Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:21 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times

Advertisements

People are not involved in Frisco ? I thought Frisco felt like Plano part #2 when I looked there....everyone seems to be busy bodies with a nose in everyones business. I think an increase in crime is directly correlated to almost doubling the population each year. That area was a farm town not that long ago right ?

Also, all of those northern burbs are full of stay at home moms. That's one of the draws, you get alot more for less, so your spouse doesn't need to work. Sure, some families are two working parents, but I don't think the percentages are any different than anywhere else here in the metroplex.

`Also as mom mentioned, new construction is a haven for criminals. I'm amazed at how easy it is to walk around construction sites here in dallas at just about anytime of the day. In CA, they are heavily guarded because people would rob them blind otherwise. As for the mall in Frisco, it does attract a ton of outsiders. When I take my kids there to play, I always chat with the parents and ask where they live....people come from all over to hang out at that mall. This was one of the reasons I don't like living down the street from that dense of shopping. 7-10 miles away is better for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 07:19 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I think an increase in crime is directly correlated to almost doubling the population each year.
Don't you think that might be stretching it a little bit?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:27 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
But hyperbole seems to be the new norm here.....

Here's population data from the North Central Texas Council of Governments for Frisco. (http://www.nctcog.org/ris/demographi...pestimates.pdf)

1980 3,499
1990 6,141
2000 33,714
2005 70,793
2006 84,650 (est)
2007 92,100 (est)

So the doubling every year is a bit exaggerated.

Last edited by GoPadge; 05-11-2007 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-11-2007, 01:36 PM

'05 to '06 increase of 20% is pretty impressive! Even a 10% increase to '07. It's cool to see those numbers. Crazy growth rates!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
And the increase in population is much less than the increase in crime.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 PM

But still well below the crime rate in Dallas. What's your point?

We freakin' get you, you think Dallas is the bee's knees of North Texas. But really, get over yourself. While Lakewood may be ok for you, it's not the be all and end all for everyone. Witness the 4.79 MILLION people in the Metroplex who DON'T live in Dallas.

At this point I could be given a house right on White Rock lake and I wouldn't move there strictly because of your representation of the area. (Well that and It's too far from work.)

Sorry not enough sleep last night, must have been all the peace and quite out in the suburbs.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
My point is that the reason I started posting on this board was because I had been told that Dallas was being bashed regularly by suburbanites harping on perceived crime and bad schools.

Reading past posts, I found it to be true.

The only way to get attention from the closed-minded is to have a strong offense and to fight fire with fire.

It must be working!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:40 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Let me just stop everyone here and give out a little warning. This forum is meant to help people with relocation. The Administrator (you know, the person who owns this website) does not want it to turn into a free-for-all bashing site. Therefore, we don't allow off topic conversations, personal attacks, trolling, etc.

With that said, let me warn all of you that this bickering about city vs. suburbs needs to stop. Your advice and opinions are appreciated but the arguments are not. If you want to argue the subject, by all means start your own website and carry on.

Any questions? If so, send me a PM.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:52 PM

No questions. Point taken.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:08 PM

While I love Dallas proper, I get on Lakewooder sometimes also. He's a little overzealous in his defense of Lakewood at times. But if you look at the root of his arguments, he usually has a valid point. Just not always the best delivery.

With all due respect, several people on this forum do try to twist statistics. It is clearly stated in the report that the crime statistics are normalized into a crime index. Some members here have tried to minimize these statistics by saying the "numbers appear to be hard statistics, not per 100,000" and then direct people to read page 7 and 8... ignoring the statistical analysis disclaimer on page one.

The statistical facts are this:

- Allen and Plano clearly have lower crime per capita than Dallas
- Dallas crime per capita went down 3.something percent
- Allen and Plano went up 20+% per capita each

Dallas still has a higher per capita crime rate. It has established that it is clearly working on lowering it - as is evident with decreasing overall crime for several years.

Allen and Plano have such statistically low crime - a one-year jump is statistically insignificant. Time will tell as to which direction it will trend - but I would be hard pressed to believe it will climb at a very quick rate - Plano and Allen are surrounded by very nice cities.

Dallas has some questionable neighbors. As Dallas cleans up - and that rejuvination spreads outwards, it could continue the trend of lowering Dallas crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas