Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times

Advertisements

I used to also say that Dallas isn't pedestrian friendly. But thinking more about it made me change my mind.

Dallas is very car friendly, which people tend to equate with pedestrian unfriendly. In the summer, an air conditioned car is very convenient in Dallas. Very few people walk because they don't want to melt in the sun, it is so easy to find a parking space and traffic isn't really bad in Dallas therefore cars a are convenient.

I live in Lake Highlands, an inner ring suburban-ish part of the City Of Dallas. A place people would characterize as pedestrian unfriendly (you rarely see people walk except walking their dogs).
But within less than a mile from my house, I can walk to a big Kroger's grocery store, several restaurants, a Block Buster, a mail business, a vet, several convenience stores, a full-size CVS, several dollar stores (a Lake Highlands staple LOL). So I'd say it is pedestrian friendly. There's also a bus stop < 100 yards from my house and it would take me 45 minutes to get to work with one bus transfer. But because it is more convenient to hop in the car and get on LBJ and arrive at work <6 minutes (car friendly Dallas), the bus isn't competitive (I actually ride my bicycle instead (there is a pretty trail between my house and work), if the temperature >55F <110F and it doesn't rain).

There is also a social component that makes people think you are a bum if you walk or take the bus.

Dallas isn't pedestrian friendly if you buy a house far away from work and from shops - something a lot of people do because Dallas is so car friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I'm the OP back again...this has really generated a lot of response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Are you looking to relocate or visit and stay in a hotel?

There are pockets of neighborhoods that are walkable and near groceries, shops, restaurants, etc.
Looking to relocate. I have a few very solid cities I'm interested in...but thought I'd expand my knowledge of other cities as well....and thought I'd at least look into Dallas for possible relocation.

There are some great Dallas photographs of the downtown, and all the people moving there...kind of interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Do you just go around this forum trying to provoke arguments for lack of anything better to do? What do Phoenix, LA and Houston have to do with the OP's question? I'll say it again, Dallas IS more pedestrian friendly than any major city in Texas but it is nowhere near as pedestrian friendly as NYC. Regardless of what your impression is, it is possible to live in the handful of areas that I listed without a car. I didn't say it is the easiest thing to do, but it can be done (esp. in Uptown). I live in a neighborhood that has about 12 restaurants within 2 blocks of my house. If I needed to, I could also walk or ride a bike to the subway station at CityPlace and take DART rail to many other parts of Dallas. The OP was asking if Dallas had any pedestrian friendly neighborhoods, NOT if the entire city of Dallas was pedestrian friendly. I answered his question honestly. Please READ MORE CAREFULLY before you accuse people of making misleading statements.
I did actually just assume that Dallas isn't pedestrian friendly, as I've never heard anything that it was.

The news about the DART Rail is real interesting though. Just having that in existance, will mean that places build up around those stations, etc. Does Houston have something like that as well? For whatever reason, I assumed that TX was a state that would never have anything like DART Rail.

Also, Uptown, or places like that DOES sound interesting. Is that quite expensive? That is the other problem....wanting cake and eating it too...something walkable and convenient, that isn't either a major salary to pay for it, or life endangering to pay for it. Seems like there are few places in the imbetween in American cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Generally speaking, the DFW metroplex isn't pedestrian friendly, but there are PLENTY of neighborhoods IN Dallas that are: Uptown, Oak Lawn, & Knox-Henderson are the most denssely populated and easiest to navigate on foot.

I live on Turtle Creek (boulevard that straddles Oak Lawn & Uptown neighborhoods) and a typical day on the weekend is this:
Uptown, Oak Lawn, & Knox-Henderson. I'll have to google map those areas and see what they look like!

Quote:
Really, zox??! Because everywhere I walk in Uptown & Oak Lawn, every single street has a sidewalk. Most all have handicapped ramps at every corner. There are other people walking around- hundreds of them, especially during the day. I would call those neighborhoods pedestrian friendly & designed for pedestrian use.

OP wasn't asking about Murphy or Lewisville or Keller, he was asking if PARTS of Dallas meet his requirements. And parts do.
Yeah, mostly looking for areas that MIGHT be...I kind of assumed the entire city of Dallas wouldn't be. As long as areas do exist, and with the DART Rail, it gives hope that more might exist in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
Is NYC really the most walkable city? I always thought it was Boston. I couldn't find any definitive list, though both Boston and NYC were among the top 10-just another excuse for a rivalry lol. I did see Austin, TX among those. -I've never been to Austin myself but the OP asked if there were any other places to be referred to.
I have lived in NYC before...funny as it is quite amazing there for that regards. But just very typical normal even for small cities anywhere else in the world.

Austin appeals to me as well, I think it has a lot of great areas...except it sounds like the job market is abysmal. I remember a famous Austin joke...a guy goes into a restaurant, and the waiter says "HI, I'm Dr. Mathews, and I'll be your waiter this evening. By the way, here is a flyer to my band playing this weekend".

Quote:
Hey, I've lived in NYC and Dallas and will say you are equally likely to get hit by a driver when walking in both cities. The difference is, in NYC, you have no choice but to schlep your groceries and dry cleaning home by walking a few blocks. I miss all the great people watching from walking around NYC and the fact that there are way more people walking at night there, but it's really nice in Dallas to be able to drive to Target or Tom Thumb for convenience reasons and walk to Starbucks or the movies for fun & fresh air.
That's a good point. I loved living in NYC, but hated when I actually REALLY needed things that you could easily pick up at a K-Mart or Wal-Mart. On the other hand, since apartments are MUCH smaller, you don't need to spend entire weekends browsing wal-marts with things to purchase to fill the place up.

I still prefer NYC...BUT, now that I'm married and have a kid...I might not want to live in a big place and have to shop to fill it up every weekend...but a family seems to create that existance somehow or another anyways.

Sounds like Dallas might provide a bit of both somehow...if living in the right area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Turtle

I agree and that's why I want to move back to Dallas. You have a nice mix of suburban and some pedestrian outlets. I just want people to be informed. There are people like my sister who live in downtown Chicago and the idea of living in a place like Naperville is too suburban for her. When I read threads like this, I think of people like her who might read this. I just think they should be told the truth. Dallas is generally not a pedestrian friendly city but there are areas that are.
I'm not familiar with Naperville IL...is that just generic suburbia? Is Dallas MUCH more like that, and much less of the other. I've always kind of had that impression...but yeah, it is important for me to keep that in mind as well...as it is easy to start to believe otherwise somehow.

Truthfully, I'd rather be in a New York, Boston kind of place...but cost of living is way too high. I have discovered Pittsburgh as a very affordable option to live in an urban setting with all of the amenities. I'm actually holding other places to what I perceive it to be like.

Dallas is a bit intriging though...I guess because a lot of international attraction and Californians moving there...warmer weather, better climate, etc. It's still low on my list, but I just like considering all possibilities nontheless.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
The Californians that are moving here seem like they are all in Frisco, Little Elm, Plano, Allen and McKinney, Southlake, Keller, Grapevine, Coppell, Colleyville - the booming northern suburbs with above average public schools. If you have a child, you too, will have to consider schools when picking a place to live (unless the plan is to use private schools) and sometimes that means living in areas you wouldn't live in otherwise. If the plan is to use private schools, that opens up all kinds of interesting places.

I spent some time in Oak Cliff-Kessler Park-Bishop Arts District over the holidays and it's a cool area and there are plenty of families, but all the kids are in private schools.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I did actually just assume that Dallas isn't pedestrian friendly, as I've never heard anything that it was.

The news about the DART Rail is real interesting though. Just having that in existance, will mean that places build up around those stations, etc. Does Houston have something like that as well? For whatever reason, I assumed that TX was a state that would never have anything like DART Rail.

Also, Uptown, or places like that DOES sound interesting. Is that quite expensive? That is the other problem....wanting cake and eating it too...something walkable and convenient, that isn't either a major salary to pay for it, or life endangering to pay for it. Seems like there are few places in the imbetween in American cities.
Houston has the beginnings of a light rail system. At this point it is just one north/south line that runs from Downtown through TX Medical Center and out to Reliant Stadium. There are plans to expand light rail in Houston, but I don't know how soon that will happen.

You are correct that things tend to build up around light rail stations in the DART rail system. A few examples of developments around DART stations are West Village in Uptown West Village, Mockingbird Station about 3 miles north of Downtown Mockingbird Station and Park Lane Place about 6 miles north of Downtown Park Lane | A Massive Mixed-Use Development in Dallas, TX

Regarding Uptown Dallas, expensive is a relative term. I would estimate that a 1BR apartment would be $1000 at minimum in a large complex such as Post Properties or Gables Residential have. There are many MUCH more expensive options as well. Downtown tends to be a little cheaper than Uptown.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Turtle was candid and stated that Dallas was generally not a pedestrian friendly city and then provided information regarding pedestrian friendly aspects. You didn't. I didn't twist your words. By including some information and leaving out others, you are providing a biased response instead of an objective one. You should answer all the questions and acknowledge both pros and cons of Dallas. People come here seeking information. You have a responsibility to be honest and forthcoming.
Here is part of what I said in my first response to the OP:

"Of all the major cities in TX, Dallas is probably the most pedestrian friendly. But it's no NYC because there are still lots of areas here where you will need to drive."

Then I proceeded to list several areas of inner-city Dallas that are pedestrian friendly. There is nothing inaccurate or misleading about any of that. If I didn't phrase it in a way that you found pleasing, it's because I was unaware that I was being graded. You come across as an elementary school teacher talking down to her students. And you're preachy too. Back off.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 AM

190 posts, read 430,531 times
DART is also in the process of implementing the largest rail expansion in the world bringing their total track to 95 miles including stops at Fair Park (the biggest collection of art deco buildings in the world and home to 8 museums and a couple of wonderful concert venues) Deep Ellum (a historic entertainment district HOPEFULLY on the rebound from what has been a fairly dead decade in the area) and Baylor Hospital among others. and zox, I am trying to sell Dallas because of all I think it has to offer, but that doesnt mean I'm going to be dishonest.

To reply more directly to the op, Dallas on the whole is more car oriented than pedestrian oriented, but as other posters have mentioned there are several neighborhoods where you won't need your car too often unless you want to use it and it is urbanizing at an extraordinary pace.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
DART is also in the process of implementing the largest rail expansion in the world bringing their total track to 95 miles including stops at Fair Park (the biggest collection of art deco buildings in the world and home to 8 museums and a couple of wonderful concert venues) Deep Ellum (a historic entertainment district HOPEFULLY on the rebound from what has been a fairly dead decade in the area) and Baylor Hospital among others. and zox, I am trying to sell Dallas because of all I think it has to offer, but that doesnt mean I'm going to be dishonest.
The DART system DOES sound very promising.

Even if Dallas isn't very pedestrian-friendly, for the most part, at least with a DART system, it will become moreso...unless of course, they are commuter trains where people just park in one huge lot and go directly to work, and directly back out again. But, still, better than nothing at all!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 AM

I just looked at East Dallas, Oak Lawn, & Knox-Henderson.

Yeah, I can see what people are saying. It does seem that they are walkable. Not many people around though, and if you were walking on the sidewalks, it seems like one of those places, that if you did see another walker coming at you, you'd be wondering if you should say 'hello' or continue walking - meaning that for the most part, you'd generally be alone on your walks, it seems.

Knox-Henderson looks real interesting on google maps. Nice houses, lots of trees, and stores nearby. It that a higher priced area?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just looked at East Dallas, Oak Lawn, & Knox-Henderson.

Yeah, I can see what people are saying. It does seem that they are walkable. Not many people around though, and if you were walking on the sidewalks, it seems like one of those places, that if you did see another walker coming at you, you'd be wondering if you should say 'hello' or continue walking - meaning that for the most part, you'd generally be alone on your walks, it seems.

Knox-Henderson looks real interesting on google maps. Nice houses, lots of trees, and stores nearby. It that a higher priced area?
Knox-Henderson is a pretty densely populated area with a good bit of foot traffic. Not sure what time of day the Google crew shot their Street View footage, but the Knox side of 75 is generally crowded at nights and during the day on the weekends. The Henderson side is more crowded at night due to the fact that bars & restaurants were the first to move in and become trendy. The retail is now following- around the light at McMillan and closer to 75.

As for housing, this is a 2 mile swath of Dallas that cuts from the highest price real estate to one of the lower income areas. On the Knox side, west of the Katy Trail is Highland Park, one of the oldest and most exclusive enclaves in the city. Schools are the best in Texas and housing prices start from $850k (three-level townhomes that back directly to the Katy Trail at Abbott) into the $20M range.

At the other end of Henderson is Ross Avenue. The area is in transition and on the upswing, but you can probably rent an apartment in one ofthe last drug & crime infested buildings for $400/mo or so (not that I'd recommend that!)

In the middle, the area is full of rentals and owned property, ranging from 1910s Craftsman Bungalows ($200-300k) in the streets north of Henderson at Belmont to brand new apartment buildings ($800-1,000/ mo for 1br) south of Henderson at Belmont to 1920s-1940s Eclectic and Spanish style cottages ($275-400k) Cochran Heights south of Henderson to new construction homes ($500-650k) just north of there. On the Knox side, there are some very old (but safe) apartmets right at McKinney and Knox ($600-800/mo) next to brand new Gables properties ($1,100-1,500 for 1br). There is high rise living at Travis (rent $1,250+, buy $350k+). Also a lot of modern and contemporary architecture sprinkled into the neighborhood ($500k-$1M++), as well as lots of townhomes built inthe past 15 years ($275k-$1M).

It's a very diverse area in terms of the housing not all being homogenous.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
^^^ I'll add that last night in the bad weather with rain and rain mixed with snow we stopped at Primo's on the way to the hockey game in that area. There is an Albertson's and Walgreens all right there within EASY walking distance of many residences. Heck, it was so close to some it would take a lot longer to go to your car, drive around the one-way streets and then park than it would be to just walk. We saw a TON of people out walking as well. The weather did not seem to deter anyone. The entire area was bustling w/ foot traffic and the sidewalks are wide enough for people to walk on and pass each other without having to step into the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas