Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM

15 posts, read 55,977 times

Advertisements

My daughter is getting ready to enter Kindergarten next fall, and an entire day of kindergarten in public school from 8 to 3 seem too long. I am trying to find a shorter Kindergarten day (half day), shorter school week...anything. Does anyone know of a private K, or a church-based Kindergarten in the Plano/Frisco or surrounding areas that offers half-day or few days in school a week? If so, do you know if they are good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
I think The Children's Workshop in Plano has half day kindergarten. I have heard it is a really good school.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:27 AM

709 posts, read 3,472,729 times
I have to ask why you feel the day is too long? I don't mean this disrespectively I just am curious. Is she a younger future kinder student? If she isn't going to be 5 by Sept. 1st then this isn't even an issue. However, if she is 5 and then you are making this decision then I ask that you reconsider.

I'll be very honest with you if there is any way you can reconsider it would be in her best interest as the standards in school these days are higher. Kids can handle more than you realize and full day isn't as bad as you may think. If you plan on her entering 1st grade after a 1/2 day kinder or even shorter week, I can almost guarantee that school will be a challenge for her. I don't mean this in a rude way I just know from experience. This year we had numerous kids entering school without full day or even kinder experience and they are struggling more so than the children that were in our full day kinder program in a public school situation.

Again, I'm not trying to be disrespectful I'm just trying to share from my professional experience what I've seen. I am also a parent and I'm very glad that my son experienced full day kinder. He is a top notch student and doing very well and I contribute that partially to his experience in full day kinder/school.

Good luck in what ever decision you make.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:54 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Even the private Kindergartens like at Primrose are full day. Texas moved to full day kinder a few years ago, and it's a great thing. Parents who work don't have to pay so much extra for daycare, or stop working because their kid only goes to school for a couple of hours. A couple of hours is nothing, and kids learn nothing in 1/2 day.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:32 PM

15 posts, read 55,977 times
My daughter will be 5 by the beginning of the school year. Based on your comments, I am just wondering if you a teacher? I am just considering the possibility of half day and to what extent that exists. Texas just recently mandated full day Kinder and from what I have read the outcomes are similar between the two types.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:59 PM

16 posts, read 49,997 times
well, my daughter is 5 1/2 and only attends half day kindergarten on the east coast. She is WIPED out by the time she gets off the school bus. Each child is different. I too am not used to full day kindergarten.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 PM

214 posts, read 487,775 times
At age 5/6, children should still be spending almost all of their time playing--it is how their brains develop. Sitting in a classroom all day isn't good for them, IMO.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 PM

new in plano...kinder in public school at least in North Texas area is primarily full day. I honestly don't know of any 1/2 day programs in public school at least in the North Texas area

pre-school public is 1/2 day primarily in public school but your daughter would not qualify due to her age and there are several other criteria for students to qualify for PK programs

as far as choice goes it all depends on what you feel is in the best interest for your child...I am a teacher and parent and feel that full day is perfectly acceptable/appropriate for most children if handled in the right manner...most of the suburbs around Dallas have very strong kinder programs with researched based programs ...hope this helps

Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
ALL public schools in the ENTIRE state of Texas are REQUIRED to have full day kindergarten. This was put into full effect for the 2005-2006 school year. It has been around for awhile now.

I purposely sent my youngest to a school w/ full day for her kinder year as it was a year before all schools had to have it and our neighborhood school was one that did not. It was staggered in over a few years. It really is not a big deal. Both of my kids have many friends w/ birthdays right at the cut off and it is no big deal either. As for the full day - LOVE IT!!!! It is a lot of fun for them. They are REQUIRED to take a nap so the kids do have plenty of "down time". They have a lot of "play stations" in the kindergarten rooms now as well for them to do more than what is considered "formal instruction". They do a lot of fun things as well as the "formal instruction". It is not any different than what you will find in many preschools but with more formal instruction for the basics.

For the record, even in 2nd grade my younger daughter would routinely fall asleep in the car on the way to her sisters school. She still did that even in 4th grade at times. A full day can "wipe out" a kid of any age, just ask my high schooler.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM

kinder in CFB and LISD don't have nap times or rest times ...I would imagine other districts are the same (I teach in one district and my son attends the other)

and I agree with momof2dfw...kids of all ages are tired at the end of the day...teachers, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas