Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 10:09 PM

11 posts, read 61,690 times

Advertisements

New to Texas and never seen a place with such foundation issues. Thinking about purchasing a house in CH; however, it is terraced and has 2 retaining walls in the front. It has a post-tension slab WITHOUT piers. Would it be a bad decision to purchase this house without a piered foundation? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,338 times
I think you'll find that the vast majority of newer construction in the Dallas area is PT slab. For pier-and-beam you would have to look at older areas in Dallas proper or at some of the higher-end custom builders.

There are several threads on this forum discussing foundation issues - you might do a search for those to get some other opinions.

As far as CH, I recently purchased there and love the neighborhood. My home was built around 2000 - no foundation issues. I am not on one of the terraced streets, however. Is this new construction, or one of the pre-existing homes?

If you are concerned, I think it would be worthwhile for you to have an engineer (not just an inspector) look at the house during your option period.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,997 times
I am no expert, but I do have a good friend that lives in Castle Hills. They bought their house 3 years ago, and have NO foundation issues.

I think that most houses with pier and beam have more foundation issues than slab.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:23 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
Personally, you should get an engineer out to look at it. Do you have a friend or family who is a engineer? I know we were helped out of the situation due to the same circumstance with a lot by a creek which had no bedrock. We were set to build but then my step dad who is an engineer looked at it and begged us not too. For your peace of mind, you really should get someone to look at it and see if the retaining walls are ok and the structure safe. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:49 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,495 times
I've lived in the northern part of DFW all my life. My father was a mortgage banker...when you actually had to be degreed in that field. There isn't a house in this region that doesn't have the possibility of foundation problems. It's not the builders, it's the clay soil that this area has. My father always said...you live in a house long enough in this area ....you're gonna have foundation problem.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:08 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
I've lived in the northern part of DFW all my life. My father was a mortgage banker...when you actually had to be degreed in that field. There isn't a house in this region that doesn't have the possibility of foundation problems. It's not the builders, it's the clay soil that this area has. My father always said...you live in a house long enough in this area ....you're gonna have foundation problem.
I think your exactly right. From a geologic perspective, most of the metroplex shares the same exact soil, which is an enabler for foundation issues. It's merely a matter of time. That's really why foundation issues don't seem to be a big deal to people out here. If the issue was disclosed and the warranty transferrable, it shouldn't be a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: