Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 PM

36 posts, read 86,218 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Hoping you can help... We currently live in the greater Phoenix,
Arizona area and we are looking to relocate.

A little about us:
We are in our early 30's, the parents of a special needs (heart
defect) daughter who is adopted. We are looking for the idyllic
"quaint" area. I grew up outside of San Francisco but went to high
school in Sheboygan, WI and my husband grew up in Jackson Hole,
Wyoming. We like the smaller communities and we're looking for a small
town feel with some amenities. I'd like a community where one can get
involved, one with good schools, a middle-class cost of living, and
very safe. My daughter will require numerous heart surgeries over the
course of her life, so we're looking at the top 25 pediatric
cardiology facilities and searching a 45 mile radius around the area.

In Arizona, kids can't do sports in the summer because of the heat. No
kids play outside, and after 5 years in my current home, I still don't
know most of my neighbors. I'd like a town where kids play outside,
the neighbors know one another, the town goes to the high school
football games.

My husband is a claims adjuster for a large insurance company and
works from home, so we're very flexible. I am a stay-at-home mother,
so being able to do things with my child is important.

I enjoy a milder climate, but I'm flexible.

I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM

6,826 posts, read 14,043,433 times
Not sure of your price range but Sunnyvale is a upscale community that is fairly small and very close to Dallas. Giving a housing budget would really help narrowing down your options.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 PM

36 posts, read 86,218 times
I would like to keep home purchase price at or below 300k and rent under 1900/month. Does that help? Also, what is the climate like there? Is there flooding/mold/hurricane/tornados?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
I'd also recommend Rockwall. Easy access to I-30 and there has been a huge growth of medical centers in Rockwall but mostly day surgery centers and physicians offices. Still more than some areas have when it comes to just finding a routine everyday doctor. Rockwall is also still "quaint" and they get into their football team and the whole Homecoming Parade and all. A farmers market on the square. A great area that is new for shopping and dining at The Harbor. Your price range would work there as well.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,017,134 times
If you are looking for a milder climate, you won't find it here in Dallas nor will you find anywhere with that quaint small town feel.

The best pediactric cardio's are in Boston or Johns Hopkins.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Kids don't play outside in Dallas during the summer either.

Children's Hospital now has two locations. There is one in Plano now, too, in addition to the one near downtown.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:43 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,576 times
Yeah, our summers can often be brutal. You'll definitely still find kids out playing in the June-Sept high temps, but wise moms and dads have to keep their kiddos hydrated and slathered in sunscreen. And unlike a desert climate, it doesn't cool off during the summer nights. We can easily see temps in the high 80s at 2AM. I had a very severe heat stroke as a child during one of our legendary heat waves. To this day I struggle to tolerate our summers.

And even though it's very near the big city, the Lakewood area (75214) is probably my best experience of a strong community--folks watching out for neighbors, block parties, great school spirit. Not sure I'd go as far as "quaint", as very few neighborhoods around here really register as quaint, but Lakewood is for me as close as it gets.

Just based on your first post, I probably wouldn't put Dallas on the very top of your relocation list. Though if you're willing to go 45 miles out, that will open up a lot of areas this city girl is unaware of. Hope you find your perfect spot.

Oh, and no hurricane action I'm aware of! Tornadoes are more likely, but still very uncommon to touch down in the metro area. I've been here 35 years and never worried about them or experienced one. Hail is a big issue though--rarely deadly but it can ruin your roof and vehicles in seconds flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: