Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM

159 posts, read 277,614 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data,

My husband and I are relocating to Dallas next month and we have found a house that we want to rent. In doing my tireless online research of this particular house, I have noticed that the house was listed in August 2009 for a substitute trustee sale. I also read that if the house did not sale during that time period that the owner of the home may have caught up on payments.

My question is since this house was up for auction just three months ago, should my husband and I invest in this house or should we look for other homes to rent? I fear renting the house and then the owner having financial issues again and we are stuck finding a new place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
To be honest it is a risk that you take with a house that was in preforeclosure 3 months ago or one that was never in preforeclosure.

The owner's circumstances can change any day.

Naima

Old 11-15-2009, 04:33 PM

Thank you nsumner, I think that's a fair assessment. I think I am a little leery because here in california if the owner was in preforeclosure then it's pretty certain they'll stick you with the short end of the stick. There seems to have been an epidemic out here of owners loosing their properties and the renters having to move due to that.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Unfortunately Texas hasn't been immune to this phenomena. Probably less than CA though.

Naima

Old 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM

I agree. So nsumner, do you think that this information is a negotiating tool? This owner has already said that the price of the home is negotiable. When people say that, what are their expectations for rent? Do you think it would be minus a few hundred dollars?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:49 PM

It's rare that prices on rentals are negotiable because the rental market is pretty good. Only on executive homes that you would see some real negotiation ($3500+) It depends on how long it's been on the market, the location and what the terms are. It really is a shot in the dark now knowing the details.

Did you see pictures of the home? Please make sure you don't sign an agreement without looking at the home, they all can look good on pictures. If you have a good friend or a relative that you trust, they can visit it for you.

Naima

Old 11-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Ok that's some good information. my husband actually saw the house last week. We didn't really give it any serious thought because it was 300 more than what we were willing to spend but our agent wanted us to see it anyway. I do have pictures and my husband actually toured the home so it seems pretty sound. It's in Panther Creek.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:03 PM

The homes in Panther Creek priced up to 1500 rent within 7 days. Those priced up to 1800 take about 3 weeks, anything 2K or above will linger a little longer up to 60 days at times. The reason for that is because for 2K you can get something closer to 121 or to the tollway.

May be you are lucky and the owner may negotiate a lot. You have nothing to lose by offereing him what you can afford or want to pay.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Oh that's good to know. The house is over 2k so we'll see. I will keep you all posted on the results. We'll know in the next week or two if we were able to negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas