U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,442 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

First time poster here! I love these boards - what great info! My husband recently accepted a position in Downtown Dallas for next summer when he graduates. I currently work in Plano, but don't mind commuting North since I'll be going against traffic. We've pretty much decided that living close to Downtown is critical for us since my husband does not want a 45 min + commute every day.

We plan on buying a house in the Lakewood area or Lake Highlands in the future (fell in love with these neighborhoods), but would like to rent for 6 months to a year to get more comfortable with the area before buying.

This Holiday season we plan on visiting apartments in the Dallas area. Any recommendations on safe, gated communities that have a Studio/Efficiency option? We'd like to save up for a downpayment, so a studio plan would help us do this.

We found this new complex in the UT Medical District that looked nice - but I've read some posts about safety concerns in this area.

http://www.alexansouthwestern.com/Floor-Plans/Floorplan.aspx?FID=52021

Would it not be safe to say - walk my dogs at night at this complex?

Any suggestions would be great! We'd be interested in apartments in the Lakewood area as well to start getting comfortable with the area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,657,825 times
You should walk around with the other residents during the home tour to get a feel for how they live in non-gated communities w/o fear.

Lakewood Home Festival Home

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM

12,401 posts, read 23,839,647 times
I would not recommend moving to downtown proper due to current lack of amenities (full grocery store, tailors, dry cleaners, etc).

As for Lakewood, wonderful area, but where do you work in Plano? If you work on the east side, Lakewood or Lake Highlands are both fairly easy reverse commutes. If you work on the west side, beware the 45-60 min commute from the heart of Lakewood (Abrams & Gaston). I commuted from Mockingbird & Abrams to the Tollroad & Legacy when I lived in Lakewood and it was horrible! There really is no easy east/west route to the Tollroad. Northwest Highway is very congested during rush hour, forget 635, and taking 75 to George Bush takes you very far out of your way to the east.

As for gated apartments, in Lakewood there is one complex on Brookside across from the Lakewood Country Club. I can't think of any other gates complex. Lakewood is very safe- you certainly don't need to be in a gated complex for safety reasons. We don't have gates subdivisions down here likethere are in Plano/ Frisco- no need! Not that there's a need in Plano or Frisco either; just seems to be an elitist suburb staple in modern America.

Regarding Lake Highlands, maybe Brian will correct me, but my impression of the apartments there is that they are low income and not very nice, whereas the houses are great. Maybe you could rent a house if you want to pursue LH and get a real feel for living there.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 10-28-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 PM

12,401 posts, read 23,839,647 times
Oh, and "no" to the Medical Center apartment complex that you posted above. The area is 90% industrial and medical, very little residential. 7-10 min drive to nearest grocery store. I would not feel safe walking a dog there at night.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:57 AM

5 posts, read 14,580 times
Default Re:Looking for Safe Gated Apartments for Rent in Downtown Dallas or Lakewood

Here, i get lot of in this thread. Because last many day i found apartment for rent and here i get this.
Thanks,
Adil

Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 AM

2,120 posts, read 5,864,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adil Mania View Post
Here, i get lot of in this thread. Because last many day i found apartment for rent and here i get this.
Thanks,
Adil
huh?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM

229 posts, read 556,617 times
Lol

Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,771,642 times
Lakewood is not really 'a gated' kind of place. Gates are anathema to our ideals of friendliness and inclusiveness.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:12 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,217,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie2k View Post
We plan on buying a house in the Lakewood area or Lake Highlands in the future (fell in love with these neighborhoods), but would like to rent for 6 months to a year to get more comfortable with the area before buying.

This Holiday season we plan on visiting apartments in the Dallas area. Any recommendations on safe, gated communities that have a Studio/Efficiency option? We'd like to save up for a downpayment, so a studio plan would help us do this.

Would it not be safe to say - walk my dogs at night at this complex?

Any suggestions would be great! We'd be interested in apartments in the Lakewood area as well to start getting comfortable with the area.
Oaks White Rock, Vista del Lago, Reserve. (Those near CasaLinda). They have studios, no problem with pets and sure to walk during night. (I've walked mine by myself at 3 am in the morning and I've even walked around the hospital nearby and it's absolutely safe).

I wouldn't go walk around the dark lake but that's common sense. (Several neighbours go running or biking on evenings and nights anyway).

I used to train in Plano and it wasn't a bad commute taking Lake Highlands, etc.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,442 times
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your help. TurtleCreek - I actually work in West Plano, so the commute from Lakewood does not sound very enjoyable. I was thinking maybe I could take Mockingbird to 75, and take 75 up to George Bush and over. Still looking at a 45 min + commute it sound like! Thanks for the fyi on the Medical Center apartments too! I didn't realize there were no close shopping areas, etc. What do you know about communities west of the Tollroad? Seems like living closer to the tollroad may be the best option since I would be going against traffic every day.

Lakewooder - definitely didn't want to come across as being unfriendly or non-inclusive. I've had to worry about my safety in the past, and gates make me feel safer when walking my dogs at night in cities I'm not familiar with. I know it's irrational. I've felt very safe visiting Lake Highland and Lakewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or