Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM

871 posts, read 2,676,796 times

Advertisements

Driving around Sunday we discovered that the fifth Gold Class Cinemas in the nation will open 10 miles from us (in Allen, TX) in March! Been DYING to see a movie at this place since I heard about the first one in Redmond, WA. Been featured on nightline and all that. Each theater only has 40 seats, all nice HT recliner type seats. Tix are reg. $29/each ($22/each if u join their club...), but so worth it: gourmet food brought to your seat, cocktails, and the best part: No kids/babies/tweens (prohibitive cost). Not a weekly thing, but great for long movies and kid movies sans the kids. I can't wait!!

Go Gold Class - Gold Class Cinemas

For Your Comfort - Gold Class Cinemas (http://goldclasscinemas.com/Cinemas/For-Your-Comfort.htm - broken link)

Note: the website says the next one is coming to Fairview, TX, but they really mean the Fairview center or something like that in Allen. I saw the signs with my own eyes on Stacy Rd in Allen. It's gonna be awesome. Hopefully it does well enough to stay open, I fear they might not get any business. Allen seems like an odd location for this, but since it's close to me I'll take it and be their best customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,000,109 times
Glad to see a Texas expansion. An upscale cinema was planned for the Stone Oak area of San Antonio in 2007, but never became a reality.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Yeah, I'll save my $19 and continue to see $10 movies (with adult beverages for sale at the bar) at the Magnolia, Angelika, and Inwood theatres. That is nuts!!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM

871 posts, read 2,676,796 times
I really thought after more than a month living DFW, having come from SV, I'd be ripping DFW. Not so, and:

For movies DFW PWNS SV (and for the most part, SF).

1.) DFW has second run theaters with reg price $1.50 going as low as 50-75 cents (Tuesdays and other specials), and the one in Garland has 15 screens and isn't the worst theater I've been to. SF/SV used to have second run theaters, but all have closed as of 10 years ago and no plans to bring any back. HUGE Point: DFW

2.) DFW has at least one theater that I just now discovered/fully realized that every show from 4-6pm (Every day) is $4.75. It's the Regal Keystone Park Stadium 16, you can see the red sign on 75 just north of 635. I get the pricing for weekdays, but ALSO weekends?? (and yes, just about every movie has at least one showing that falls into this pricing). Not even 5 bucks for a first run movie, only catch is I have to see a show that starts between 4-6pm even on Sat/Sun? I'm in. HUGE Point: DFW. (In SF/SV, Cinemark which owns local chain Century Theaters started early bird pricing, i.e. first show of the day for any film is like 7 or 8 bucks, but you can't get 5 bucks for any first run showing anywhere. Don't even know where in the entire state of California you can see a $5 first run showing, even in small towns in the middle of nowhere)

3.) DFW has the Inwood theater with the Director's Lounge seating. All seats taken out and replaced with loveseats, sofa's, and bean bag chairs. Price is normal, nothing extra! Run by Landmark Theaters who also has it in LA, but not SF/SV, very surprising to not be in SF. Point: DFW

4.) DFW (Allen) will now have Gold Class Cinemas, which is not in SF/SV and no plans thus far. HUGE Point: DFW

5.) The newest Broken Lizard (Super Troopers, Beerfest) film, The Slammin' Salmon, for some odd reason only played on 11 screens nationwide. One of those was the Angelika Dallas at Mockingbird Station. Did not come at all to SF/SV, although the BL troupe promised it would. HUGE point: DFW. P.S. We had a GREAT time at that theater and will return!!

Both metros have Cinemark XD screens, but the only place DFW is lacking is IMAX. True IMAX, not LIE-max that they have at many AMC Theaters. Besides the TI Founders IMAX which only does documentary IMAX films, I only know of one true IMAX theater in DFW, and that the one off 635 (Cinemark 17, Webb Chapel Rd). SF/SV has multiple true IMAX screens with commercial movies playing. Minor point: SF/SV

SF probably also beats DFW in terms of independent film theaters, but for the most part if a movie is playing in SF (and SV), it's playing here. If it's NY/LA only then it's not even in SF or here, so I can't complain.

All in all, if you love movies at the movie theater, you can't beat DFW. Not even NY/LA, since they don't have the ridiculous bargain options that DFW has. Sorry to be a such a new fanboy but all this stuff is just so awesome to someone like myself who hits the theaters at least once a week, now maybe twice with second run theaters.

Last edited by pappy97; 12-29-2009 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM

333 posts, read 1,017,981 times
awesome. I love Allen! I live in Plano, but have been doing alot of shopping in Allen.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
We finally went and saw "Couples Retreat" on Sunday at Cinemark Hollywood in Garland for $1. We have gone there many times for movies and for the dollar theatre it isn't bad. The only thing that gets under my skin is I know that Cinemark does a better job of keeping their location in Plano on the tollroad much better kept but won't the one in Garland, pisses me off. The same clientele go to both but in their minds ......

BTW, the movie was stinking hilarious.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:24 PM

583 posts, read 2,624,846 times
Hmmm...I think after having a toddler in our movie yesterday I just may pay $29 to NOT see children. HORRIBLE parents bring there children to a PG-13 movie (Avatar and it rocked!) at 5pm. Let the kid walk/talk/run all up the middle isle. Yes, I was that girl who very politely asked her to take her child out. She did and we were all grateful.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
Hmmm...I think after having a toddler in our movie yesterday I just may pay $29 to NOT see children. HORRIBLE parents bring there children to a PG-13 movie (Avatar and it rocked!) at 5pm. Let the kid walk/talk/run all up the middle isle. Yes, I was that girl who very politely asked her to take her child out. She did and we were all grateful.

Or teenagers that constantly talk and text. SHUT UP! SIT DOWN! GET OUT!

Hm, maybe on second thought when DH and I go to a movie we might pay that extra to get away from it all. But you JUST KNOW that there will be some parents there that bring their little ones and some teenagers. And being they paid the big bucks to be at THAT theatre they will be even bigger a-holes about their obnoxious behavior.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:32 PM

809 posts, read 1,854,843 times
There's one coming to the Domain in Ausitn in Feb 2010. I can't wait.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,371,854 times
I see first run movies at Cinamark Plano West for $5.00. It's the first show of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas