Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:12 PM

4 posts, read 36,890 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased 44 acres in East Texas(Leesburg, TX-Camp County)..I have a few questions. The previous owner was living on about 20 acres and had leased out the other 20 or so acres to someone that has 6 horses on it. The property is currently qualifed under the Ag exemption b/c of the 6 horses there. We have agreed to continue the lease agreement unitl June so that as of January 2010, we can still continue the Ag exemption...the question is after he moves his horses in June, what do we need to do to make sure we still qualify for the Ag exemption? Our plan was to get some goats, pigs and chickens, but how many do we have to have???? And can we put a mobile home on that 20 acres??? or we it have to be specifically for the farm animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Your have to read your deed restrictions. They will highlight if you can put a mobile home or or as well as what type of animals are allowed.

You should have a received the deed restrictions when you went to closing.

Naima

Old 11-28-2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks..no we did read the deed..there are no restrictions on the property. My question was can we put a mobile home in the area that is fenced off for the animals..or does that have to be strictly seperate for Ag purposes? How many animals do we have to have after we move the horses to continue the Ag exemption?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:12 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
You'll need to check with your county about what qualifies for Ag. Each county is a little different.

I can't recommend raising pigs just to get the Ag exemption. The stench and filth they create will not (IMHO) be worth the property tax savings. I'd stick with goats. Free-range chickens will only draw coyotes unless you have some serious preventative fencing.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 AM

That's a good point about the pigs Christie..we don't want a whole lot of animals but just enough to be Ag exempt..will probably stick to the Goats and maybe a chicken pen. We do have a 4 acre pond..not sure if that counts towards anything. I did get on the Camp County website but didn't find any information.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Anyone know anything about Ag exempt in Camp County, Texas?? I'm still searching!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:58 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
It's the same as the rest of the counties. Basically, you have to have the use under agricultural uses. That can mean growing crops or hay, or having livestock. One acre along with the house will be assessed at full market value. The rest can be exempt if under a qualifying ag use. Call your local appraisal district to get a copy of the rules and the form for filing the exemption.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 8,991 times
Did you find out anything? I have same questions as you. I have a homestead on 6 acres and I am trying to figure out how to become Ag exempt. We rescue horses and we have not figured out how to get any kind of tax break. I was thinking about more chickens and donating the eggs to the shelters in East Texas?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Usually horses only qualify if they are breeding animals. I've heard of performance trainers keeping ONE broodmare on the place to stay in Ag! If you're doing rescue, obviously that won't work for you. (Maybe rescueing pregnant mares would qualify?)

Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,915 times
All horses now qualify but if you so a wildlife exemption then no animals are required at all. If the land has the been under ag for five years then just do a wildlife exemption. Even birds count here if there are no deer or turkeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: