Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:49 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times

Advertisements

Hi, i've been hearing about how Dallas and North Texas is in a drought. is it really that dry in the Metroplex? How much rain does dallas get in a year? Is it always sunny?

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 02:58 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times
Dallas has been in a drought, and several area lakes are still low. But this has been a wet spring compared to the last year.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:47 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
Hubby was in town for dd's dance recital over the weekend, he said Dallas is greener than Tampa right now. I believe him ... I've never seen it so brown here.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,022 times
US Drought Severity map:

http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/...ity_large.html

Old 05-23-2007, 04:02 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
Summer is on the way, the dryness will only be getting worse now...

Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Yes, there is a drought, but this was a wet spring. Some areas have restrictions on how much water you can use, like you can only water your lawn in Frisco once a week and other areas that use different water service have less restrictive rules.

Often times the grass is all brown by August.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
We are coming out of a drought in some areas. It is not as bad as last year as the rains have been more than aplenty, for some. The farther east you go from Dallas though it is not. Several lakes are still well below like Tawakoni while lakes on the west out by Ft Worth are over in some cases. The last time it was this dry with lake levels this low was 11 years ago (we keep track, lol). Hopefully by the 4th of July we will have gotten some more rain out east and can have a pier that is OVER water and not dirt.

As for everything being so green, it was the dryness last year and then the rain that helps. For some reason that is the case. The year after a dry spring if the next one is really wet we have AWESOME Bluebonnets. Right now my Lantana's from last year are HUGE! They are NEVER that big this early in the year and even my lavender are the tallest I've ever seen them. But like I said, the native plants are really putting on a show.

As for the water restrictions, I think they should keep them at Stage 3 for EVERYONE in the Dallas/Ft Worth region. That should become our permanent usage. This area is growing like crazy and there is not enough water to sustain it. Especially when you have uninformed people that do not realize that their bermuda or st augustine does NOT need to be watered every other day for hours at a time. Once a week is sufficient which is what mine is getting when we DO turn on the sprinkler system (which has not been that much) and my yard is thick and lush w/ no weeds. BTW, I've never had a yard, trees, shrubs, etc turn brown in August. Only thing that does that are fields that are NOT planted w/ grass or trees.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:22 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
I agree.... I don't have any problems with Stage 3. Watering once a week is more than enough, and you can still hand water plants. Plus who needs a huge water bill?

Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
The weather report last night said that Dallas is currently 4.5 inches of rain ahead of normal for this tiime of year.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
san antonio has had great program to develop water conservation consciousness in its residents--they give away lo-flo toilets and have restricts in place---our area is so behind the times--and the drilling for Barnett Shale gas that people are so happy about is going to be such a downer for water conservations--those drillings use enormous amounts of water--should make them use treated water from sewer plants but they don't---cities and counties allow them to ruin good, potable water in the thousand of gallons and don't even charge them a higher price for water that really can't be reused w/o lots of money to clean it up--if it can be recovered...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas