Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,761 times

Advertisements

I am graduating college in May and moving to Texas in September. I got a job with Jcpenney in Plano but heard Plano is more family oriented. I was told as a 22 year old female leaving college Dallas is better? Any help on commute times and where to live?? THanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:42 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallynew View Post
I am graduating college in May and moving to Texas in September. I got a job with Jcpenney in Plano but heard Plano is more family oriented. I was told as a 22 year old female leaving college Dallas is better? Any help on commute times and where to live?? THanks!
Congrats! I am familiar with JCP. Most of the young/ single workers live in 3 areas: Uptown Dallas, Addison, and Plano itself (in the Legacy Shopping Center apartments). I would never want to see the office from my aparttment (Legacy option) and would not want to run into all my coworkers all the time after work and on the weekends.

The trick is to stay along the Dallas North Tollroad. You may like Addison; I find it cheesy, but the apartments are less expensive than Uptown and it cuts the commute down to about 15-20 min.

Check in Uptown- any of the Post or Gables properties are going to be full with young single professionals and it's easy to make friends there! The commute is about 25 minutes once you're on the Tollroad at Wycliff entrance so when you come look at apartments, time your drive to the Tollroad and add 25 min.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
TC gives good advice - I say go for Uptown/Oak Lawn/Turtle Creek. You will then also be near Knox-Henderson, West Village, Downtown, Design District, North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts, Fort Worth Avenue/The Belmont, Greenville Avenue, Mockingbird Station, SMU, Park Cities, Lakewood, Deep Ellum/Expo Park and The Cedars.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 PM

6,799 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Good advice has been given. Living near Downtown would be the best but it will add to your commute time. Addison would be a great compromise for a person your age. Although your job is located in Plano I would never want to live in Plano as a single person. Not saying it is not a great city but it certainly is geared toward families. You would have a reverse commute so it would not be that bad going into Plano.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,609 times
Yeah, Shops at Legacy, to me, seems to be more of a "gayborhood" of late-20s to mid-30s people - not your scene.

Addison would be your best bet, IMO.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Addison is old and cheesy. Trust me, stick with Uptown. It's only a 10-min longer drive and it's such a better area.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 AM

217 posts, read 1,045,386 times
A little background would help make suggestions. What's your lifestyle like? What city are you moving from? What's your budget going to be like? I agree that there are basically 3 parts of town you might want to consider but I think you should just know what those parts of town are all about and then you should probably visit each of them before making your decision.

1. Uptown - just north of downtown. A lot of people here are defined by being trendy and chic. Plenty of places to shop and eat. It'll be fairly expensive to live here but check out The Village, it's a good place to start. You could take 75 or the tollroad north to JCP from here.

2. Addison - little older crowd but still mostly in their 20's. You'll find plenty of 30k millionaires here. Google that if you're unsure. It's a big problem around all of Dallas but there seems to be a big concentration in Addison. Probably because Addison has a very big bar scene. It'll be a pretty short drive up the tollroad to get to JCP.

3. Plano - suburbia for sure but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. There are still plenty of young single people living and working in Plano. Plenty of shopping and eating here too. There are still good places to go out and have fun at night, you just have to know where to look, they're not all in your face like they are in Addison. If you do live in Plano I would agree that the Shops at Legacy is probably not going to be for you. It's a lot of single older people who either never married or are divorced. The bars and restaurants in that center are known to be hangouts for cougars.

In the end the best thing you can do is spend a little time in each area before deciding where to move. Personally I wouldn't want to deal with the commute and would just end up living in Plano. If my job was close to uptown then I would find a place close to uptown. I just don't like wasting 45 minutes going to and from work.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
In the end the best thing you can do is spend a little time in each area before deciding where to move. Personally I wouldn't want to deal with the commute and would just end up living in Plano. If my job was close to uptown then I would find a place close to uptown. I just don't like wasting 45 minutes going to and from work.
A commute on the tollway heading northbound in the mornings and southbound in the evenings would be a piece of cake.Plus, you would be able to make fun of all the other people on the other side, including myself, sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM

229 posts, read 606,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Addison is old and cheesy. Trust me, stick with Uptown. It's only a 10-min longer drive and it's such a better area.
agreed

Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 AM

I reverse commute to Legacy & the Tollroad from Turtle Creek/ Uptown (Wycliff entrance) every day. It's 25 min door-to-desk in the morning (7:30-8am) and 25-45 min in the evening (longer at 5, shorter after 6). It is such an easy commute, it's totally worth it to have fun things to do and all my friends nearby when I get home at night.

The trick to the commute is to live as close to the tollroad as possible. You do not want to take 75 or live in the Village, as pp suggested. Too long to get across town and 75 takes you out ofthe way off To the east before cutting west to the Tollroad at George Bush.

If you live in Plano, you will miss the experience of living in Dallas. You'll think that you will drive into town during the week for concerts or to eat dinner or go to a Mavs game, but you won't. Plus, being in your early 20s, you DO NOT want to be driving home on the highway at midnight/ 2am after going out. Too many drunk drivers on the road! There have been about a half-dozen FATAL crashes on the Tollroad this year due to alcohol late at night. Plano is about a $40 cab ride from uptown. If you live in uptown, you can walk, take the free McKinney Ave trolley, or a $5 cab ride home jf you ever need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas