lake Highlands in the Dallas area there are some apartments and if you stay in the Richardson school district you will be in a VERY family friendly area w/ a lot of active parents in the community. May even be able to find a nice house to rent in this area. Try to stay as far from Skillman in this area.

Lakewood is also a very nice area in Dallas. Good schools in this area in the Dallas ISD. Not many apartments in this area though.
I live in Lake Highlands, and I have to say that you probably do not want an apartment here. The area improvement committee is trying to get rid of most of them. They are crime-ridden drug havens. I'm sure there are a few that are fine, but seriously, you'll have your fair share of crime if you choose an apartment in LH. You definitely could rent, though. There are also some nice townhomes that would be a good rental option, too.

I love Lake Highlands. It is very family friendly, and we have tons of trees and are still close to shopping, downtown, White Rock Lake, etc. My daughter goes to our local elementary. Almost all of Lake Highland's schools are fantastic.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I live in Lake Highlands, and I have to say that you probably do not want an apartment here. The area improvement committee is trying to get rid of most of them. They are crime-ridden drug havens. I'm sure there are a few that are fine, but seriously, you'll have your fair share of crime if you choose an apartment in LH. You definitely could rent, though. There are also some nice townhomes that would be a good rental option, too.

I love Lake Highlands. It is very family friendly, and we have tons of trees and are still close to shopping, downtown, White Rock Lake, etc. My daughter goes to our local elementary. Almost all of Lake Highland's schools are fantastic.

Good luck!
Oh I know. That is why I said stay as far away from Skillman as possible. I drive down Skillman just about once every other week and it is fine for that and all but the apartments are another story. I like that they have redone the shopping center (again, lol) w/ MiCocina. And now the big development planned to get rid of most of the lower end, older apartments and old strip shopping centers to build a nice new town center type of place w/ shops and housing. That will be REALLY nice. I'm so glad to finally see a lot of the older shopping centers around that have been allowed to decline see new life and be revitalized.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Rantanamo is right - there is some serious redevelopment around the hospital district. We both belong to an "urban" forum where we keep up with such things. DART is changing the area - everything from there over to Lemmon Ave is being completely transformed.

But I don't know much about the schools around there. You can probably transfer or get into a magnet. Travis on McKinney is great.

Otherwise, I say move to East Dallas and take Fitzhugh over..

And there are apartments in East Dallas. Most are smaller complexes. They're being redone too... but there are a lot of duplexes to eightplexes and some smaller rental houses. A good less expensive (but kept very nice) apartment area is along University (near SMU) between Greenville and Skillman. It's also in Stonewall Jackson Elementary. But there are some new condo conversions and some are slated to be knocked down.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:02 PM
seb

7 posts, read 28,704 times
I work at Parkland and have a short commute over from near east Dallas/Arts District. Takes me 10 min tops. East Dallas is a great area.
You can take Ross to Pearl to Harry Hines.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
I'll agree that you do NOT want to live in the immediate area surrounding Parkland! I also used to work down near there, and it is very bad! Our building once had windows shot out from a gunfight at the strip club next door, and we frequently had homeless people begging on the corner of our parking lot.

Carrollton would be a fairly easy commute and it has good schools in some places. Lakewood area of Dallas would also not be an awful drive.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 41,703 times
Default Harry hines by parkland

Yea that area is like far west dallas or better yet northwest dallas has crime. Jus off inwood those back streets over there off harry hines and record crossing i think thats the arlington park area its pretty bad and like two stop lights down the street by grawyler park thats lovefield it had that bad cheese drug everyone on the news was talking about last year over there i wouldnt move my kids any where off harry hines i would move north probably by marsh lane or north park mall its better over that way they have some crackheads but not as much as harry hines

Old 07-16-2008, 01:10 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'd avoid the Oaklawn area (nothing at all against the people that live there but it won't tend to be a very "family friendly" area in the traditional sense, known as more of an area for those that chose an alternate lifestyle ).
If by "alternate lifestyle" you mean gay, it's not a choice

Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
If by "alternate lifestyle" you mean gay, it's not a choice
Oh please let's not start that argument. I beg

Oak lawn is a great place to go with kids though. I take Liam there occasionally and a child down there is enough of a novelty that people are always so nice, and so talkative with him. Zeuss comics is there and it is one of the most child friendly comic stores I know. They love the five year old rummaging through the Doctor Who toys for the one he's saved his money for. They always recognize him when we s how up and talk Doctor Who or Superman with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas