Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 AM

115 posts, read 247,820 times

Advertisements

I have decided to put off relocating until 6/2010 when the school year end. I have been looking via internet for homes to rent in SW Arlington and the zipcode area of 75104. I have aplied at the VA in Dallas. I have also looked into Parkland, Texas Health Resource, and Baylor. How difficult is it to secure employment from out of state? Im a RN working in the ER for 5 years. What will be the drive to/from these hospitals from the areas I listed above? I will be in Dalls Feb 12-15 to look into some subdivisions. Thank you all for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
SW arlington will not be easy commute for anything in Dallas--check a map--
no public transportation and you will be catty-corner from where you want to work--no direct route from SW Arlington on freeway
there are hospitals all around the metroplex

check out posts about choice one--a medical reference service in operation in this area--
there are also posts about nursing jobs/hospital employers other than the VA

Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 PM

333 posts, read 1,019,917 times
I drive from Plano area to Baylor in about 25-30 minutes. It's not a bad commute at all. I don't know of anyone that drives from Arlington to that area though. I do know several that commute from Garland, Richardson, and Irving though. If you're in a compact state, obtaining a job and your temp license won't be any big deal. As soon as you obtain a physical address in TX, you need to go ahead and apply for the temp license, because they only give you 30 days after you begin work, and it takes about 10 days to receive. This will cost you about $200. If you're not in a compact state, it's still doable, but you will need the TX license in hand before actually beginning work. Most facilities will go ahead and interview you though, and some will hold a position up to 2 weeks if they really want you.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,211,046 times
What made you zero in on southwest Arlington? That is not a fun or easy commute to any of the hospitals you mentioned. Why not look in Dallas? Or Irving/Las Colinas if you end up at Parkland or any other hospital in the Medical District?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,211,046 times
Ok, I just googled that zip code. It's Cedar Hill. That's a good location for commuting to any of those hospitals.

Cross Southwest Arlington area off your list though.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:48 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,450,111 times
A few weeks ago BUMC (the big Baylor in Dallas) had $3000 referral bonus ads on the cafeteria tables. My guess is there are definitely nursing jobs available.

Edit: I looked at the Baylor Website and found over 200 RN positions listed - serach for REGISTERED NURSE:

Reward Staffing

Come join us!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:34 PM

6,758 posts, read 13,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrn2004 View Post
I have decided to put off relocating until 6/2010 when the school year end. I have been looking via internet for homes to rent in SW Arlington and the zipcode area of 75104. I have aplied at the VA in Dallas. I have also looked into Parkland, Texas Health Resource, and Baylor. How difficult is it to secure employment from out of state? Im a RN working in the ER for 5 years. What will be the drive to/from these hospitals from the areas I listed above? I will be in Dalls Feb 12-15 to look into some subdivisions. Thank you all for your help in advance.

Do you have kids and what kind of neighborhood are you looking for.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 AM

115 posts, read 247,820 times
Thank you all for your responses. I am already licensed as a RN in Texas. I narrowed my relocation to arlington and cedar hill, based on others suggestions as fas as arlington, then sw is the safest place, yes, I have children ranging from the ages of 17. And 2. I want to live in a diverse, safe, family oriented neighborhood, with descent schools. I prefer nice things but I don't have the keeping up with the joneses mentality. I was concerned that since I'm still out of state would I have difficulty being hired, I don't wwant to move until I have a guaranteed job, I didn't know if I should rent a mailbox, so I can have a dallas address, I can change my cell number, and fly out to interview with no problem. I can't and don't feel comfortable moving with out having a job secured. I live in a suburb about 20 minutes from detroit, mi. I like the city but don't have to be in hustle or bustle of it. I like to go out every now and then. I also like shopping, restaurants, football, movies, bowling..etc.

Thanks

Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,420,730 times
You might also try the Methodist Hospital System, they have a location west of downtown Dallas, one south of Dallas and one in Mansfield - all of which would be closer than Big Baylor.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM

333 posts, read 1,019,917 times
If you already have your license then it shouldn't be an issue at all. All of the facilities hire out of state applicants all the time, because so many people relocate to Dallas area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas