Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 21,889 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20 about to be 21 year old male. I'm about to get my own place somewhat soon and was wondering what the best neighborhood in Dallas is to live. I live in Fort Worth right now and am not too crazy about it. When I was a young kid I lived in fells point in baltimore, md and really liked the way things were there. I'm looking for something with a very urban vibe, and metropolitan feeling. Preferably somewhere where a car is not absolutelly necessary for everything. In fort worth you HAVE to have a car it's too far to walk even just to simply go to the store, and I hate that. I don't want to live in a dangerous area, tho I'm not scared of the city I can hold my own. The area also cannot be too expensive over 1000/month is too much probably. I would also prefer an area with very few of detached housing, and mostly apartments and such; and not a planned community where everything is compartmentalized. I hope i've explained myself well enough without being too long and annoying. Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice.

I guess I'll move back to b'more, or another "real" city if I have to but don't wanna be so far from my family and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
Look on Oram and LaVista around Skillman and Abrams - lots of apartments and duplexes. This is sort of the Lakewood/East Dallas area.

Also the upper part of Gaston Ave - north of Beacon - will put you on the other side of this same area.

In the Lakewood Shopping Center, you'll find a grocery store (Whole Foods), restaurants, bars, a concert venue (Henry Rollins in coming in Feb!), dry cleaner, antique store, etc.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,823 times
Downtown, Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville

Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,024 times
Uptown and most parts of Oak Lawn.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 21,889 times
I was under the impression that Uptown was an expensive area? I love McKinney avenue though, I wish the whole city was like that the way it was in b'more...and not so expensive. It seems kinda backwards that the more suburban areas are cheaper than the urban areas, if I remember correctly it was almost the other way around in baltimore (outside of the city being more costly, baltimore was very urban thru and thru) but I was a kid and didn't really know much about the costs involved.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,823 times
Yes, Uptown Dallas is relatively expensive. Seriously, have you ever lived anywhere besides Baltimore and DFW? No offense intended, but much of Baltimore is a s***hole compared to Dallas. And yes, I've been there. Most upscale urban areas in this country are going to be more expensive than the surrounding suburbs. That's because they have much more to offer. Baltimore and certain other cities (Detroit and Newark come to mind) differ because many people want to avoid the crime and blight inside of those cities.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,737 times
Fells point, MD? Haha.. that is one dirty area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas