Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

So this past weekend was Halloween. Being on a Saturday that had BEAUTIFUL weather and so many Fall Festivals and such how were the trick-or-treaters in YOUR area? Did you have a lot or hardly any? More kids that were "brought in" or mostly neighborhood kids/families? A lot of adult trick-or-treaters? Anything that made you go, hmmm?

I'll start.
Our neighborhood has a party before the trick-or-treating for the residents. Pizza and costume contests then the kids/families all parade down the streets while everyone sits out on the front sidewalk to hand out candy. They start early and sadly I've missed the whole parade the last two years. This year it was Homecoming so we had other things going on before I was able to get home and turn on the light at about 7:15ish. Didn't see but maybe TWO "neighborhood kids". It was slow at first then BAM! Mostly groups of older kids and some "adult" trick-or-treaters. The one that really had me going, Hmmmm, was a GROWN MAN all by himself dressed in black as Ninja with a black thing covering his face all but his eyes. That one was really fishy to me. I'm betting he was "casing" the area. Even when there was hardly any candy left I turned off the lights and STILL had people ringing the doorbell. I just didn't answer. Since I live on the backside of the neighborhood I don't see near the traffic the front portion does, whew. I could hardly get IN my neighborhood when I was coming home a little after 7. Even had a pair of adults walking in the middle of the street and would NOT move to let me go by. They didn't live here so I was kind of like, if you want candy when you get to my house MOVE OUT OF THE WAY MORON! They kept giving me the evil eye because I was behind them and they FINALLY moved out of the middle of the street. I just don't get some people.

My sister lives in Stonebridge in McKinney. While she was out w/ her little one they found out from a neighbor that there had been an elderly lady "attacked" by a trick-or-treater in their neighborhood. She was sitting out on her front porch so she would not have to constantly get up and down to answer the door. A big kid came up and knocked her in the head and took the ENTIRE bowl of candy she had to give out.

I'm starting to think that sometimes Halloween can be a not so good time to completely open our doors to complete strangers. I usually sit out front on the sidewalk w/ my neighbors and visit while we hand out candy. We just sit in one row together and the kids can literally "hit" 3-4 houses at one time. Then it does feel a wee bit safer as we are all together and not opening our doors for strangers to see in or check things out. After the grown man that came to my door and the lady in my sisters neighborhood this might be the only way I hand out candy anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:39 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
After the grown man that came to my door and the lady in my sisters neighborhood this might be the only way I hand out candy anymore.[/quote]

Wow! Well, over here we had the most trick-or-treaters than I have seen in years. It was a mix of neighborhood kids and kids driven in from apartments. Everyone, local and not, was very kind and thankful. The Hispanic families who brought their kids over to our area got a huge kick out of my husband's costume and decorations! I loved watching them react, they were having such a good time!

I've heard some people get upset about people driving their kids over to different neighborhoods to trick-or-treat. I offer this advice to them-realize you are blessed that you live in an area that people see as a safe place to bring their kids! I have no patience for Halloween grinches!

Having said that, we didn't have to deal with grown men showing up at our door, nor with candy assaults!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Totally understand why some people go to a different neighborhood to trick-or-treat. I don't usually have an issue with them at all. And they DO show up by the truckfulls here. It was just the case of the couple walking in the middle of the road and getting mad at me for actually wanting to get by in my car and then the grown man that was by himself. I've had the ones where the kid is too small or too scared to hold their stuff and come up to the door. I'm okay with that. Even had the ones where the kids AND the parents each have a bag/pumpkin to collect candy. Even had the two that were PREGNANT but they were polite and nice. Most say "thank you" and are polite. No big deal there and yes I am VERY thankful to live in a neighborhood I don't feel like I should not send my kids out to trick-or-treat. I'm not a grinch and usually totally enjoy it and get into it. It was just the two experiences here and then with my sisters neighborhood that really got me to thinking........

Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Totally understand why some people go to a different neighborhood to trick-or-treat. I don't usually have an issue with them at all. And they DO show up by the truckfulls here. It was just the case of the couple walking in the middle of the road and getting mad at me for actually wanting to get by in my car and then the grown man that was by himself. I've had the ones where the kid is too small or too scared to hold their stuff and come up to the door. I'm okay with that. Even had the ones where the kids AND the parents each have a bag/pumpkin to collect candy. Even had the two that were PREGNANT but they were polite and nice. Most say "thank you" and are polite. No big deal there and yes I am VERY thankful to live in a neighborhood I don't feel like I should not send my kids out to trick-or-treat. I'm not a grinch and usually totally enjoy it and get into it. It was just the two experiences here and then with my sisters neighborhood that really got me to thinking........
Oh I know, and I wasn't referring to you as a grinch. I've just heard "talk" the last couple of days that upsets me. One friend in particular told me her neighbors turn off their porch lights if anyone shows up from outside the neighborhood...and they know this only because their area is 99.9% white. That really bothered me.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
We had a great Halloween on Lakewood Blvd at my friend's house.

Young kids got started early at around 6pm and we closed down around 10pm. Lots and lots of kids from the area plus many who drove in - everyone was super polite and said Trick or Treat. One older sister corrected her younger brother - it was so cute.

The yard was decorated and people asked if they could photograph their kids in front of the decorations - again very polite and civilized.

Two houses had fairly extensive haunted houses in the yards/garages - and that was fantastic to allow everyone in.

My fave costume was a teenage girl dressed as a "Cereal Killer" - boxes of cereal glued to her shirt with forks sticking out of them.

I love Lakewood!!!!....and this Halloween spirit just shows how fantastic the neighborhood is.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM

126 posts, read 443,408 times
We also hit Lakewood Blvd with a group of friends and all of our kids. It was so much fun! The folks in Lakewood did not disappoint. It felt like the whole neighborhood was out -- people chatting, visiting, handing out candy and just enjoying the atmosphere. Plus, I got to peek in some really lovely homes.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
My son was invited to a Halloween party in Preston Hollow. The parents were having an adult party but their teenage kids asked a few kids over too, plus the neighborhood kids. Their street is full of school aged kids - almost in every house - Dallas proper - people, did you read that??

As we were driving back home on Hillcrest we saw tons, I mean tons, of cars of families parking at Hillcrest High and Franklin Middle school in order to trick or treat in Preston Hollow. It was quite the scene. Kids all over that area. Traffic jams.

Meanwhile our street was quiet. No kids until 8:45 when 2 truck loads of people came by - about 20-25 peeps. They were very nice - not from the street. I gave them almost all my candy.

Our street does not have that many school aged kids anymore, and the ones we have are all teenagers. Even when all of these same kids were younger, there weren't that many houses that participated, so you'd have a couple of porch lights and then 4 houses dark, then a porch light, then 3 houses dark. The street one block north was crazy busy with kids. That street used to have no kids, now they have tons.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:03 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
I've missed Halloween night two years in a row due to work. :-( But my hubby has really picked up the ball and run with it. Managed to decorate the front of the house, get candy and make jello shots for the grown-ups.

He said it was very busy and mostly with people we know or know by sight.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:04 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Started handing out candy at around 7:20 and it continued until well after 10:15, when I just decided that I was getting tired and turned off the lights. Mostly kids from our area, but could easily tell the kids/adults that were not from the area. A few "adults" came by with ninja/mask type outfits, and while they seemed out of place I gave them candy and made sure they knew I was looking closely at them. We gave out easily 6 lg. bags of candy...which is good so that we don't have that much left...but the downside is...we don't have that much left! And the kids are starting to really complain when Daddy raids their pumpkins!

Overall, had a great time, and the kids and neighborhood really enjoyed my decorations.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
My son was invited to a Halloween party in Preston Hollow. The parents were having an adult party but their teenage kids asked a few kids over too, plus the neighborhood kids. Their street is full of school aged kids - almost in every house - Dallas proper - people, did you read that??

As we were driving back home on Hillcrest we saw tons, I mean tons, of cars of families parking at Hillcrest High and Franklin Middle school in order to trick or treat in Preston Hollow. It was quite the scene. Kids all over that area. Traffic jams.

Meanwhile our street was quiet. No kids until 8:45 when 2 truck loads of people came by - about 20-25 peeps. They were very nice - not from the street. I gave them almost all my candy.

Our street does not have that many school aged kids anymore, and the ones we have are all teenagers. Even when all of these same kids were younger, there weren't that many houses that participated, so you'd have a couple of porch lights and then 4 houses dark, then a porch light, then 3 houses dark. The street one block north was crazy busy with kids. That street used to have no kids, now they have tons.
Were your kids over on or near Deloache? I heard it was CRAZY with trick-or-treaters over there!
We're not in PH proper, close enough. I think lots of those kids you saw at Franklin and Hillcrest were headed over to our house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: