Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times

Advertisements

I live in the Dallas suburbs when I'm not at school right now, but I'm getting married and June and my fiance and I starting to scout out places to live.

I'll be working in Plano right off 75, and he'll be attending school at UT Southwestern right next to Parkland. I'm pretty much willing to commute to from anywhere north of I-30 since I'll be going against traffic, but he doesn't want to be more than 15 minutes away from the school due to the nature of the schedule.

We're considering apartments, but space and storage are a big deal for us, so we think we'd like to rent a house. Buying isn't really an option right now as it is 95% likely we'll be moving in 4 years due to med school residency, though we may consider it after a year or so.

Another factor is my fiance is a BIG cyclist, and we think it would be wise to live near a safe place for him to ride (we're talking 2-3 hours of riding a day). The only place I know of right now is White Rock Lake--any other suggestions? I enjoy that area myself--seems like a pretty safe place to run (during the day at least, wouldn't go near it at night)

Based on that, I was thinking the area around White Rock (Lakewood, Casa Linda, Lake Highlands, Forest Hills) or the M-Streets near Greenville, Ave would be a good place to look for homes to rent. I've found a few online that look pretty cute (I love early 1900s cottages and bungalows) and were willing to pay up to $1200 in rent (though of course less is better) We're hoping to get something with at least 2 bedrooms/bonus rooms.

Anyone have any comments on any of these areas? Pretty safe? Anything to watch out for?

Any other areas you would recommend? We are both grew up in the suburbs and would like to experience the city--not really the clubbing type, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM

20 posts, read 62,772 times
mSooner,

I am looking in the same neighborhoods, but with a little bit higher rent budget (1,500) as the original poster. My wife will be working at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas and I will be working downtown. We are late 20's and ready to begin our family. I would love some suggestions on those East Dallas neighborhoods as well (DART will go right to my place of employment near St. Paul station!)

Sooner, in the year I have lived in Dallas, I have noticed getting east-west (or west-east) in this town is a pain..I'm not sure he could make it to UTSW in 15 min from out there!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
I dont know where parkland is but if your working in plano move to plano. There is a huge trail that runs through the west side of the town too.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Parkland and UTSW are in the Harry Hines/Inwood area. You might look into renting near the Katy Trail for your husband to cycle and be able to get to work w/in 15 minutes. Off Knox where Katy Trail intersects, he can ride into Highland Park to extend his route.

For the other poster - if you want to ride the Dart Train to work, you'll want to look at M-Streets and Stonewall Terrace to take the train from Mockingbird Station.
Or look around the White Rock Station - the are some houses just west of the train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas