Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 32,491 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Tx to take a job near Parkland Hospital and I am gathering info for a house-hunting trip in a few weeks. I am looking for a community in the N. Dallas region that has excellent schools for my 15 and 11 year-old children (I am a research chemist, so math and science are especially important....), a friendly and pleasant community, some open green-space, and.... a reasonable commute. The commute really worries me. I would be grateful for advice about which communities to focus on during my brief visit. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Honestly, rather than looking north of Dallas, look a little west to Grapevine. https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/ Your commute to Parkland will be about 25-30 minutes from here. Grapevine has excellent city services, a gorgeous library and community activity center, and very reasonable property taxes (thanks to the revenue we get from DFW Airport). Grapevine-Colleyville ISD schools are VERY well-rated: Grapevine Colleyville Independent School District Many people move to this area because of the wonderful schools.

You don't state your price range, but I assume from yout chosen profession that it would be $200k and up. Good luck with your move!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:22 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Yeah, Grapevine or Flower Mound. The commute may be busy but you'll be exiting one or two exits before the downtown pile up, Motor St or Inwood.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM

I was looking at Grapevine when doing my Internet homework but was not sure about the commute time. However, it does not seem too bad from your comments. Thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 PM

I used to drive from Grapevine to Mockingbird/I-35 at rush hour and it took 20 minutes. Add 10 more minutes to get to Parkland. Most AM traffic is heading up TO Grapevine, not away from it.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 PM

ChristieP,

You have been very helpful. Can you suggest parts of Grapevine (and vicinity) to focus on when we make our housing search? We will be visiting in mid-Nov to tour the area before accepting the job offer I have in Dallas. We would purchase a house this spring.

My kids are 15 (boy) and 11 (girl). Both are very good students and are in their schools' talented and gifted program, play recreational soccer, enjoy being outdoors, and would like to be in a neighborhood with other kids. Some open green-space nearby would be great. A neighborhood that is condusive to taking family walks or bike rides. An area with houses in the range of 2700-3200 square feet and a nice size yard. By and large, house prices are secondary to this (within reason..).

Can you suggest areas in Grapevine and vicinity that I can follow-up with research before our visit?

Thanks Again!

Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 PM

149 posts, read 567,698 times
My husband works at UT Southwestern and we are in Coppell. Easy commute in the mornings 20-25 minutes unless there is a wreck or he leaves unusually late. Great schools, lots of nice big parks, good organized sports teams and within easy distance of great malls, dining, etc. Right up the road from Grapevine. Housing may be a bit more than Grapevine but you can't go wrong with either city.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Of course you don't have to live in a suburb - check out East Dallas/Lakewood 75214, 75206, 75223 (Woodrow Wilson High and feeders) we have a lot of people in the medical profession as we are close to Baylor and Presbyterian Hospitals, too.

Also try W.T. White High and feeders, which is a bit closer. Hillcrest High area would be another in North Dallas.

You could go to work from any of these without getting on freeways or tollways.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 PM

jekutz,

Thanks for your response. It looks like we should visit Coppell when we visit Grapevine. Can you suggest any particular region within Coppell? It would be great if I can focus-in on areas to visit when we fly-in to make our trip in a few weeks.

Thanks again

Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Here is the city's website so you can get more familiar with Grapevine: City of Grapevine, Texas > Home

The best part of Grapevine is the area near Parr Park in southwest Grapevine. You get to this part of town by exiting Hall-Johnson Road off of highway 121, then turning left on Hall Johnson. The neighborhoods are off both sides of the road. Parr Park is very popular with Grapevine residents and there are walking trails that go through nearby woods, etc. Here is the city's Parks & Rec website: City of Grapevine, Texas > Individual Departments > Parks and Recreation > Parks (http://www.grapevinetexas.gov/IndividualDepartments/ParksandRecreation/Parks/tabid/247/Default.aspx - broken link)

I will be honest: the housing market in Grapevine is always tight, even with the recession. You will need a good Realtor who will send you the new listings and you will need to be able to look at houses the DAY they come on the market!

Coppell is OK, but you have to pay Dallas County taxes, which are significantly higher because of Parkland Hospital...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas