Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 15,828 times

Advertisements

we may be relocating to tx and for the job need to be within 30-45 minutes of mckinney. we'd like to be just a few miles from a nice town, fairly close to schools, but still with a country feel. we're coming from hills and rivers so we're already sad about the lack of whitewater kayaking, but we'll manage (weekend trips or something). but we'd love hills, trees, lakes, camping, biking, outdoorsy stuff. we have kids and a dog and want room to run and explore, good schools, good athletic programs, church programs, nearby camping...
i have a bunch of suggestions, but i'm not sure how to narrow it down. it's hard to tell what the town's really like from a map.
any suggestions??
1. 30-45 minutes from mckinney
2. hills, trees, rivers, lakes
3. outdoorsy stuff to do (bike trails, hiking, etc)
4. good schools (any good resource to compare them side by side?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times
What about Prosper Tx, I don't know a lot about it but they have good schools and it is quieter than Mckinney, Frisco etc

Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,287 times
why not "Mckinney" ?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Parker, Lucas, Murphy, Fairview. All WAY more of a "country feel" than what you will find in Frisco, McKinney or Allen. Bar if you go WAY FAR east in Allen and McKinney you will find a few areas that have that "country feel". Lots of homes on acreage, near lots of parks, some border the Plano municpal golf course, etc. This area is where those w/ the big bucks live that don't want to live w/in the city limits of Dallas. The rest of the areas are nothing but your typical newly built subdivisions. Sorry, but most of McKinney, Allen and Frisco........they don't have that "country feel" at all. You will also find more trees, creeks, small rolling hills, old farmsteads, small ranches and ranchettes in these areas and be within minutes of Lake Lavon. Granted since this area has been growing you will still find many of the typical subdivisions.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Murphy ? I agree Fairview may be a good choice because of lot size and proximity to Lovejoy ISD, maybe Lucas, but Murphy feels like a upscale part of East Plano - Parker just cost alot, so I never think to recommend it.

Mckinney is huge in size and has some pretty rural areas in the northern portion (around Erwin Park?). I got lost out there a couple of times. Not exactly what I'd call suburban. I know the mountain bikers love that area.

Not sure of the schools though in those parts.

But for the rivers and lakes portion, I think the east side of the 75 has more to offer. More like man made lakes and streams though.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:28 PM

28 posts, read 97,334 times
Look into the Lake Lavon Aea. We moved here from Hill Country and love it. We are in Seis Lagos (neighborhood)which is not technically in Lucas (75002 r Wylie(75098). Our lot sizes are minimum of 1/2 acre with a neighborhood feel. No wooden or chain link fences allowed . Beautiful lakes mix of older and brand new custom

Old 05-27-2007, 10:36 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Live in North McKinney and then spend weekends at Lake Texoma which is due north up Highway 75 on the Texas/Oklahoma border.

You don't want to get into too rural a school district.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:41 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Live in North McKinney and then spend weekends at Lake Texoma which is due north up Highway 75 on the Texas/Oklahoma border.

You don't want to get into too rural a school district.
I agree. Even in the rural/older parts of Mckinney, the schools are not nearly as good as in the denser suburban areas. In most rural areas, private schools are not an option either unless you want to drive. I think you can find something pretty rural east of the 75 in either Mckinney or Allen. As Mom suggested.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
Seis Lagos, we are looking there too Beth. My husband is mesmerized with it because of the lakes, he loves to fish and my little boy is crazy about fishing too. How is Wylie schools? I know half go to Wylie there and the other half go to Lovejoy. What section are you in? I find it interesting the way they made the roads through there, with one half of the older area being together with the homes close together and then the newer section with the roads more meandering. Is there any sort of proposal to make the neighborhood more balanced and to blend better the old section in with the newer area?
I really like the appeal of living there due to the ammenities, would like to know your take since you live there. Oh too, how far is it to shopping for groceries ect.? I remember the last visit, it was pretty far but we were driving around all day and I did not really clock the miles to the grocery store. Thanks

Old 06-14-2007, 11:46 AM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Smile Watters Crossing in Allen, TX

I'm originally from Western PA and I can feel your pain about missing the hills and natural scenery. My husband and I came out here on a house-hunting trip a few years back and fell in love with Watters Crossing because it's unique to the neighborhoods in the area. The land used to be a farm and was developed in the mid-90's to retain as much of the natural trees on properties, wooded areas and water as possible. It's situated near 75 and Bethany and it has a stocked fishing 'lake' (large pond is more like it, but still..), walking trails, a creek and the usual neighborhood trappings like a soccer-sized park, several playgrounds and two pools. It'd be about 15-20 minutes from McKinney and is within a mile of several grocery stores, plus there is a new outside shopping park under construction to the south of us (S/W intersection of Bethany and 75). Plus it is adjacent to award-winning Norton Elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: