Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
Ok Mr/Ms know it all. Living all your life in Garland doesn't mean you know it all in North Dallas though .
I just hope people really spend their time to do some dd before commit desision such moving across country . This forum suggestions where one should look into are just references.
FYI, I have not lived in Garland my entire life. Never said I had, EVER. I was born in Dallas and have lived in Dallas, Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Denton, Addison, Far North Dallas, Rowlett and Garland and traveled well around the country and world.
Where have YOU LIVED? In the Dallas area? When? And for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
It was a typo.
I told the Op it is more than her price range if she wants anywhere close to the lake. But if the lake out of scenario then Royse city or Forney where she can have some bigger land within her budget.
Your question is why Mesquite come in play ? To me it is not only Mesquite but Garland and Rowlett all are not holding value well. You will have greater chance of losing money on your house value than those like Sunnyvale, Heath, as well as Rockwall.
Why can anyone tell me why Rowlett and Rockwall are sharing a lake but Rockwall homes hold better in prices ?
Explain to me so you can prove you are local and known it all.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Sorry to bust your bubble but the homes IN Garland ARE holding their value. They have gone UP in value as a matter of fact. The only ones that have gone down in value are those that got foreclosed on (not as bad in this side of the metroplex as others) or the owners let them decline in condition and/or did not keep them updated. Other than that........ the homes are holding steady AND going up. I do know a thing or two about the property rates around

You don't even LIVE IN TEXAS so how would you know what our local real estate is doing. Just seeing numbers on a piece of paper or on a computer does not give one the ENTIRE picture.

We don't need to explain anything to you at all. No one said they "know it all" (fyi, it is KNOW not KNOWN). We actually LIVE here day in and day out. Please explain how you know what our local market is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:41 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,102 times
To the Op.......Life is not all about cheap housing but there are whole lots more to it that you going to miss when moving from the west. I did a full circle and i am glad i am out of there.
" Don't mess with Texas " What is that sign tell you ?
For me i just lol .

Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
I am very happy for you, as well as for my fellow Texans.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 PM

28 posts, read 102,814 times
Hard to sort through some of the arguing here to get to the good information.

Thanks again to those who supplied the info.

To Discovery1 - Not sure that I suggested life being about cheap housing.
I have lived in TX, Oklahoma, New York and northern and southern CA. I know what makes me happy.

Currently, paying $2,000 a month rent for a ranch house that doesn't have central air or any real amenities on a tiny lot surrounded by more houses with tiny lots...and the prospect of paying $750,000 + to own such a gem...well gee, I'd rather save my money, have some space and use the extra money to travel and enjoy life even more!

There are pros and cons to living anywhere. At this point, I find it a gigantic, Texas sized con that the money spent on rent here over the past 6 years could have us owning our own home in TX by now.

I think the only thing I will really miss about the Bay Area are the double rainbows I see when it rains.

ps
I was in the Houston area last week and ya'll pay WAyyyy less for Velveeta cheese than we do!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:52 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
Almost every topic starts off okay and then degenerates into several people arguing or picking fights. It's hard to even comment on anything in these forums without getting yelled at.

There are some nice houses for that amount of money, but like most people have said there will not be much land and it will not be on the lake. Just call a local realtor and they will send you houses that might interest you. They can also send you neighborhoods that are what you are looking for. Garland has areas that are close to the lake along with Rowlett and Rockwall. There are nice areas in all three towns and there are areas to avoid.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,034 times
To the OP- check out Cove Ridge Estates in Heath. This is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Rockwall County. Some homes are on the lake- it is on a hillside, so many have a view. Some established homes, new construction, empty lots still available.

Good luck.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:42 PM

28 posts, read 102,814 times
Question We've expanded our horizons...other areas

We have decided that space is in our top 3 requirements, so we are going to look around east Dallas, and as far east as Fate(?). Saw a great house there on an acre that I LOVE. Just not sure I am ready to go that rural. (At least I think it's rural...please correct me if I am wrong!)

Since schools are not an issue for us, we just want somewhere with not too much crime, at least a fairly clean area, maybe an area in transition (but really transitioning). If we have enough space for a pool and a garden and privacy..we can keep a boat gassed up and not have to live too close to the lake.

Opinions on the Parkdale area of Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas