Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM

18 posts, read 143,521 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm from Jersey and I'm moving to DFW area on June 1. My husband found a job at Grand Prairie. We gonna rent first but I'm already looking for a house.
We want something close my husband's job in a nice, safe and children friendly neighborhood (we have 2 little children). I heard about mansfield. Do somebody has a better idea ?
What about Mansfield ?
Thanks, Sophie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 02:45 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Check www.greatschools.net for more info on schools. Where in Grand Prairie will your husband be working? If he's on the north side of town, Mansfield could be a frustrating commute taking around 30 minutes. If he's working on the south side Mansfield would be fine.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:10 PM

yes, south.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
Maybe try Hurst, Euless, Bedford,Keller area... if my memory serves me correct they would be a lot closer to Grand Prarrie than Mansfield. I think Mansfield is on the other side of Ft. Worth.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
I just looked at a map... I'm incorrect. I had Mansfield confused with another area. I think go padge may be correct. :-)

Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM

thanks for all your information. the school site is very good too, thanks

Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 PM

14 posts, read 105,463 times
If you want a lot of house and big lot for the money try Cedar Hill - great on home value, low in amenities. North Arlington will probably have more resale value than Grand Prairie. Good luck - there are a lot of great things about living here and raising a family.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:38 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie View Post
Hi I'm from Jersey and I'm moving to DFW area on June 1. My husband found a job at Grand Prairie. We gonna rent first but I'm already looking for a house.
We want something close my husband's job in a nice, safe and children friendly neighborhood (we have 2 little children). I heard about mansfield. Do somebody has a better idea ?
What about Mansfield ?
Thanks, Sophie
Personally, Southlake, Coppell, Highland Park, Plano, Frisco, Allen all are the districts that everyone talks about.

B/c your husband has a job in Grand Prairie, then a place like Southlake may not be so bad...but then again, it depends on how long your husband is willing to drive.
Cedar hill on the southern side of the Metroplex seems to be booming with new development. Mansfield is also booming.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:34 PM

39 posts, read 172,318 times
Mansfield is a great school district. People on here post about where they live and say how great those areas are, which is fine, but Mansfield is probably 2nd to coppell in scholarship winners to 5 star colleges. Even where I live in Irving they have more award winners than place s like frisco, allen and plano. In Irving they have 4 high schools one is called the Academy, where its a state of the art vocational school. Mansfield will be a great school district and joe pool lake is near by.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:08 PM

11 posts, read 58,024 times
Red face Best Areas in DFW

Hi Sophie!

I moved here from Upstate New York several years ago, and we LOVE DFW!
I'm a Texas Realtor, so I help people with this all the time.

Grand Prairie is 20 minutes from Cedar Hill and HEB (Hurst, Euless, Bedford) Area. It's 30 minutes drive from Southlake. These are without traffic or rain. People here don't drive well in the rain.

The best guide that I've run across is the TEA Accountability Report. TEA (Texas Education Agency) assesses schools annually and ranks them. Exemplary is the Best, Recognized 2nd Best and so on. I'm attaching the link.
http://www.tea.state.tx.us/ayp/2006/...187a73489d4072

I think the HEB Area is the Best Value for the money. I checked the above mentioned report and Meadow Creek Elementary is Exemplary. There are also MANY other elementary schools in the district rated Recognized.

Moderator cut: soliciting

Good luck & Welcome to Texas!

Trish Abramson
Moderator cut: soliciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas