Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Newer houses also have issues w/ plumbing, foundations, etc. Trust me. Been there, done that. And NO the builder does not always stand behind their work and that "warranty" is practically worthless. Just letting you know that there can be problems w/ new homes and that builders are not always the best at standing behind that worthless warranty. And don't dare think that the state board for homeowners to go to when they do have a problem w/ a builder will be there for you the buyer either. Builders have so many loopholes to get around actually fixing a problem that it is just downright pathetic.

I know of more NEW houses with foundation problems than I do older ones.
Sorry to keep posting on this thread like this but people setting themselves up for a commute that takes them an hour from their young baby just to have a new house irritates me.

My house's pier and beam foundation is 52 years old and rock solid. This guy needs to spit out the "new construction" Kool-Aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:22 PM

39 posts, read 92,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sorry to keep posting on this thread like this but people setting themselves up for a commute that takes them an hour from their young baby just to have a new house irritates me.

My house's pier and beam foundation is 52 years old and rock solid. This guy needs to spit out the "new construction" Kool-Aid.
Thanks for your advice. However, no need to be irritated about anything. Everyone has their own preferences and opinions, and not all of them will match yours :-)

Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,626 times
You wanted to hear people's opinion on the commute from Allen to 75/635 and Irving and the feedback was that the commute to 75/635 is annoying (because 75 is a parking lot during rush hour) and the commute to Irving is crazy (yes, 121 is not very busy but it is loooooooooooooong and expensive).

If anyone here would tell you that this is a reasonable set of commutes, they'd be very dishonest. Just accept that you'll have two awful commutes and buy a house in Allen (probably even far out east Allen -'cause it's cheaper and newer). You'll regret this decision once the newness wears off and once gas is above $4/gal but this is up to you and you'll have to live with that LOL!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
You wanted to hear people's opinion on the commute from Allen to 75/635 and Irving and the feedback was that the commute to 75/635 is annoying (because 75 is a parking lot during rush hour) and the commute to Irving is crazy (yes, 121 is not very busy but it is loooooooooooooong and expensive).

If anyone here would tell you that this is a reasonable set of commutes, they'd be very dishonest. Just accept that you'll have two awful commutes and buy a house in Allen (probably even far out east Allen -'cause it's cheaper and newer). You'll regret this decision once the newness wears off and once gas is above $4/gal but this is up to you and you'll have to live with that LOL!
And if the economy tanks one would be left out on the prarie with a teeny yard that they can't even plant a small garden in (IF the HOA will allow it) and a house that they couldn't give away if they tried. Closer in is SOOOO much better if the economy tanks completely as those values have proven time and again to hold a lot steadier and one can sell them a lot easier.

Wasn't there a post awhile back from someone that had recently moved here and drank the kool-aid and bought in McKinney. They ended up losing the job that transferred them here and the only job they could find after that was in Midlothian or Mansfield. They were left trying to figure out how to make the awful commute AND see if they could unload a house. Since it wasn't "brand new" the newbie's moving here bypass those as they too want "brand new". It's a tough pill to swallow but sometimes being in brand spanking new is not always the best financial judgement, depending upon location.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
Thanks for your advice. However, no need to be irritated about anything. Everyone has their own preferences and opinions, and not all of them will match yours :-)
Personally I think you are making a terrible decision at the expense of your child simply to have a new house.

I do not know why you are afraid of a house built prior to the turn of the century, but I can assure you that many homes built in the 1950s and 1960s are better-constructed than the spit-and-paper-mache' concoctions built by illegal labor and backed up by builder's warranties not worth the paper they're printed on out in Collin County.

It is very easy for people to be dazzled by appearances, but those houses only appear to be better. My friends in new construction, i.e. post 2000 houses, have far more problems (and more expensive ones) than friends in pre-1970 homes.

Personally I think you should re-evaluate your desire to buy new. The shorter commute you are talking about is undesirable at best, and far north Allen to Irving every day sounds like suicide on a stick.

I will continue to share my opinions on this even though I am not telling you what you clearly want to hear, i.e. "Sure, go ahead and buy new and get your butt kicked in traffic 5 days a week, and be far from your child in case something comes up...gotta have that granite and that media room!" Sorry, you will not hear that from me.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post

Yes, I did (and do) want to hear people's opinion. However, where do you see that I metioned that I am wanting people to tell me that it will be a reasonable commute. I wanted opinions and I got some great one's. An opinion should be an objective matter. No need to get into "I am frustated because these people want newer houses" or "You'll regret your decision". Those things are subjective. I hope you get my point.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And if the economy tanks one would be left out on the prarie with a teeny yard that they can't even plant a small garden in (IF the HOA will allow it) and a house that they couldn't give away if they tried. Closer in is SOOOO much better if the economy tanks completely as those values have proven time and again to hold a lot steadier and one can sell them a lot easier.

Wasn't there a post awhile back from someone that had recently moved here and drank the kool-aid and bought in McKinney. They ended up losing the job that transferred them here and the only job they could find after that was in Midlothian or Mansfield. They were left trying to figure out how to make the awful commute AND see if they could unload a house. Since it wasn't "brand new" the newbie's moving here bypass those as they too want "brand new". It's a tough pill to swallow but sometimes being in brand spanking new is not always the best financial judgement, depending upon location.
I really appreciate your posts; you gave me some good pointers and things to ponder on. I also agree that closer in is a better investment. That said, I don't like to look at a house as a financial investment. Also, it is not wise to pick one story and create a generalization around it. I know of 4 friends, living in McKinney, Frisco, Allen, and Colony, who brought brand new houses and are doing well in this economy. Should I assume that it works? Definitely not; that is why I am looking at my individual situation and making a decision around it. Economy tanking or losing a job is not in one's hand; so why fret about those things. Glass half full or half empty!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Personally I think you are making a terrible decision at the expense of your child simply to have a new house.

I do not know why you are afraid of a house built prior to the turn of the century, but I can assure you that many homes built in the 1950s and 1960s are better-constructed than the spit-and-paper-mache' concoctions built by illegal labor and backed up by builder's warranties not worth the paper they're printed on out in Collin County.

It is very easy for people to be dazzled by appearances, but those houses only appear to be better. My friends in new construction, i.e. post 2000 houses, have far more problems (and more expensive ones) than friends in pre-1970 homes.

Personally I think you should re-evaluate your desire to buy new. The shorter commute you are talking about is undesirable at best, and far north Allen to Irving every day sounds like suicide on a stick.

I will continue to share my opinions on this even though I am not telling you what you clearly want to hear, i.e. "Sure, go ahead and buy new and get your butt kicked in traffic 5 days a week, and be far from your child in case something comes up...gotta have that granite and that media room!" Sorry, you will not hear that from me.
I appreciate your opinion to re-evaluate, and we are still in the evaluation mode. We haven't made a decision to go either way. I did not say anywhere that I wanted anyone to tell me that I should or should not buy a new house or one out there. That decision will be based on many other factors besides our commute. What I don't appreciate is the ridiculing attitude that you are putting up on here. Like I said before, provide an objective opinion but keep the judgment to yourself. For all I know, we may end up buying an older house that is closer in; we just don't know yet.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
I really appreciate your posts; you gave me some good pointers and things to ponder on. I also agree that closer in is a better investment. That said, I don't like to look at a house as a financial investment. Also, it is not wise to pick one story and create a generalization around it. I know of 4 friends, living in McKinney, Frisco, Allen, and Colony, who brought brand new houses and are doing well in this economy. Should I assume that it works? Definitely not; that is why I am looking at my individual situation and making a decision around it. Economy tanking or losing a job is not in one's hand; so why fret about those things. Glass half full or half empty!
I think I know what you're saying about not looking at a house as a financial investment, just doesn't sound very homish. I plan on living in my home until they drag me out kicking and screaming to the old folks home. BUT, it really, really, REALLY IS and investment. The biggest investment that most people will ever make in their lives. The problem with many of these homes way out in the far-flung suburbs is that they are not appreciating, and many are actually losing value. They are not built to last, but rather to just look pretty until they sell. Paper mache', as someone put it, describes many of them very well.
I'm also a glass half full person, but I try to use my brain. Since you are not local, you haven't been able to watch these brand new suburbs being thrown up the way the people who live here (some of us born and raised in the Dallas area) have. Really, people are just trying to help.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:09 AM

339 posts, read 1,435,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I think I know what you're saying about not looking at a house as a financial investment, just doesn't sound very homish. I plan on living in my home until they drag me out kicking and screaming to the old folks home. BUT, it really, really, REALLY IS and investment. The biggest investment that most people will ever make in their lives. The problem with many of these homes way out in the far-flung suburbs is that they are not appreciating, and many are actually losing value. They are not built to last, but rather to just look pretty until they sell. Paper mache', as someone put it, describes many of them very well.
I'm also a glass half full person, but I try to use my brain. Since you are not local, you haven't been able to watch these brand new suburbs being thrown up the way the people who live here (some of us born and raised in the Dallas area) have. Really, people are just trying to help.
Have to spread the love around before I can rep you again, but +1!! Really sensible and considerate post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas