Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,265 times

Advertisements

Just wondering since I am thinking of heading there to get certified. Mostly since some of my uncles worked as electricians and welders and want me to be a welder too like them. heh heh... Tho I rather go to college to get a B.S. in Computer Science, but my parents also say I should just get a trade so here I am asking hows the welding program over there.

Career Training College | Lincoln Educational Services

We had a rep from over there come to my school and he told us its the best school in the US to get a welding cert. Since its brand new and they have all the latest welding equipment there. He also told us one lucky student will be picked from there coming grads to work in Alaska on a 5 year contract that pays 300K/year for some oiling company.

I think he just wants us to go to his school and I don't really think you could make that much with just a certificate and not a degree unless there are contracts out there like that for welders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 AM

35 posts, read 126,130 times
Honestly, if you have the opportunity...I'd go and get the B.S in computer science. Pending complete world destruction in 2012 or the the human race falling back into the stone age, it'll serve you way better over your lifetime than a welding certificate. Assuming you have the knack for programming that is

Also, be wary of their claims on you making "tons" of cash. I've read of a few pending class action lawsuits against these "for profit" educational centers for leaving graduates out in the cold with no help in finding jobs or not meeting their promises on job opportunities...etc.

if you must. get the B.S. degree and do the welding as a "side" job/hobby to make the parents happy.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM

214 posts, read 487,967 times
I think those votech colleges are mostly scams. Research how many of their students pay back their loans. I would try to find an apprenticeship with a local welder, if you really want to go into a trade (and I think it is a smart career path if it interests you--at least welding can't be outsourced, like IT work!).

Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 AM

229 posts, read 606,930 times
the last 2 posters said it best. +reps

Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
You always have to be careful of proprietary schools. They are out to make money. Period.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,265 times
Thanks for the information. I contacted the school and they are going to be sending me a packet on what they offer so I can compare it to other schools. If they are out of the question then I could go to St.philip's[SIZE=4][/SIZE]college in SA since thats where I live and they offer welding as a degree there too.

Low long should a trade like welding take or should take in school? Some told me it took them 3 month to get certified at a trade school they went to but is 3 month even enough for an employer to think of hire you for important welding jobs? Such as pipelines or jobs out on the oilfields or at steel mills where welders are needed?

Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
Many community colleges (junior colleges) also offer good welding programs....for a FRACTION of the cost! I've known many students that were sucked in by the salesmen from the proprietary colleges (sales is what they do best, ya know!), but I can't name but two that every completed a program. They are expensive (people forget to factor in the cost of housing and food and transportation), they require many hours a week (not giving you time to work and make money), and they don't give you the support you need. Community colleges have fewer hours per day, giving you time to work, and are great at supporting and helping you with complications you may encounter.

Many people avoid community colleges because they are scared off by the word 'college - they think they have to take a lot of 'literature and stuff' but that's not true....most commnity colleges offer two separate tracks - one academic, one vocational. However, since you are wanting to do computer science, you could take classes in both at the same place - get the welding skills you need to make some money and begin working toward a BS at the same time - go to work as a welder and then continue working toward your BS part-time. There are many ways to get an education - this is just a suggestion for one way, but there are many others. Best wishes to you!!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:13 AM

35 posts, read 126,130 times
just so you're not disillusioned into thinking that you'll make more than what a lot investment bankers make.

salary.com welder I - Salary.com Salary Wizardâ„¢- Do you know what you're worth?

you're getting a lot of good advice here and one of the few times I'd say that.

Last edited by whatdoiknw; 01-05-2010 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: fix link

Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 AM

409 posts, read 1,045,083 times
I have no expericence with Linclon Tech but my husband went to Universital Tech Inst in Houston about 10 yrs ago and makes pretty damn good $ with his trade. As someone who went the college route instead of the trade route I would advice you to get your Computer Science Degree first. Pass alll your ceritifications and if you still want to go to trade school then do that after. Unlike you my husband knew college was not for him. You seem like you are open to either way so do college first.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:36 PM

264 posts, read 701,928 times
We have a couple of techs in out shop who are LT grads, and honestly, I'm not too impressed. Granted, it's auto mechanics not welders. I went to TSTC in Waco and they have excellent votech programs and the tuition is reasonable. You could actually take welding courses & computer science courses there...along w/the 15 hours of basics you need for an Associates degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas