Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM

871 posts, read 2,690,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
Well, I landed at DFW this afternoon, and immediately set off on my scouting trip. First impression: a lot of it is a bit flat and dull and covered with light industrial. I saw some nice looking neighborhoods up in Allen, for instance, but they seemed so cookie-cutter, new, lacking in charm or history, and surrounded by highways. In the grand scheme of things, they are probably great places to raise a family. I'm just a little spoiled with small-town life and scenery.

I then went down toward Wylie, and must have missed the best part of it, because the part I saw was either new cookie-cutter housing, or a little industrial. Going back and looking on Zillow, I obviously missed a lot. I then went through Rockwall, which seemed OK, and had a bit of an older village feel. I then headed up toward Greenville, but got stuck in the mud trying to turn around on this farm road, and two hours and $250 later got towed out.

So here's what I've learned:

1. You people have some serious mud here. I've driven through all kinds of mud, but never seen anything of this type. It was bizarre.

2. The people here are really nice. Things are modern and seem to work smoothly. The drivers don't seem bad, nor does traffic. At least compared to NY/NJ.

3. This is a big darned town, and I haven't scratched the surface yet.

4. The strip malls and commercial areas are so ubiquitous and interchangeable, I twice thought I had passed one I had stopped in earlier in the afternoon.

So I'll keep looking around, in search of that idyllic small-town community I know exists somewhere. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!

David
As to Wylie, you should have checked out the historic downtown area on Ballard St (off Texas Hwy 78) and the homes surrounding it. It will give you that small-town feel for sure. What you described sounds like you only drove on FM 544/Texas Hwy 78.

But like I said, there is also Lucas, Parker, St. Paul, Princeton, and as someone else said, McKinney. All choices that are closer to what you want, but you might have to compromise on some of your desires if you want to be in Texas.

But I totally hear you on the strip mall thing. Sure the SF Bay Area has its share of strip malls, but there aren't roads like some ones here where it's strip mall after strip mall. Take for example FM544 through Murphy and Wylie. Go east from Murphy Rd to 78 on this stretch of FM544. In Murphy to your right you'll see a strip mall that has a Blockbuster in a corner close to FM544. Go down 3 miles and you see another strip mall with a Blockbuster in the same spot, only this would technically be Wylie. Although the other stores in those strip malls are different (one's anchor tenant is Albertson's, the other is Home Depot) it still looks the same and driving by and I could see how you got that feeling. As a Wylie resident, I see those strip malls on FM544 simply as a necessity to get things like gas and food, not a place I want to "hang out" at all. When my wife and I want to shop for fun but not go too far from where we live, we hit up the Firewheel Town Center in (North) Garland.

Last edited by pappy97; 12-09-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,291 times
David, We live east of Dallas off of Hwy 30 in Rockwall and have for 17 years we love the area, a lake, lots of trees and some rolling hills. Rockwall has the small town feel but has a lot to offer. We have a huge lake boarders most of the county line between dallas county and Rockwall county. You can get to downtown Dallas in 30 minutes. Housing is good there are moderate to very expense homes in Rockwall. I am sure that if you visit Rockwall you will fall in love with it.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
You might consider Canton, Tx. It is further out and so has more of a small-town feel. The commute would be a bit longer (about 45 minutes to Dallas, I believe). Also look at Kaufman, Wills Point, and Forney.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
your price is a bit low for GRAPEVINE but the town itself is great (historic downtown) and has the lake and nice parks and EXCELLENT schools. A hard search might get in just over 200k.

Yes there are hiways galore surrounding Grapevine, but you can avoid them.

Keller would also be worth looking at there are a few older homes in the 150-200 range and we do have an electic little old town. Some of the older neighborhoods by bearcreek park have big old trees and eay waling to the park.
Very Good schools

Strip malls are a way of life in North Texas... so is brown and flat!
but there are some real nice pockets and loads of good school districts etc...

Look around white rock lake as someone else mentioned... Lake Highlands, Richardson etc...

Good luck.
As someone who also moved from the NE... stop trying to find the green hills and trees! Be happy that now that its January..spring is just around the corner!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
Well, I landed at DFW this afternoon, and immediately set off on my scouting trip. First impression: a lot of it is a bit flat and dull and covered with light industrial. I saw some nice looking neighborhoods up in Allen, for instance, but they seemed so cookie-cutter, new, lacking in charm or history, and surrounded by highways. In the grand scheme of things, they are probably great places to raise a family. I'm just a little spoiled with small-town life and scenery.

I then went down toward Wylie, and must have missed the best part of it, because the part I saw was either new cookie-cutter housing, or a little industrial. Going back and looking on Zillow, I obviously missed a lot. I then went through Rockwall, which seemed OK, and had a bit of an older village feel. I then headed up toward Greenville, but got stuck in the mud trying to turn around on this farm road, and two hours and $250 later got towed out.

So here's what I've learned:

1. You people have some serious mud here. I've driven through all kinds of mud, but never seen anything of this type. It was bizarre.

2. The people here are really nice. Things are modern and seem to work smoothly. The drivers don't seem bad, nor does traffic. At least compared to NY/NJ.

3. This is a big darned town, and I haven't scratched the surface yet.

4. The strip malls and commercial areas are so ubiquitous and interchangeable, I twice thought I had passed one I had stopped in earlier in the afternoon.

So I'll keep looking around, in search of that idyllic small-town community I know exists somewhere. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!

David
The big City of Dallas is nothing more than a lot of small towns intertwined together. Suburbs of Dallas, especially the northern suburbs, are very cookie cutter in both their homes and retail. You can throw a rock in the air and hit a red-brick house with a garage in-front and an Olive Garden.

Don't give up on areas around White Rock Lake -- like Lakewood, Lake Highlands and Forest Hills. These areas have the big trees, and unique homes and restaurants that you'd find in a (sophisticated) small town. Don't rule it out. I really think you could find something you like.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Hamilton is right. You are too far out - look at Lakewood and surrounding areas. Please do not judge Dallas by what you see flying into DFW Airport!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Lakewood?

OP specified $150K to $200K.

Well below Lakewood pricing.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Hey I said 'surrounding areas'! LOL..you can find something for that in Junius Heights or Ridgewood Park.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:29 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
The problem is what he wants doesn't really exist down here.

Parts do, but not together as a whole.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The problem is what he wants doesn't really exist down here.

Parts do, but not together as a whole.
Exactly . His requests are entirely too high maintenance and unrealistic for an area like the Metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas