U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 9,898 times

Advertisements

We maybe moving to Dallas in the spring and would like to know about public schools and GT Programs. Our daughter currently attends a wondereful school in College Station and is in the GT program here (1st grader). If we move my husbands job will be in Dallas proper, any suggestions? Here education is very important to us, as well as a safe neighborhood. Are we going to have to spend tons of $$$ to get this?? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 40,312,929 times
No, you willnot need to spend a ton to be in a very nice and safe area with a great G&T program district. Check out the Garland ISD. My daughter started in the G&T program in kindergarten and is now a freshman in the IB program at Garland High School. I can not say enough good things about the area, district and the magnet programs offered.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 AM

6,578 posts, read 24,275,983 times
Richardson ISD only has a 1 day a week pull out program for their G&T.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Richardson ISD only has a 1 day a week pull out program for their G&T.
And sadly this is how some districts treat those kids that are G&T and actually need more than just some extra work. I'm not a fan of the pull out programs or just 1 class in a regular school that is segregated. I LOVE the full on magnet programs where the ENTIRE school from staff to teachers and all are trained to deal w/ G&T students. The programs implemented at G&T magnet schools are very enriching be it thru the arts all the way to athletics and that is also something you won't find in a neighborhood school that does the pull out program or just the 1 class for those kids.

Not all G&T kids learn every subject at the same pace. Some are stronger than others in every area across the board. In my daughters magnet starting in 1st grade they switched teachers for each subject AND they did not stay together as an entire class doing it. Depending on each students ability in each subject they switched accordingly. They don't come out and say that Mrs. Soandso's math class during 2nd period is for the top level kids either. Most kids don't even realize it and that is great.

Then as I mentioned the enrichment programs are FANTASTIC! Starting in 1st or 2nd grade the kids in the G&T magnets can try-out to be in advanced art classes if that is of interest to them. Instead of going to the regular art class they will go to an enriched art class. Starting in 4th grade they have orchestra and choir available and if I remember correctly they had to be in one of them.

I HIGHLY suggest a district that has TRUE magnet schools for the G&T. It is a world of difference and SOOOOO worth it.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:53 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,513,044 times
Default Re:

You also might want to get some information about the LEAP program run by the Carrollton/Farmers Branch ISD.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:00 PM

16,086 posts, read 39,063,438 times
If your husband's job is in Dallas proper, and you want public schools, I would suggest my area of East Dallas. Great public schools with TAG programs but if you find they don't meet your needs there are magnet schools as well. The parents in my area are the most involved in the city and know the ropes about all of this stuff. For instance, over 300 volunteers are taking part in the Lakewood Home Festival Home this weekend which raises over $100K each year for our local schools.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
You also might want to get some information about the LEAP program run by the Carrollton/Farmers Branch ISD.
The reason I don't personaly care for this program is it is the 1 class per grade of G/T kids in a regular school. They are just as segregated from the "mainstream" as an ESL class is in a neighborhood school. Some people are just fine w/ it and it works for them. After being in a magnet program where the ENTIRE school is for G/T kids and seeing how it functions, the vast array of friends they make, the programs offered, etc. There IS a difference. I want my kids even though they are "Gifted" to be in as normal of a school setting as possible and not made to feel "different" because they are a seperate class than the rest of the school. To each their own though and some districts can accomodate a full out magnet program.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 PM

430 posts, read 1,294,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The reason I don't personaly care for this program is it is the 1 class per grade of G/T kids in a regular school. They are just as segregated from the "mainstream" as an ESL class is in a neighborhood school. Some people are just fine w/ it and it works for them. After being in a magnet program where the ENTIRE school is for G/T kids and seeing how it functions, the vast array of friends they make, the programs offered, etc. There IS a difference. I want my kids even though they are "Gifted" to be in as normal of a school setting as possible and not made to feel "different" because they are a seperate class than the rest of the school. To each their own though and some districts can accomodate a full out magnet program.
You and I both know there are different Levels of Gifted (LOG) and what may be good for one is sheer boredom for another.

Ruf levels have their own issues, but given that Level 4 and 5 kids are so far beyond their age peers, which is what LEAP admits, the LEAP program is very narrowly tailored for these PG kids. I benefitted from radical acceleration as a kid, but would have preferred either the LEAP or GISD Magnet approach. Either has its merits.

For those who are not familiar with this rating, here is a guide to the levels:

Educational Options

And here are the types of schools in relation to G/T kids and what is considered appropriate.

http://www.educationaloptions.com/re...LevelNeeds.pdf

IMHO, each parent needs to examine what is best for their kids and make adjustments over time. I know we have.

The other thing to keep in mind is that MOST of the G/T kids are never identified and waste a lot of time until they get into the right environment, if ever.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 9,589 times
It's so funny that you are moving from College Station. We are moving from College Station too at the end of January. We are going to try the LEAP program in Carrolton. My son will attend Kindergarten.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM

252 posts, read 685,697 times
Years ago, I was in the G&T program in College Station. Easily the best G&T program I've been to. Then I was in one of the programs at a school up in Dallas... no where near as good. I dropped out of it.

What I'm trying to say is that it might be hard to match the quality of the G&T program in CS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>