Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,940 times

Advertisements

We have quite strong possibility to move either to Dallas TX or to Atlanta GA. We have 2nd grader and would like to focus on his education. We are currently living in Tampabay are in FL. I've been researching the schools and communities around Dallas and Atlanta but I can't tell the which is better place for raising a kid. At this moment we are thinking of sending him to a public school, so I'd like to know the detailed area information as well. In Dallas, I'm checking Flower Mound and Coppell. In Atlanta, Alphareta and its surrounding areas. University Park in Dallas seems to be providing great public shools but house is horribly expensive (We're thinking of $300,000). Please advise if any. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:30 PM

62 posts, read 297,037 times
Can't speak to ATL versus DFW, but yeah, Highland and University parks are quite pricey. There are many more areas with good schools in your budget. If you want to stay in Dallas, you might look at Lake Highlands (75243/75238) which is zoned to Richardson ISD, though some areas of Dallas have great elementary schools. Lakewood,75214, Preston Hollow,75230, and my neighborhood Lochwood, 75218, come to mind. Lochwood has homes in that budget and Martha T. Reilly has been recognized for two years now, on its way to exemplary status.Of course in the city, you'll find older housing, e.g. these are a couple of houses on the market right now in Lochwood
Moderator cut: no advertisning allowed

Wherever you search in DFW, you'll find this link handy:

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...list.srch.html

It's the Texas Education Agency site where you can find ratings for all districts in the state. Here they are rated Exemplary, Recognized, Academically Acceptable and Academically Unacceptable. Best wishes with your decisions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-08-2009 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: links didn't work

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You can compare school within a state on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link), but not across state lines. You can check any school in any district in either state.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,252 times
I've lived in Flower Mound for 10 years and have a 5th and 8th grader in LISD. I'd be glad to answer any specific questions that you have - feel free to PM me if you'd like or I can answer here.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,940 times
Thank you for the information. I've been checking any information about Atlanta and Dallas right now and I read a couple of comments that Atlanta has more variety about nature and culture. However, I also read that the school education level may bit higher in Dallas area. I wonder if it's generally true...

Also, regarding Dallas area, we don't mind living suburban at all and so far hit Flower Mound and Coppell, Carrollton area when we research the good school district. If you see them as towns, which one is the "neatest"? I know it's kind of difficult question... We like to have as much trees as we can in the area.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
If you're thinking about atlanta I would stick with the cobb county area, the public schools in the county are some of the best in the state. Now alpharetta is a great city with great schools as well, it's in fulton county, but single family homes in that area tend to be a bit more than 300K. You may also want to try gwinnett county as well, but stick to the duluth,ga area when thinking about schools in that county. In considering Dallas, I agree with all the previous posters, also don't overlook the plano or southlake area school system, both are great.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
I would choose Dallas. The quality of life is much better. I am currently relocating from Atlanta to Dallas for this reason.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
If you're thinking about atlanta I would stick with the cobb county area, the public schools in the county are some of the best in the state. Now alpharetta is a great city with great schools as well, it's in fulton county, but single family homes in that area tend to be a bit more than 300K. You may also want to try gwinnett county as well, but stick to the duluth,ga area when thinking about schools in that county. In considering Dallas, I agree with all the previous posters, also don't overlook the plano or southlake area school system, both are great.
I agree. If you decide on Atlanta stick with the East Cobb schools. You can find a nice older (10-20yrs) home in the top Atlanta area school districts in that price range. We are currently researching Dallas for a relo and I have to say there are a lot more choices (areas) with excellent schools. In Atlanta you are limited to either Alpharetta (Johns Creek especially I think it is Northridge Highschool) and East Cobb (anything that feeds into Walton Pope or Lassiter high school). But as you probably already know, traffic is an issue so chose wisely in that regard.

Atlanta is the urban forrest. Many hilly pretty green areas in the suburbs as well as the city.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Regarding the weather, I think you will find Atlanta more tolerable.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
I would ask yourself which place "feels" like a better fit. You can find great schools outside every major city in the U.S., but which place sounds like somewhere you can't wait to move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas