Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:31 PM

434 posts, read 1,482,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The quality of life and "city" feel in Dallas is much better than what you will find in most of Florida. I say, make the move!

if you mean texas charm--sure I agree. You would have to define quality of life.

There are people that like the dryer climates and browner grass and people who like the lush green parts of the country better. Can't be mad at someone for what they like.

I prefer the wake up to the ocean view quality of life for now but I wouldn't mind looking out at hills or prairies either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
You coudlnt be more off with your statements.

Your saying Dallas has more manicured yards than Florida? That's ridiculous. It depends on the neighborhood not the state!

You said Dallas is more upscale, cultured, sophisticated. Thats not true either. There are some VERY wealthy areas in the state that are upscale, and cultured. Just about every famous/wealthy person has a home in Florida.

One thing your right about is the difference in the appearance of homes. Homes in Florida are built with cinder blocks and covered in stucco. And most have a Mediterranean look with the tile roofs. Homes in Dallas are for the most part made from brick.

You said you never lived in Florida but traveled through. I lived in Florida for 14 years so I know a little about the state.

Tell the people that live in this neighborhood Star Island Single Family Houses Miami | Miami Beach Luxury Waterfront Homes For Sale On MLS that they are not upscale and sophisticated.

I'm pretty sure Tom Hicks has the most expensive home in Dallas worth about 40 mil. There are multiple homes worth more than 50 mil in South Florida.

Interesting article here shows that Florida is second to California as having the most millionaires. #1 is California #2 is FLorida #3 is New York And #4 is Texas. Florida Beats New York for Millionaires - The Wealth Report - WSJ

And where in in Texas can you have this as your back yard?
(I took this picture at Peanut Island in West Palm Beach)
---

how dare you show this picture? who do you think wants to be reminded that there is no crystal blue water here?
I want to live in my man made utopia -- lol
ban these pictures of life from the outside please

Old 10-31-2009, 03:37 PM

55 posts, read 184,885 times
Default Sarasota Pics..

I lived in SW Florida for 6 years before moving to Frisco last year. I miss the "world's finest, whitest sand" , the gulf beaches, and being able to lie out in a bikini on New Years Day.
I don't miss the traffic, the over-priced homes, and all the elderly out at 5:30 PM trying to drive to dinner every night. It was very frustrating driving amongst the 80- 90 year olds.

Here, you can get much more home for your money and I personally make a better salary here, than in FL.Any Floridians that relocated to  Dallas?-siestacondoview612.jpg

Any Floridians that relocated to  Dallas?-siestasunset1.jpg

Old 10-31-2009, 03:59 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Coral Gables, SoBe, North Miami Beach and Coconut Grove are nice areas. However, I think architecturally there is more opulence here in Dallas. Highland Park, Preston Hollow and U. Park (to name a few) are gigantic compared to Coral Gables. Also, most people in these areas live in apartments/condos. In Dallas you are talking about free standing - custom made - mansions.
I love both cities. But in terms of elegance and architectural significance, Dallas by a comfortable mile. Dallas is old money, Miami is nouveau riche.
As a Coral Gables fan, I don't quite agree with this. I'm not disputing your larger point that North Texas might have more wealth than South Florida but Coral Gables itself isn't particularly small and, unlike South Beach, Brickell or Coconut Grove, I'd say free-standing, single-family homes (including many older mansions) outnumber apartments/condos. According to the link below, the population of CG is around 42,000 and covers 11.8 square miles, dwarfing Highland Park's 2.2 square miles and fewer than 10,000 residents. Even if you include University Park (pop. 24,000 and 3.72 square miles), you don't equal CG in terms of population or square miles. If you throw in Preston Hollow, then you outpace CG.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Highland Park, Texas : QUICK FACTS

//www.city-data.com/city/Univer...ark-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Dallas-TX.html

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 04:49 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 04:27 PM

86 posts, read 244,367 times
Dave,
It seems as though there are others that also share my uh.... what was it you said.... "ridiculous" views? haha It's okay... I understand you're a Floridian, and I obviously hit a nerve! Sorry about that... I actually love Florida and came very close to moving there a few years ago. For whatever reason, you read stuff into my post and presumed some things about my opinions towards Florida that are untrue. I know there's a lot of wealth in Florida. I've seen a lot of it and have been through a lot of wealthy neighborhoods. As a general statement, I just see Florida as a more laid-back place. Since I'm saying in "general," understand I don't mean every square inch of Florida. Laid back is good though, is it not?

Star Island is beautiful - were you trying to show an upscale neighborhood with curbs though? If so, I didn't see the curbs?? I saw lots of neighborhoods like that in Florida - very gorgeous homes.

And you're right, you can't get a Dallas house with an ocean view in the backyard!!! Gorgeous picture.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM

15 posts, read 33,363 times
Being a Floridian(Tampa, FL) that has been living in TX for over 2 years ( I visit DFW frequently). I did not find much difference in terms of geographical landscape with the exception of the beautiful bodies of salt water like everyone so kindly posted. Dallas is just as flat as Florida as far as I can tell every time I"ve flown/driven to there, weather of course is night and day.

Even living down here in SATX we still feel land locked although the water is about 2 1/2 drive away, which is too long considering that the beach used to be 30 minutes away, but so far no complaints about TX in general. I tell you what I love about Dallas, that I can't currently get where we are, or could't get in my area in FL.... and that's choices in terms of career opportunities in my field (*nix engineering), as well as the myriad of variety of foods which both myself and my wife are a fan off, and most importantly accessibility to the rest of the world in terms of air transportation.

I shall make you my backyard one of these days !

Old 11-01-2009, 05:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
As a Coral Gables fan, I don't quite agree with this. I'm not disputing your larger point that North Texas might have more wealth than South Florida but
Yeah I have to scratch my head about this too. Certainly if one compared D to Pensacola or J'ville, D would look positively regal. But vs SFLA, I dunno. Nobody's even mentioned the real heavyweight - Palm Beach. That's pretty opulent, as is imho pretty much all of A1A from Ocean Drive to PB. Fischer Island, Bal Harbour, Brickell, all those star-studded islands. HP is opulent - but SFLA is utterly spectacular.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Coral Gables, SoBe, North Miami Beach and Coconut Grove are nice areas. However, I think architecturally there is more opulence here in Dallas. Highland Park, Preston Hollow and U. Park (to name a few) are gigantic compared to Coral Gables. Also, most people in these areas live in apartments/condos. In Dallas you are talking about free standing - custom made - mansions.
I love both cities. But in terms of elegance and architectural significance, Dallas by a comfortable mile. Dallas is old money, Miami is nouveau riche.
-----

again are you kidding me?

palm beach--ooooooold money. opulence - dallas - ha! not compared to palm beach island

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas