U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM

16,086 posts, read 38,566,264 times

Advertisements

With new performing arts center, a star is born: Dallas | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Cheryl Hall | Business Columnist | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/chall/stories/102009dnbushall.3ce5470.html - broken link)

"I've often wondered if there was a defining moment when New York, Chicago or San Francisco knew that it had moved beyond its original commercial reasons for existence and had come of age culturally.

I've wondered, too, whether Dallas would ever reach that point.

I believe it just did"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM

Guide to the AT&T Performing Arts Center | Dallas-Fort Worth Dallas Center for the Performing Arts | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/dcpa/stories/0806dnentdcpamain.b4ab40dd.html - broken link)

Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM

Recent D Magazine Frontburner posts on the opening of the center:

Dallas Blog, Daily News, Dallas Politics, Opinion, and Commentary FrontBurner Blog D Magazine » Performing Arts Center opening

Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM

25,161 posts, read 50,986,986 times
I think you are being melodramatic about this. Dallas has always had opera, symphonies, and the performing arts for the past two decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
With new performing arts center, a star is born: Dallas | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Cheryl Hall | Business Columnist | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/chall/stories/102009dnbushall.3ce5470.html - broken link)

"I've often wondered if there was a defining moment when New York, Chicago or San Francisco knew that it had moved beyond its original commercial reasons for existence and had come of age culturally.

I've wondered, too, whether Dallas would ever reach that point.

I believe it just did"

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 PM

12,674 posts, read 24,937,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I think you are being melodramatic about this. Dallas has always had opera, symphonies, and the performing arts for the past two decades.

No way! This is a huge accomplishment for the city that took 30 years to execute. The arts district has been written up in this month's New York Times, Town&Country, Elle, etc- the worldwide arts community IS looking. I was recently in Europe and struck up a conversation with an Australian couple who had read about it- they brought it up!

World class architecture and all of the fine & performing art venues on a 3 block span- no other city in the US (not New York, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, LA) can boast that.

This is a huge win for the city, even if it takes the average citizen another decade to realize it. I don't think Forth Worth realized what a gift all of Van Zandt's land was- hundreds of in-town acres that became the Kimbell, Aamon Carter, and Modern museums, and the Japanese Tea Garden and Botanical Gardens. But now- what a treasure for FW.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,716,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No way! This is a huge accomplishment for the city that took 30 years to execute. The arts district has been written up in this month's New York Times, Town&Country, Elle, etc- the worldwide arts community IS looking. I was recently in Europe and struck up a conversation with an Australian couple who had read about it- they brought it up!

World class architecture and all of the fine & performing art venues on a 3 block span- no other city in the US (not New York, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, LA) can boast that.

This is a huge win for the city, even if it takes the average citizen another decade to realize it. I don't think Forth Worth realized what a gift all of Van Zandt's land was- hundreds of in-town acres that became the Kimbell, Aamon Carter, and Modern museums, and the Japanese Tea Garden and Botanical Gardens. But now- what a treasure for FW.

So agree. What is more tragic are all of the people that are afraid to venture into Dallas to experience any of it. They don't realize what they are missing and it IS a wonderful experience and should not be missed. We have several neighbors, teachers, etc that are active in the arts community that are either attending just about every performance or they are in them. My daughters horn instructor plays for the DSO.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:13 PM

25,161 posts, read 50,986,986 times
The Kimbell has nothing on the DMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 PM

15,894 posts, read 16,614,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The Kimbell has nothing on the DMA.
The Kimbell is fantastic and so is the DMA. They are both exceptional museums.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:19 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,436,983 times
All I can say is I can't wait to see Cosi Fan Tutte at the Winspear! btw, is there a good website listing upcoming events for the entire arts district? I'm not too familiar but would love to become more acquainted.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM

porty, they are trying to coordinate and have one site for all ticket purchases which would also include the Nasher Sculpture Garden, Meyerson Concert Hall, DMA and Trammell Crow Asian Art Collection.

Here's the new website for adjoining Woodall Rodgers Park (construction this weekend will close down the freeway) The Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas