Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 16,004 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are moving in a few weeks to the North DFW area. Still looking for an apartment -- trying to figure out where we want to live for the next 6 months and then we'll possible settle to somewhere more permanent (after we check out school districts in the area).

We have a 5 year old daughter and would like to hear how fellow transplants have fared. How long did it take before you felt at home? Where do you recommend we go to meet new friends? My daughter will not be in kindergarten until August 2010 and until then, we'd like to meet friends and get out and about, go to Six Flags, the zoos, parks, etc.

I've thought about joining a parenting group but she might not find other kids her age as many might already be in school. She has a late birthday, and with the changes of this move, throwing school into it would be more than we'd want to deal with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am just about ready to put an ad in the newspaper so that we can start finding some friends to communicate with prior to arrival - maybe it will help us feel more at home.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:13 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,306 times
You could enroll your daughter in preschool a few days a week, it would be a great place for her and you to make friends. Dallas is a very kid friendly city, there are tons of activities even for young children. There are playgroups, classes, and blogs that have mommy meetups.

I would suggest Plano, Allen, or Frisco. They are neighbor cities, all very family freindly, lots to see and do, and most importantly there are a lot of transplants in the area,

Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
All the Malls up in the North (galleria, valley view, and willow bend) have larger play areas that my wife have met several people and there is always a wide range of kids there too. There are several parks when the weather is nice usually have many pre-kindergarten kids between 5 and younger. Check the city of Dallas and Plano websites for those locations. also check on [url=http://www.guidelive.com]Dallas Events / Events in Dallas-Fort Worth - GuideLive.com[/url] for local events coming up.
you could start there as they are free and easy to network there.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
There are a multitude of ways to have your daughter meet friends her age and you find other moms. Is she interested in doing any kind of sport or activity? If so then sign her up. There are a TON of places that offer dance, gymnastics, cheer, etc and of course all of the sports. If your coming soon and she wants to do something like soccer then check out one of the indoor soccer venues that are all over the area. The local YMCA's also offer sports camps and the rec centers in each city have tons of classes as well. My girls started a combo dance class at the age of 2 and soccer at 4. They still are friends with many of the kids they met during those early times and they are now 15 & 11. Even though they don't go to the same schools they have friends from all over the area so it is fun for them when their school or team is playing against another that they have a friend on.

Then find a local MOPS group. This is Mothers of Preschoolers. They meet in churches all over the country and it is every other week. Childcare is provided and the kids have an activity. Then the moms are all together and have a speaker that is usually of interest to all moms (from peditricians to nutrionists, etc). You get to meet other moms without having to worry about the kiddo's or watching them. You do NOT have to attend the church it is held at or even attend a church at all. It is just a great way to meet other moms in the area and hear speakers on wide variety of topics of interest to moms, women and wives.

If your this open and eager to get out and meet people when you move here then you won't have any problems at all making friends.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times
I guess I qualify as a "fellow transplant" per se, but I doubt I'd be much help to you because one of my goals in moving here was not to meet anybody but in fact to get away from everybody which I feel I've done quite successfully in my relatively quiet suburb. Although I must say my luck in escaping the traffic noise is not absolute, it is significantly reduced. I've traded the honking, sirens, boom boom cars and car alarms of Boston for the Harley Davidsons and macho muscle cars of Dallas. At least here it's really only during rush hour!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:31 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
I just relocated to Dallas last month. My first piece of advice is find a nice apartment to live in that is CLOSE to where you will be working. There is tons of shopping EVERYWHERE here so no matter where you live, you will be convenient to stores, malls, expressways, etc. Most areas are nice, some areas are dated, but that just translates to more affordable in most cases, especially in the northern areas. Finding a "ghetto" would require a lot of bad luck or purposely searching for it. Most areas are quite liveable.

Second, regarding meeting people, I have noticed that most people are friendly and outgoing, at least in retail and professional settings. I haven't gone to bars or clubs, but one would think that they would be similar there as well. Most of the people are helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and understanding. I have seen a lot of patience and courtesy, even on the roads (who would have figured).

I think online is also a good place to meet people, but as another poster stated, enroll your child in a group or class and you will meet other parents that way as well. You literally see mothers and families all over north DFW so you will feel at home pretty much anywhere. If worst comes to worst hang out at the McDonald's playland or a park.

I wouldn't say I feel at home here yet, but that is more of a personal adjustment thing, it isn't because DFW isn't welcoming, it is just that I left behind what I know and am familiar with and this area is humongous. I think the people here and just the overall quality of the area make the transition much easier...so you will eventually adjust, don't worry about that. To not enjoy this area, you would have to be a hermit or a loner or just have a very negative view on life.

Good luck and be prepared for pleasant suprises and REALLY good BBQ food!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
To not enjoy this area, you would have to be a hermit or a loner or just have a very negative view on life.
I'm not so sure you're right about this Chelito. I'm a hermit loner and have a negative view on life, but I enjoy D reasonably well.

Hey are you from MIA? I lived there for three wonderful insane years. Great city. Welcome to DFW.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kemp View Post
I will say this about the noise... Most new houses within the DFWs flight path should have double panes for noise reduction purposes.
FYI - you're responding to a 5-year old post....

Old 05-25-2020, 05:54 PM

161 posts, read 83,001 times
One thing I don't understand: why rent an apartment in Texas? Houses are so cheap!

Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
FYI - you're responding to a 5-year old post....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgrl84 View Post
One thing I don't understand: why rent an apartment in Texas? Houses are so cheap!
And now you've responded to a 11 year old post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas