Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:01 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I booked a hotel in Fort Worth. Does anyone know about the cattle drive in the Fort Worth Stockyards? Is it a hassle to get in or out and is the experience worth it? The website says it starts at 11:30 AM don't know if there's enough time.
It is neat to see. It's a small cattle drive. The Fort Worth Herd is about 12 longhorns. The parking there is mostly at the east end of Exchange, and you will likely have to pay about $5 for it. The shops in Stockyards Station, especially the art gallery, are nice.

Have a great trip!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:19 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I will definitely stop in either Strawn or Thurber for food. I just need to be in Abilene by around 4:30 in the afternoon. It is extremely helpful to know about the speed traps. A friend of mine had her license suspended recently in Virginia because she got two tickets within the same county on the same highway, both with the speed cameras! Usually I drive courteously but tend to speed sometimes on open highway with little traffic so now I know I've been warned

I booked a hotel in Fort Worth. Does anyone know about the cattle drive in the Fort Worth Stockyards? Is it a hassle to get in or out and is the experience worth it? The website says it starts at 11:30 AM don't know if there's enough time.
From Fort Worth you're going to get on I-30 if you're near downtown and head west. It merges with I-20 just west of Fort Worth. 147 miles to Abilene, a two hour drive, unless someone straps a coupla those steers to your bumper and you drag 'em all the way. It'll be an effortless drive.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:56 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
If you want to see some picturesque towns and some rugged hilly scenery, don't take I20. It's boring. You are better off taking highway 180 going west out of Weatherford, through mineral Wells and
Breckinridge. At the town of Albany, or a bit west of it, take highway 351 to Abilene.

Actually, all those towns have some visitor interest. Albany is said to have a surprisingly good if small art museum, Mineral wells is known for it's waters, Breckinridge has several downtown murals depicting it's history as an oil boom town. Abilene itself has a major historical museum with many audio-visual and holographic displays on the history of the region... It's quality is superb and I'd call it a don't misss. The town also has a fairly good art museeum downtown with an excellent restaurant next door.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
If you want to see some picturesque towns and some rugged hilly scenery, don't take I20. It's boring. You are better off taking highway 180 going west out of Weatherford, through mineral Wells and
Breckinridge. At the town of Albany, or a bit west of it, take highway 351 to Abilene.

Actually, all those towns have some visitor interest. Albany is said to have a surprisingly good if small art museum, Mineral wells is known for it's waters, Breckinridge has several downtown murals depicting it's history as an oil boom town. Abilene itself has a major historical museum with many audio-visual and holographic displays on the history of the region... It's quality is superb and I'd call it a don't misss. The town also has a fairly good art museeum downtown with an excellent restaurant next door.
Unfortunatley because of time constraints I'll be taking I-20. In your opinion though, would it be more worth it to see the cattle drive at the Stockyards or swing by Mineral Wells?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:21 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Thanks for everyone'se suggestions and tips, I really appreciate it! I will definitely stop in Strawn as I've always been fascinated by small town USA and since I'm on a budget as a grad student so I'm staying on the cheap side . And I do know local places like Mary's are always the best compared with the chains, it is the same here in Maryland where the best seafood is in small town places frequented mostly by locals and which are not heavily advertised on brochures. Thanks again to everybody who's replied and I do look forward to going to Texas!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:42 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
The Cattle Drive in the Stockyards is something you should see if you have the time. Mineral Wells has an old hotel where people would stay when they were in town for the mineral water baths. That's about it in Mineral Wells. I'd skip Mineral Wells this time around.

The highway between Ft. Worth and Abilene is great. It's an easy drive. Just don't speed and watch it particularly between Ft. Worth and Weatherford. Also, there are lots of patrol cars between Eastland and Ranger.

The first coal mine in Texas is along the highway. I can't remember if it is in Strawn or Thurber. You'll see the very high smokestack. The diner there is good.

Abilene is a very nice town. I graduated from Abilene High back in the day. It's a very pro-military town and you'll see a lot of American flags on cars. It is also the home of the B1 Bomber at Dyess AFB. The three universities in Abilene are all affiliated with churches.

Abilene Christian University is Church of Christ.
McMurray University is Methodist.
Hardin-Simmons University is Baptist and is also the school where Oprah's boyfriend, Stedman, played footbal back when the school had a team.

Just say "hi" to everyone and smile. You'll fit right in. Folks are very friendly and helpful.

Remember to watch your speed on the highway. I've gotten a few speeding tickets on I-20 between Fort Worth and Abilene over the years.

Have a good time and a safe trip.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Unfortunatley because of time constraints I'll be taking I-20. In your opinion though, would it be more worth it to see the cattle drive at the Stockyards or swing by Mineral Wells?
The Fort Worth Stockyards. No doubt about it.

There is a highway rest stop on the eastern border of Palo Pinto county that has some picturesqely hilly terrain.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
You have to be in Abilene for 4:30 and you are worried about where to stay, being late etc.? Wow!

I recently left Dallas at 8:00 a.m. on a motorcycle and was in Abilene by 11:00 a.m. for a luncheon appt', then back in Dallas by 4:30 p.m.

If you have that much time, why not come in the morning of your app't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas