Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,799 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to the area from Virginia. My husband will be working at Geico (Spring Valley Rd, Dallas 75244.) Garland looks interesting. Is the commute from there reasonable? Any other communities that would be good choices?

We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms in a family friendly area. I'd like to stick to around $200,000 but that could change depending on the sales market here.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 08:44 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dria13 View Post
We are planning on moving to the area from Virginia. My husband will be working at Geico (Spring Valley Rd, Dallas 75244.) Garland looks interesting. Is the commute from there reasonable? Any other communities that would be good choices?

We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms in a family friendly area. I'd like to stick to around $200,000 but that could change depending on the sales market here.

Any suggestions?
I would also suggest taking a look at Richardson or Plano. I think they would be closer to that North Dallas area than Garland would be. They would be family-friendly suburbs as well. The commute to Garland would be do-able, I guess, but I don't see any real advantages to driving that far.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,287 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?

I'd also check out Plano, Frisco, etc...

Old 05-14-2007, 01:17 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
You would have several options to get to/from work in Garland/Richardson/Plano. Garland is not THAT FAR from this part of Dallas. Frisco would be heck to commute from as would McKinney or Allen. Where you'll be working is actually just to the immediate east of Farmers Branch. In your price range your going to find more for sale in Richardson or Plano (or the areas farther from work like Frisco) and less for sale in places like Garland, Murphy, etc. Looking for my parents in that price range and the homes in the Firewheel area of Garland in that price range sell fast when one does go up. Watch in the older areas of Plano as you could end up in an area w/o a lot of school age kids. I know many people in this boat that are moving or have moved because of it.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,049 times
Default Don't move to Garland

Do not move to Garland unless you want to live in what is fast becoming a 3rd world country.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM

126 posts, read 454,098 times
dria,

Unfortunately, from time to time, we have these things called trolls show up on the forum. They are easy to spot because they make pointless posts. These bitter, hatefilled, people make asinine statements because they are so love-starved that posting pointless lies is their idea of communicating. Bless their hearts, for them even negative attention is better than no attention.

Garland is a very nice, older suburb that has a great school system. Around the downtown area there are some charming, older neighborhoods. And as Mom said, Firewheel is a great neighborhood. If you check Mom's previous posts, you'll find a lot of great information and some zip codes to check out for Garland.

Richardson and the Lake Highlands area, zip codes 75231 and 75238, are also in your price range. These are also great neighborhoods with great schools. They are in the Richardson school district.

Let us know some specific things you're looking for and we'll be able to answer your questions. If you get a chance to come visit ahead of time, please let us know when, and we can give you some suggestions on events around the DFW on those dates.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
vseale, the OP wrote in 2007. I think they've found something by now since they didn't post again.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM

126 posts, read 454,098 times
LOL

Well, now we know who can't multi-task when up past her bedtime! I was watching the news while scrolling through here and totally missed the "old" icon looking when I clicked on it. DOH!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
it wouldn't be bad, but there are better areas and closer to Geico..Try Carrollton and Farmers Branch for starters..Also try areas in the Lewisville School district, good schools, not to bad a commute..I used to commute from Lewisville to work (only about 5 minutes from Geico) and it took about 40 minutes.

Nita

Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
vseale, the OP wrote in 2007. I think they've found something by now since they didn't post again.
you know usually I pay attention to the posting date, but this is another one that slipped up. I always wonder why people insist on digging these old posts up...Thanks

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas