Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 10,664 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Canada (near Toronto) and are looking to relocate to the Southern States. My father-in-law has a place near Phoenix, and I am just totally in love with that city. However, I have a very strong job opportunity in Dallas. I'm trying to decide whether to jump on that opportunity, or wait it out for something in Phoenix. What I love about Phoenix: the heat, the low humidity, the night-life (my wife and I are in our low twenties), and the palm trees. How does Dallas compare to Phoenix?

Up here in the Great Lakes region it gets extremely humid, and it is very rainy. These are the two things (along with snow) that I hope to either ditch or reduce substantially. I don't mind a rainy day now and again (I love lightning storms and really windy weather), but getting precipitation 3 out of 5 days a week, for months on end... that blows. I have no kids, so I just care about a straight-up comparison of the cities' climates and lifestyles.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Last edited by canadaphil; 05-09-2007 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Get ahold of the poster "SpeedyAz". He lives in AZ and has been to Dallas and is actually looking to relocate here. I've noticed a lot of posters trying to also get out of AZ and Texas is one of the options. I think the real estate market there has kind of reached a plateau and leveling out. Dallas and Texas in general has a slower appreciation in property values.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:57 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Thanks to Momof2DFW for recommending me.

We actually have a thread on the Phoenix board right now on "Dallas vs Phoenix" //www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...s-phoenix.html however I feel it has gotten a bit out of control and has turned into a sh*t throwing match. Hopefully the members on this board will be able to provide you with more info than I can.

Quote:
I currently live in Canada (near Toronto) and are looking to relocate to the Southern States. My father-in-law has a place near Phoenix, and I am just totally in love with that city. However, I have a very strong job opportunity in Dallas. I'm trying to decide whether to jump on that opportunity, or wait it out for something in Phoenix. What I love about Phoenix: the heat, the low humidity, the night-life (my wife and I are in our low twenties), and the palm trees. How does Dallas compare to Phoenix?
I fell in love with Phoenix whem I was in my upper teens and decided to move here. I love the area I live in but a job opportunity has arisen in Dallas which is just too good to pass up. As for how Phoenix and Dallas compares:

Phoenix has a better climate overall. The winters in Phoenix are GREAT but the summers are a pain. Dallas is a bit colder in winter and does get occasional ice. The summers in Dallas are HOT but not as hot as Phoenix, on the flip side Dallas is much more humid than Phoenix. I'd say spring and fall are petty evenly matched.

The nightlife is considerably better in Dallas. There are tons of areas in downtown and uptown Dallas notably Deep Ellum and Greenville Ave. while Phoenix has some nightlife but it's mainly limited to Tempe on Mill Ave. and in Scottsdale. Tempe has the more college-aged crowd while Scottsdale has the more wealthy, young and single clientle.

The palm trees in Phoenix are great! It's great to see palm trees in the middle of the desert and while some hate them, I love 'em!

Dallas seems to have the stronger economy overall. More white-collar jobs in Dallas than in Phoenix.

There are more restaurants in Dallas than in Phoenix also. More variety in eating options yet I'd dare you to find better Mexican food in Dallas than you will in Phoenix.

Shopping is a bit better in Dallas. Scottsdale boasts some great designer names but Dallas has more of a variety.

Housing is more affordable in Dallas. You'd be looking to spend $300K or over to find a decent home in Phoenix while you could find a nice home in Dallas for $150K. Both have wealthy areas and VERY wealthy areas. If you do move to Phoenix, definetly look at Scottsdale. Prices may be steep but it really is a great place to live.

Overall I'd say pick Dallas. Don't get me wrong, I truly love Phoenix. The golf courses, the beautiful mountains, the palm trees, and all this desert scenery is awe-inspiring but overall I think Dallas has more to offer than Phoenix.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:07 AM

13 posts, read 106,058 times
Phoenix may have better Mexican food, but you can't compete with texas when it comes to Tex-Mex!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 106,058 times
Also, I read somewhere that Dallas has more restaurants per-capita than New York City. Whether this is true or not I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever had a problem finding a new place to eat... or a new bar to drink at.

On top of Deep Ellum and Lower Greenville, there are tons of bars in Uptown (the crowd is more of a "act-rich" type)

Old 05-10-2007, 01:34 PM

9 posts, read 62,425 times
Hi. I'm actually from Nova Scotia and have also lived in Ontario. I have been living in the southern part of Tucson for the past 2 years and have recently travelled to Texas (both Austin & Dallas) several times in the past few months - checking it out for moving purposes.
The things to know about Phoenix:
1. It gets really hot. I too, love the heat and hate Canadian winters, but after spending 2 years here in the desert (& we're usually 5-10 degrees cooler than Phoenix) it gets very inconvenient in the spring and summer when you don't even want to go outside past 9:00 AM - getting in and out of your car during the middle of the day is extremely hot
2. It is not green at all - yes there are palm trees but mostly around trailer parks and malls (there are not as many palm trees as pictured in Phoenix travel brochures).You may get tired of all the dust. One of the top ten places in the USA for allergies. I never had them in my life, now after 33 years, I got 'em.
3. There are lots of great things to do - lots of bars, shopping, & other touristy stuff
4. I find it's easy to get around - freeways are planned well
5. Keep in mind unless you make a lot of money, you will have to live at least appx.40 min outside the city to buy a house (maybe Goodyear or Surprise) and its not like Toronto where it is an urban sprawl between the city and the burbs - Also, you will most likely love Scottdale, but good luck with being able to afford the housing
Dallas
1.Obviously it is a lot bigger than Toronto or Phoenix. I lived in Los Angeles for 5 years, so I know what big is - Dallas still feels big. I dont feel that their freeway system is the best, but they are adding to it all the time.
2. Lots to do!!!
3. You will get more for your money when it comes time to buy a house and you will be a lot closer to amenities than you would be in Phoenix
4. I was surprised at how green Dallas was. Of course, more humid - Again, it's not as bad as Ontario. Coming from Canada, I think you would be very happy with the Dallas weather. Keep in mind that Phoenix gets alot more sun. Dallas gets more cloudy days.

Anything else I can tell you - just ask. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas