Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Truimph, stop, man your making my sides hurt. LMAO!!!!
"Or it could be the substandard level of play by the Rangers." Yep, that is one reason.

"Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Statistical Area Cowboys."
Do they make jersey's that big? I know that whole title would fit on Puff Daddy's ballcap but good luck getting that one on a bikini like the Stars have.

"Plus there are the Roughriders right there in Frisco. They are probably a better team than the Rangers."
I'll take the RoughRiders for 4.
I really hate to see what is going to happen to the poor Rangers when GP gets their new ball team. YAAA-OUCH!

Socketz, I agree:
"when I ask them if they want to go to a game this season, all of them respond the same and say "man, that's a tough drive out to Arlington, I'd go if the game was closer". Also, my company can't give away Ranger tickets if we get em....Sharks/Maverick tickets, people fight over them....Rangers.....they get thrown away. Nobody wants to go out to Arlington."

We have Stars tickets and people jump when we call and ask if they want them even if it is the day of the game. For a game in Arlington we have to pack a suitcase and a lunch. Then have to consider where to board the dogs while we are gone on the trip. LOL!!! I think they already lost a lot of the following several years ago when it comes to the Rangers and all the growth in the entire DFW region w/ the traffic. The Cowboys will see the same thing.

I do agree that Jerry screwed up in picking a city that does not have public transportation. I don't blame the city leaders of Dallas that much (hubby says it is all Laura's fault but I don't agree). I firmly believe that if she would have approved a deal w/ JJ/Puff Daddy and it went for a vote before the citizens of Dallas that it would have been voted down. They would not want to spend the money. Now ask the citizens of all of DALLAS COUNTY and I bet it would have passed. Anyway, JJ/Puff Daddy did not win the Super Bowl, ROGER DID!!!!!!!!! Come on guys, don't you get it? It took Roger to pull out another Super Bowl for the Cowboys.

Now you want to hear something REALLY funny? When JJ was out courting all of the area cities to see who could wine and dine him the most and would bite the city of Rowlett made a bid and courted him. OMY!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!! The Rowlett Cowboys... hahahahaharrrrrhaharrr. Where would they have built the stadium? Next to the landfill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
I remember it was actually to be a waterfront stadium. I think the best proposed locations were in the Cedars in Dallas and at the north end of Lake Carolyn.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
It's not exactly a failure on Dallas' part. Think of the hotel rooms that'll be rented out. You probalbly won't be able to find a hotel room in even Weatherford, McKinney, or Terral - much less the core of the metroplex.

The truth is, in large part, that Arlington apparently made a decision years ago: to become the Orlando of Texas. Why not? They already had Six Flags and Rangers Ballpark. Why not go further and get the Cowboys. All that Arlington lacks now is a truly world-class cutting edge theme park. Even now, I don't doubt some soul is dreaming up something different that'll appeal to theme park lovers. Orlando and Anaheim truly are gonna get a lot more competition when that happens.

Though a Dallas resident, I have to toast Arlington for doing a great job of finding their niche.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:34 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
That's not what happened. San Diego was seeing huge gentrification downtown before that ballpark was even a thought. The ballpark was more of a result of that rather than trying to be a catalyst itself.
Thanks, I forgot, I never lived there. It started before the ballpark and surrounding areas were built, but that was due to people looking forward at what was to come. The ballpark made a huge difference in the direction downtown took - it's silly that you'd argue.

Outlying areas like North Park/Hillcrest were already starting to gentrify before, but that was being driven more by the skyrocketing costs of homes in the suburbs.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:38 AM

The Rowlett Comboys. Nice ring. And again, who the flip cares about Puff Daddy. If he's driving any type of policy around here, I think I'm driving home to CA now. I prefer the Terminator over Puff Daddy.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:01 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
That's not what happened. San Diego was seeing huge gentrification downtown before that ballpark was even a thought. The ballpark was more of a result of that rather than trying to be a catalyst itself.
You beat me to it... but you are correct about San Diego!!

It's funny...it's fairly easy for me to get to the new ballpark...but I hate football. lol Hubby can't wait though...the last Cowboy game he went to this year he said he was afraid he wouldn't get home alive. He had a suite...but it was leaving that scared him...lot of people acting like animals..(beyond spirited) I don't think these people are interested in Hermes!! lol

Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Thanks, I forgot, I never lived there. It started before the ballpark and surrounding areas were built, but that was due to people looking forward at what was to come. The ballpark made a huge difference in the direction downtown took - it's silly that you'd argue.

Outlying areas like North Park/Hillcrest were already starting to gentrify before, but that was being driven more by the skyrocketing costs of homes in the suburbs.
Sorry Sockets....he's right. Downtown was cleaned up and thriving WELL before the ballpark was even MENTIONED. Don't mean to be "silly"...but its a fact.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:45 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
With all due respect to the city of Dallas, the tax base here can't pay for all the programs, stadiums, events, etc, that everyone wants. Yeah, it sucks that the Cowboys aren't playing in Dallas, but Dallas has so much going for it that it doesn't require everything to be within the city limits.

What does need to happen is get Arlington to play nicely with DART - regardless of whether a light rail is brought in for the superbowl or not, it is in it's best interest to get onboard sooner rather than later. If DFW has a chance of hosting an Olympics in the future, the new stadium would be very important, just as important as a solid public transport system. We need to keep our focus on the future.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,977 times
It's great that N.Texas finally got a SB, but its basically a reward from the league for the new stadium in Arlington just like Houston got for its new stadium a few years ago.
But 50 degree temps and the threat of ice-storms is too much of a down-side to let places like N.Texas compete long-term with the Jan-Feb weather of other locals like Miami, San Diego, and Phoenix not to mention the party atmosphere and other attractions of those types of places. What people can do in the week leading up the game has really made the game itself on SB Sunday almost incidental.
Enjoy it when it rolls around but don't expect a repeat. It's a one & done deal.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Sorry Sockets....he's right. Downtown was cleaned up and thriving WELL before the ballpark was even MENTIONED. Don't mean to be "silly"...but its a fact.
Ummmmmm, no.

In 1993, I was in the Navy at 32nd street. Went downtown regularly and believe me, there was nothing there except for Horton Plaza. Lived in an apartment at 19th and C, Golden Hills (there was a small pocket of rebuilding there, but it was more for the architecture vs. gentrification). Drug deals outside my window, 5 families living in a 1500 sq/ft home across the street.

Trust me, downtown was an armpit - souless. Logan Heights, well, let's say even 20 year old sailors in packs of 10 stayed away from that area. It was dangerous (even though Logan had the best taco shop in the area). I used to hang at a little coffee shop on market that seemed chic, but that ended up shutting down after a year.

That's 1993...even places like Hillcrest and North Park were still in their 'seedy' states. I know, I looked for a rental in those areas when I got out of the Navy.

Then, by the late 1990s the Padres began to build support for a new ballpark. People laughed, but developers had the inside track. Forward thinking types with money were starting to invest. Then, Shazam, after making it to the World Series in 1998, the voters of San Diego approved a bond to allow construction of a ballpark in downtown (interest became mainstream just 5 years after it was an armpit). Recall that the stadium was scheduled to open in 2002. However, in October 2000 funding for the construction of the ballpark ended and was halted for more than a year (I believe this was when the mayor resigned/lost her job). In November 2001, the City of San Diego approved aother large bond (couple hundred milion) in order for construction to resume. By this time, most people were priced out of downtown and the re-building wheels were already turning. The stadium opened in 2004.

In Denver, it was a similar story with Coors field, which was the original model for being able to use a sports venue to drive a re-building agenda.

I know you two are probably sports haters, and hate the fact that sports may have driven any agenda in a city which you lived - but it's true.

Sports is a much stronger force when it comes to uniting people of all races, socio-economic status and backgrounds than is Art or Chic shopping (both cater to upper class). Sorry, to reiterate my point, Dallas should have tried to keep the Cowboys in Dallas. I grew up a Redskins fan and loved the rivalry....the Cowboys were a part of my youth. Kinda breaks my heart that now the Cowboys play in Arlington and the Redskins play in Landover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: