Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,991,974 times

Advertisements

we just moved and had to pay $750 for HOA. All I know so far is no weeping willows. Not a big deal what plants we can and can't plant, most peoples yards I don't really see many flowers in any area I have been too. I just want them to keep the trashy yard ornaments limited to 0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,971,724 times
I've owned homes in and outside of an HOA. There are good and bad to both. For me the bottom line is the people. If the people have a level of "community" and a bit of pride in their homes it's a nice place to live, if not ... not so fun.

Trouble in an HOA usually begins with a homeowner who has not reviewed the gov. docs. prior to buying and then learns they "broke the rules". It's kind of like saying I'll drive my car without reading the numbers on the sign - then, being upset for getting a speeding ticket. It's a no win deal.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,703,554 times
I actually really like our HOA. It's made organizing social events a lot easier and in a new neighborhood that is key to getting people to know each other. We have Curbside Cocktails, Easter Egg Hunts, Caroling, Fall Fest, National Night Out.

AND when a vigilante group associated with a TV show decided to use our neighborhood to film their show, we were able to rally a lot faster. There were conflicting views about the benefit of the show vs the sensationalism of the show but the key point is we were on it like white on rice. I am certain there are many other neighborhoods where people might have noticed odd goings on but didn't know anyone to mention it to. Or heck, might not have even noticed what was out of the ordinary.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,743,561 times
Does HOA stand for Home Owners Association or Home Owers Association?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 PM

6,714 posts, read 13,923,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Does HOA stand for Home Owners Association or Home Owers Association?

Depends on the HOA. I have seen both apply

Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 PM

16 posts, read 36,734 times
I would not even consider buying a house that was not in a HOA.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 AM

989 posts, read 2,492,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Diva View Post
I currently live in one and I think these types of organizations are way too strict and regulated. They prohibit so many things, which in a way is appreciated, because the neighborhood as a whole looks neat and uniform. It seems that there is very little wiggle room to really show that you have authority over your home, especially the exterior, example: this place is so regulated that holiday decorations are very limited when displayed, and the number of plants outside, no bikes to be left out on the lawn overnight. Is there anyone else out there who has some HOA good or bad stories to tell?
HOAs stick. HOAs are like finally moving out of your parents house to find you now have a new set of parents, but this time they cost you a monthly fee.

Buying a property then having to ask permission from your neighbors to erect a shed in back is ludicrous in my opinion.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:45 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,507,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
HOAs stick. HOAs are like finally moving out of your parents house to find you now have a new set of parents, but this time they cost you a monthly fee.

Buying a property then having to ask permission from your neighbors to erect a shed in back is ludicrous in my opinion.

AMEN TO THAT! Kudos for you.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,507,927 times
I purchased a home in a HOA, that was suppose to be very lacks on everything.....which is was for the first six months I was there....then the HOA was taken over by a outside company and new rules were in place. It was more like which neighbor can tell on who & Wistera Lane.

I got a letter at the first week or so of spring about my small...and I mean small weeds in my flower bed. You would have to come up to my door and move my bushes in order to see the small weeds. They were like the clover type close to the ground. We also got a letter for parking in OUR driveway and not in the garage. Our neighbor got one for a few kids toys she left at her front door.

I put a for sale sign in my yard and sold this house...even though I loved the home. And MOVED into a hood with NO HOA>

Last edited by LQQKOUT; 10-22-2009 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post

Because sheds are ugly. Depending on the neighbourhood, unless you have a huge yard with lots of tree's. A shed looks awful! yes your neighbors can see that eye sore everyday, and sometimes it can be seen from the street. horrrrrible.

Same goes for lawn ornaments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas