Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
Yes, I did (and do) want to hear people's opinion. However, where do you see that I metioned that I am wanting people to tell me that it will be a reasonable commute. I wanted opinions and I got some great one's. An opinion should be an objective matter. No need to get into "I am frustated because these people want newer houses" or "You'll regret your decision". Those things are subjective. I hope you get my point.
I was "reading between lines" that you have your mind set on the Allen location and that you were looking for confirmation from people on this forum that the commute is reasonable.

I didn't realize you were a long time resident of the metroplex. If I was you, I'd just get up early for a few weeks, drive up to Allen so that you're in the neighborhood you're interested in and then commute to Irving. Repeat in the evening. Do that for a month or so and then you'll know if you can stand the drive.

I thought you were a transplant who was impressed by Texas New Housing At A Fantastic Value Compared To California and just had to have the Shiny New House regardless of the commute.

p.s.:
Quote:
An opinion should be an objective matter.
Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 AM

39 posts, read 92,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You posted on a very lively public forum populated by some very opinionated individuals. Some of us are not going to say what you want to hear. If you feel that I am "ridiculing" you, it is because I think what you are proposing is asinine. Sure, other people do it; but that does not make them right for doing it. Also, your reasons (and other peoples' reasons) for not wanting an older house are, to me, baseless and ignorant. Any home of any age will have maintenance issues and needs.
Being opinionated is just fine but that does not mean that you shoud pass judgments based on what you think is right. I repeat (and you can read my posts), I did not want anyone to say what I wanted to hear. For that matter, I don't even know yet what I want; therefore, I asked the question about the commute. We can keep arguing till the cows come home but for the last time - "The commute is going to be bad for you" is the kind of opinion I am looking for, "You will regret this decision" is not the kind of opinion I am looking for. I hope it makes sense.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
I was "reading between lines" that you have your mind set on the Allen location and that you were looking for confirmation from people on this forum that the commute is reasonable.

I didn't realize you were a long time resident of the metroplex. If I was you, I'd just get up early for a few weeks, drive up to Allen so that you're in the neighborhood you're interested in and then commute to Irving. Repeat in the evening. Do that for a month or so and then you'll know if you can stand the drive.

I thought you were a transplant who was impressed by Texas New Housing At A Fantastic Value Compared To California and just had to have the Shiny New House regardless of the commute.
In future, please don't read between the lines. Assumptions lead us nowhere. I am not looking for confirmation of any sort. If you read my first post, I am just asking how bad the commute be and are there any faster alternate routes than 75. In all honesty, I wasn't even asking about the Irving commute. One of us already commutes there from the Richardson area and that was not the commute I had in mind when I posted my first message. I was only asking about the Allen to Richardson commute. That was it, and people turned it into another story. Thanks for your suggestion on actually trying out the commute. I am already in the process of doing so.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
I feel sorry for you and all the others that have mentioned moving to the northern suburbs because it seems like the Dallas posters will jump all over you for even considering Allen, Frisco, or McKinney. All I can say is that you have to do what you have to do. If you are wanting a reasonably priced newer house, then I think Allen would be a good fit for you and your family. I am not saying that the commute will be easy, but it is doable. Otherwise, all of those people who live up in that area would not be there because a lot of them work in Dallas. I live in Frisco, which is just as far north as you would be in Allen, and work in Downtown Dallas, which is even farther south than the High Five (635/75).The commute is not fun, but I don't really mind it. I just do what I have to do.
Thanks for your input. It is really ok with me to hear views of both sides - one those prefer the commute and the others that don't. That is what I am here for. You said it right; in the end, I will do what I have to do.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
In future, please don't read between the lines. Assumptions lead us nowhere. I am not looking for confirmation of any sort.
Look, you decide to start a thread on a internet forum, expect that opinions should be objective (???) and then are offended if you get strong responses. I see you are new to this forum so let me tell you, you'll get all kinds of opinions and some may be below your standard of politeness.

You probably think that some of the replies you got (mine included) were rude. By on-line standards, this was all very tame and polite.

If you want only cold hard facts, there's always google maps or other online map tools with traffic indicators that give you a good idea about drive time and show the exact distance. No need to ask for opinions if you are so thin skinned that you get offended by respones in this very civilized thread.

There are several reasons that I can think of why people give you a strong opinion. Like been-there-done-that, want to help you avoid a big mistake, don't want another one clogging up roads unneccessarily, had good experience with old homes, had bad experience with new homes, don't want to hear people complain about gas prices, want to save the environment, were victims of road rage due to commute fatique etc. etc. etc.

I'll continue to read between the lines. If you don't like that, ignore me, or better, don't try to fish for confirmation of something you know is silly. You know this is true because otherwise you would have just gotten into your car and tested the commute yourself. As a 9 year resident of DFW, why would you not do that instead of posting on city-data while being offended by opinions?!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Look, you decide to start a thread on a internet forum, expect that opinions should be objective (???) and then are offended if you get strong responses. I see you are new to this forum so let me tell you, you'll get all kinds of opinions and some may be below your standard of politeness.

You probably think that some of the replies you got (mine included) were rude. By on-line standards, this was all very tame and polite.

If you want only cold hard facts, there's always google maps or other online map tools with traffic indicators that give you a good idea about drive time and show the exact distance. No need to ask for opinions if you are so thin skinned that you get offended by respones in this very civilized thread.

There are several reasons that I can think of why people give you a strong opinion. Like been-there-done-that, want to help you avoid a big mistake, don't want another one clogging up roads unneccessarily, had good experience with old homes, had bad experience with new homes, don't want to hear people complain about gas prices, want to save the environment, were victims of road rage due to commute fatique etc. etc. etc.

I'll continue to read between the lines. If you don't like that, ignore me, or better, don't try to fish for confirmation of something you know is silly. You know this is true because otherwise you would have just gotten into your car and tested the commute yourself. As a 9 year resident of DFW, why would you not do that instead of posting on city-data while being offended by opinions?!
Anyone can tell by reading your post that you are the one who is taking an offense for your "strong" opinion - better known as judgment, which I did not ask for to start with. Public forum or real life; we should always be civil and courteous.

I am getting some great pointers from others which I am thankful for. I can tell that you are just around to stir the pot and start a fight, so from now on I am just ignoring your inflammatory posts. Yes, you win!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Being opinionated is just fine but that does not mean that you shoud pass judgments based on what you think is right. I repeat (and you can read my posts), I did not want anyone to say what I wanted to hear. For that matter, I don't even know yet what I want; therefore, I asked the question about the commute. We can keep arguing till the cows come home but for the last time - "The commute is going to be bad for you" is the kind of opinion I am looking for, "You will regret this decision" is not the kind of opinion I am looking for. I hope it makes sense.
The commute is going to suck. Hard. Very hard.

You and your spouse are going to be far from your child, assuming your child goes to daycare in Allen. If not, you will be performing said sucky commute with an infant in the car with you. Have fun with that. Just wait until the first time you have to call work and tell them you won't make that 9am conference call because Dakota barfed all over the interior of your car. It happens to my coworkers with kids all the time. They get carsick from the constant lurching caused by stop/start traffic.

You have stated that you do not want an older home and gave the relatively weak and flabby reason that they have maintenance issues. I pointed out to you that all homes, regardless of age, have ongoing maintenance needs and issues. In fact, newer homes often suffer from severe problems such as improperly poured foundations on a poorly-graded lot, plumbing problems that you cannot access due to said slab foundation, shifting, Chinese drywall, cheap, flimsy craftsmanship, etc. I notice that you have not addressed any of my points about older homes vs newer homes and have simply focused on my disagreeing with you that what you are proposing is reasonable and have attempted to paint me as the bad guy for saying that you have no idea what you are getting yourself and your family into if you move to far north Allen and attempt to commute to Richardson and Irving every day.

So, I will reiterate what I have stated repeatedly.

1.) The commute you are proposing is going to suck. Even though southbound 75 is a parking lot in the morning, it is still faster than any surface route you can take unless it is completely closed. Fact.

2.) New houses are not better than old houses. Fact.

3.) You have to ask yourself if you are willing to tolerate extreme commute times just to have a new house in a dictatorial HOA with trendy granite/stainless steel and the coveted media room, or if you are willing to expand your horizons and look at older homes. Not every older home is a dilapidated wreck, either. Most of the 50 year-old homes in this neighborhood go for much more per square foot than homes of a comparable size in Allen. There is a reason for that. These houses are not teardowns and they are not fixer-uppers. Sometimes you need to do a little cosmetic work like painting a room or two, or replacing some carpet. Not exactly backbreaking work. In fact if you have the wherewithall, you can do that yourself. Fact.

Enjoy your media room and your hour-long commute each way.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
The commute is going to suck. Hard. Very hard.

You and your spouse are going to be far from your child, assuming your child goes to daycare in Allen. If not, you will be performing said sucky commute with an infant in the car with you. Have fun with that. Just wait until the first time you have to call work and tell them you won't make that 9am conference call because Dakota barfed all over the interior of your car. It happens to my coworkers with kids all the time. They get carsick from the constant lurching caused by stop/start traffic.

You have stated that you do not want an older home and gave the relatively weak and flabby reason that they have maintenance issues. I pointed out to you that all homes, regardless of age, have ongoing maintenance needs and issues. In fact, newer homes often suffer from severe problems such as improperly poured foundations on a poorly-graded lot, plumbing problems that you cannot access due to said slab foundation, shifting, Chinese drywall, cheap, flimsy craftsmanship, etc. I notice that you have not addressed any of my points about older homes vs newer homes and have simply focused on my disagreeing with you that what you are proposing is reasonable and have attempted to paint me as the bad guy for saying that you have no idea what you are getting yourself and your family into if you move to far north Allen and attempt to commute to Richardson and Irving every day.

So, I will reiterate what I have stated repeatedly.

1.) The commute you are proposing is going to suck. Even though southbound 75 is a parking lot in the morning, it is still faster than any surface route you can take unless it is completely closed. Fact.

2.) New houses are not better than old houses. Fact.

3.) You have to ask yourself if you are willing to tolerate extreme commute times just to have a new house in a dictatorial HOA with trendy granite/stainless steel and the coveted media room, or if you are willing to expand your horizons and look at older homes. Not every older home is a dilapidated wreck, either. Most of the 50 year-old homes in this neighborhood go for much more per square foot than homes of a comparable size in Allen. There is a reason for that. These houses are not teardowns and they are not fixer-uppers. Sometimes you need to do a little cosmetic work like painting a room or two, or replacing some carpet. Not exactly backbreaking work. In fact if you have the wherewithall, you can do that yourself. Fact.

Enjoy your media room and your hour-long commute each way.
Very well said my friend. This is exactly the kind of opinion I am looking for and you presented in a nice way this time. To be very clear, I am not painting anyone as a bad guy. Actually, your great points have motivated me to look at older homes. I have already looked at a few (one 1997 and the other 1998) in the past couple of days. I agree with all the facts that you have mentioned in your post. This helps. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Very well said my friend. This is exactly the kind of opinion I am looking for and you presented in a nice way this time. To be very clear, I am not painting anyone as a bad guy. Actually, your great points have motivated me to look at older homes. I have already looked at a few (one 1997 and the other 1998) in the past couple of days. I agree with all the facts that you have mentioned in your post. This helps. Thanks!
1997 is not an older home; that is only 12 years old. If you want to be closer in, consider 50s and 60s construction.

My house was built in 1957. That is an older home.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
1997 is not an older home; that is only 12 years old. If you want to be closer in, consider 50s and 60s construction.

My house was built in 1957. That is an older home.
1957 is a very old home in my books and there ain't a chance that I will look at a 50's home; nothing against those homes but that's just a personal choice. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas