Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 AM

87 posts, read 213,762 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Wondering if anyone might be able to throw out some approximate figures for expanding an existing home. I am looking at a smaller ranch style home on a nice lot. If I were to buy the property, I would add a 2nd level, modify the current 1st level's layout a bit and redo the facade. It is possible, though unlikely, that I'd want to expand the footprint of the home as well. I realize this increases costs significantly so trying to avoid this route.

Can anyone help out with some very rough $/sq ft costs for this type of work in the Dallas area? I would probably do some of the finishing work myself. There would need to be plumbing and likely 2 new bathrooms setup in the new level.

I've relocated from the NY area and assuming that costs will be much lower than what I am used to here.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,759,596 times
When I read the post, I ask why not find a house w/a floorplan that you like. The costs of construction for the type of work you are considering can easily add up to more than the extra cost of buying an exisiting house w/an additional 1000 s.f.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:48 AM

63 posts, read 389,349 times
What you are proposing will cost MORE than building a new home. Find a new lot or tear that house down and start over.

Twenty two years in this business and I would not do what you are propsing for my own home, even for a lake home.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 AM

That may be true sometimes but this house seems well priced for the neighborhood. I think I come out ahead (by a lot) vs. buying the square footage up-front.

Thanks for your response - any thoughts on the approx cost?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 AM

Sorry can't do that. To many varibles.

Not trying to be rude so please don't think that. There is no way to tell without loking at it. Remodel will always cost more than new constrcution double and sometimes triple.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
What you are proposing will cost MORE than building a new home. Find a new lot or tear that house down and start over.

Twenty two years in this business and I would not do what you are propsing for my own home, even for a lake home.
No kidding? This is very commonly done in the NY suburbs for around 100k or less depending upon the exact details/situation. Just curious why it would be different? Wouldnt it be easier to remove the roof & reframe the second level vs. rebuilding from scratch?

Old 05-09-2007, 09:17 AM

Definitely not.

You will have to re-frame the lower level as well as the walls, unless built correctly will not support the added weight of the second floor. If the walls are framed on 2' centers with 2 x 4 you will have to completely re-frame the downstairs walls. All of the headers will have to come out and upgraded to double 2 x 12's. You will have to make sure the walls will support the load bearing areas of the second floor, IE the floor joist. If they land in between the studs you will have to add "cripple" studs under them for upstairs load bearing support.

Then you have to look even deeper at the floor. If it is concrete you may not be in trouble if it is P&B plan on rebuilding it as well.

This is a major remodel you are proposing. I know of a house here in town where the guy did just exactly what you are proposing. He took off the roof and added the second floor and the stairs, wired, did the plumbing added the A/C units and the windows the roof shingles. When he called for an inspection the City inspector told him the house would not support the weight of the second floor. He had to get an engineer out to do a study on the house ($3,000.00). The engineers report stated it would be less expensive to remove the home than it would be to fix it. The city response was to tear down the house to the foundation and start over. This home has sat in litigation for three years now. The owner has not been able to finish the home and has spent enough money in legal fees to build a brand new home. The house is posted for foreclosure by the city now for back taxes. The city has contacted us to remove the home from the lot. I agree with the engineers report 100%. The house framing will not support the second floor it is in an unsafe unstable state right now. I put pencil to it myself and I cannot fix it for less than tearing it down and building another on in its spot.

Mind you this is (was) a nice house in a nice very desirable neighborhood. I will have to remove the home at a cost of $8,000.00 To bring it back to it current position only built correctly will cost $76,000.00 LESS than fixing it.

Yes it can be done and done correctly. It is not something that can be taken lightly. You need to plan on all the drywall and all the electric in that house coming out.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:43 AM

Thanks for your very detailed response Carnut. Sent you a PM in response.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 AM

I got it.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: