Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2aus View Post
I've got friends in Southlake that live in a subdivision called Myers Meadows (I think) and they have the community pool and the organized swim team for the kids.
That's cool - Who do they compete with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Many of the community (non-school) swim teams compete in this league: TAAF - Texas Amateur Athletic Federation - Home (http://www.taaf.com/site/ - broken link) It has been around for a LONG time. I used to swim on a city team back in the 1980s that competed in TAAF competitions.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:20 AM

47 posts, read 252,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2aus View Post
I've got friends in Southlake that live in a subdivision called Myers Meadows (I think) and they have the community pool and the organized swim team for the kids.
No pool in Myers Meadow, only a set of tennis court and a ramshackle playground or two. If you seek golf and all the trimmings, center on Timarron, and look nowhere else.

Timarron is the premier subdivision in Southlake, and home values are definitely the best protected here.

Be aware that early stage foreclosures are everywhere in Southlake, and if one or two of these go to REO, it'll hurt your comps. Southlake is littered with nouveau riche people who drive leased Land Rovers, but are really $50,000-a-year millionaires. There IS some real money in the town (retired Cowboys, and such), but most people are relos from coastal areas who now feel very rich.

I just moved out of Southlake to go back to NJ, so I can look at this from both sides of the coin. (I lived in Myers Meadow, but had friends who lived all over the town in different HOA's)

Last edited by NSANY; 12-27-2009 at 07:35 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Many of the community (non-school) swim teams compete in this league: TAAF - Texas Amateur Athletic Federation - Home (http://www.taaf.com/site/ - broken link) It has been around for a LONG time. I used to swim on a city team back in the 1980s that competed in TAAF competitions.
Yeah, I think that's the league the City of Richardson swim team uses. I just have never seen a subdivision have a competitive swim team like they have in Atlanta. My cousin's subdivision had to take our their lagoon style pool and put in an Olympic style pool in order to meet the requirements of having a swim team.

But, then again, I've never been to Southlake.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 AM

37 posts, read 91,898 times
I agree with the forum as far as Southlake, Colleyville, Grapevine, and perhaps even parts of Keller. Overall, Southlake has the best schools and would put you very close to shopping, entertainment, etc.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 PM

155 posts, read 502,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSANY View Post
No pool in Myers Meadow, only a set of tennis court and a ramshackle playground or two. If you seek golf and all the trimmings, center on Timarron, and look nowhere else.

Timarron is the premier subdivision in Southlake, and home values are definitely the best protected here.

Be aware that early stage foreclosures are everywhere in Southlake, and if one or two of these go to REO, it'll hurt your comps. Southlake is littered with nouveau riche people who drive leased Land Rovers, but are really $50,000-a-year millionaires. There IS some real money in the town (retired Cowboys, and such), but most people are relos from coastal areas who now feel very rich.

I just moved out of Southlake to go back to NJ, so I can look at this from both sides of the coin. (I lived in Myers Meadow, but had friends who lived all over the town in different HOA's)
My bad. I have my subdivisions confused. I know someone is Myers Meadow too, but I was actually was thinking of Southridge Lakes subdivision. I also checked their homeowners web site to get my facts straight - the swim team is called the barracudas.

Here is how the site describes the neighborhood...
400 homes on half acre lots in Southlake, Texas, a suburb of Dallas/Fort Worth. Southlake is a growing community, with a population of about 25,000. SouthRidge Lakes offers extensive amenities, including several lakes, a competition-size swimming pool, a community pavilion and clubhouse, four lighted tennis courts, children's playground, a basketball and volleyball court, an athletic field, and landscaped common areas

I always thought this neighborhood looked really appealing and it seems to have a lot of amenities the op was looking for.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 21,886 times
you might end up regretting living in the suburbs. your kids may too when they get older. Uptown dallas is very nice, and safe too.

The big cities in Texas are more metropolitan and probably more what your used to...the further you go from the city the more redneck it gets and i'm sure thats not your thing

Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm thinking Southlake is full of people from other parts of the country and, therefore, not so redneck.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM

16 posts, read 50,038 times
Well, I am not into keeping up with the jones...just looking for a safe family oriented area with great schools....also, we lived in New England and moved to the south in the carolina's...so I also have some relatives that could be a little redneck- as I am used to that.
Just curious what property taxes look like on a $500K house in Colleville, or Southlake?? what is the difference between colleville and southlake?? (don't mind the sp)

Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 PM

47 posts, read 252,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastgirl1970 View Post
Just curious what property taxes look like on a $500K house in Colleville, or Southlake?? what is the difference between colleville and southlake?? (don't mind the sp)
500K house in SL will be at least 10-12K in taxes. Maybe more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas