Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 PM

63 posts, read 366,963 times

Advertisements

because I don't live there, I am not getting interest from recruiters. I have applied for countless jobs and I mention in my cover letter that I am moving there, but they respond that when I move, they will be able to help me. I need a job before I can relocate. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryU404 View Post
because I don't live there, I am not getting interest from recruiters. I have applied for countless jobs and I mention in my cover letter that I am moving there, but they respond that when I move, they will be able to help me. I need a job before I can relocate. Any suggestions?
I've seen job ads that say "local candidates only". This was long before the recession when I was browsing in anticipation of my move. It's an issue - and it's only made worse by the recession.

I work for an international company. So i simply made my rep with my company and then transferred to DAL when an opening came up. That's the way to do it. Work for an international company, then transfer anywhere you want whenever you want!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
If you have any friends, put their address on your resume and if you don't have any friends, open a PO box.

Also get a cell phone number with a local area code such as 214-972-469-817-682 etc.

Naima

Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 8,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
If you have any friends, put their address on your resume and if you don't have any friends, open a PO box.

Also get a cell phone number with a local area code such as 214-972-469-817-682 etc.

Naima

I think it's difficult to get a P.O. box from the Post Office if you don't live in the area. When I moved to Austin in 2005 I didn't yet have a utility bill with my name on it so they wouldn't let me have one. I ended up having to get a letter from my new employer that I had recently moved there.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM

63 posts, read 366,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
I think it's difficult to get a P.O. box from the Post Office if you don't live in the area. When I moved to Austin in 2005 I didn't yet have a utility bill with my name on it so they wouldn't let me have one. I ended up having to get a letter from my new employer that I had recently moved there.
This is true - the Post Office won't let you, but there are plenty of mail box companies that will. I have a friend that has kindly let me use their local address and it has helped me to get phone calls. However, once they realize I am not physically living in the area, they lose interest. But, there is some good news! I did receive a request from an employer to complete the second stage of an application, so that means interest. The only thing is the local address on the resume - I hope they read my cover letter and realize I am not living there yet.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:39 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,604 times
No company in Dallas will touch a relocatee until they arrive. You will also need to know the "right people" to get a job there, regardless of relocation.

Right now, companies everywhere are rejecting applications from outside of their immediate area. There are many threads in the "Work and employment" forum about this.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 PM

192 posts, read 594,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
No company in Dallas will touch a relocatee until they arrive. You will also need to know the "right people" to get a job there, regardless of relocation.

Right now, companies everywhere are rejecting applications from outside of their immediate area. There are many threads in the "Work and employment" forum about this.
Not everyone. I just had a company fly me to Pittsburgh for an interview. Shocked the hell out of me.

So don't give up hope, Barry. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
Not everyone. I just had a company fly me to Pittsburgh for an interview. Shocked the hell out of me.

So don't give up hope, Barry. Good luck!
My apologies, you're right, there are some exceptions for tough skillsets or senior level roles. But if one scours the CD forums, the same topic comes up in many places.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,191 times
Barry, I've had the same problem..I'm actually going to Dallas in 2 weeks to look at different areas and possibly check out housing...I don't plan on moving until Feb of next year...Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas