Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do think I should do?
Take a chance and plenty of permanent jobs available 2 11.11%
Find employment before moving 15 83.33%
Plenty of temp services available, 2 11.11%
None of teh above. Don't move to Texas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times

Advertisements

I just stayed at a hotel for a couple of nights...and Motel 6 for example is like 40 bucks with tax and they have free internet...so you can be checking craigslist apartments, making calls, etc. Then in the day I looked at apartments, and when you visit an apartment you saw online, you end up seeing other places and drive around...and you will find something quick because as I learned, this is the "slow" time here for moving since the weather is crappy and cold...but it is better for you. The other good thing is most places will have small initial deposits, not even a full month's rent. Most landlords here care about you having good credit and no criminal history so if you have that and the money to move in you could probably lower the rent asking price (I did by 50 bucks a month).

Just don't waste time on apartments that aren't available. A lot are advertising well in advance takes place, so let that be your first comment to save time.

I found my apartment after being here for 3 days. Moved in the 3rd day (I had an air mattress lol). Start thinking now if you want to go through a major complex or a small owned property. You can view the major complexes online and see requirements and call already. The small ones are usually a better deal and have fewer tennent problems from what I see. It is very family oriented here, everyone asks where you are from when you move in and its nice. Mind their own business but let you know they are "there", which is cool. It is cold, so most people stay indoors and you don't see the neighbors unless you are arriving or leaving at the same time though.

Oh, something to warn you about, a lot of the small complexes are actually owned by real estate groups or property management companies...and it is a hassel. They leave NOW LEASING signs out not because something is available at that building but at another property. They may even have the apartment listed on the sign as 1/1 $650 and you call and it has been rented since months back but there is something available for $800 2 miles away. It is strange, so just ask if X apt is still available and if not now, for which date...and then you can ask what the other properties have available now are if you care. However most of the available ones will be the most expensive ones in those situations.

Just so you know, when you do rent, you have to choose an electric company. No FPL monoploy here. It is hard to pick one if you have been force few like we are in Florida, so be prepared for that. You will have no idea which one out of the 100 to choose from...and that process may add a day or two wait to your apartment move in.

In essnece, research which areas you think you are interested in. Find an affordable extended stay hotel or a Motel 6 type place for a week and that should be enough to get settled in a new apartment. The more knowledge you come with, the easier, faster and CHEAPER it will be for you.

Where in Florida are you comming from? Oh and watch out for the crazy turning lane signals here, they are so confusing...and the Sunpass lanes here are hard to understand as well, there isn't just a cash lane, there are exact cash only and need change lol. Sunpass here is called Toll Tag I think, and on some of the tollroads they do the open tolling but don't warn you, so you get on and get your ticket mailed to you if you don't have the transponder, so stay off of them if you can at the beginning. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 PM

41 posts, read 77,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I just stayed at a hotel for a couple of nights...and Motel 6 for example is like 40 bucks with tax and they have free internet...so you can be checking craigslist apartments, making calls, etc. Then in the day I looked at apartments, and when you visit an apartment you saw online, you end up seeing other places and drive around...and you will find something quick because as I learned, this is the "slow" time here for moving since the weather is crappy and cold...but it is better for you. The other good thing is most places will have small initial deposits, not even a full month's rent. Most landlords here care about you having good credit and no criminal history so if you have that and the money to move in you could probably lower the rent asking price (I did by 50 bucks a month).

Just don't waste time on apartments that aren't available. A lot are advertising well in advance takes place, so let that be your first comment to save time.

I found my apartment after being here for 3 days. Moved in the 3rd day (I had an air mattress lol). Start thinking now if you want to go through a major complex or a small owned property. You can view the major complexes online and see requirements and call already. The small ones are usually a better deal and have fewer tennent problems from what I see. It is very family oriented here, everyone asks where you are from when you move in and its nice. Mind their own business but let you know they are "there", which is cool. It is cold, so most people stay indoors and you don't see the neighbors unless you are arriving or leaving at the same time though.

Oh, something to warn you about, a lot of the small complexes are actually owned by real estate groups or property management companies...and it is a hassel. They leave NOW LEASING signs out not because something is available at that building but at another property. They may even have the apartment listed on the sign as 1/1 $650 and you call and it has been rented since months back but there is something available for $800 2 miles away. It is strange, so just ask if X apt is still available and if not now, for which date...and then you can ask what the other properties have available now are if you care. However most of the available ones will be the most expensive ones in those situations.

Just so you know, when you do rent, you have to choose an electric company. No FPL monoploy here. It is hard to pick one if you have been force few like we are in Florida, so be prepared for that. You will have no idea which one out of the 100 to choose from...and that process may add a day or two wait to your apartment move in.

In essnece, research which areas you think you are interested in. Find an affordable extended stay hotel or a Motel 6 type place for a week and that should be enough to get settled in a new apartment. The more knowledge you come with, the easier, faster and CHEAPER it will be for you.

Where in Florida are you comming from? Oh and watch out for the crazy turning lane signals here, they are so confusing...and the Sunpass lanes here are hard to understand as well, there isn't just a cash lane, there are exact cash only and need change lol. Sunpass here is called Toll Tag I think, and on some of the tollroads they do the open tolling but don't warn you, so you get on and get your ticket mailed to you if you don't have the transponder, so stay off of them if you can at the beginning. Good luck!
OMG! Thank you! You are so informative. I didn't know about the electric company options. WOW! That make me really want to get over there. I can't stand the fact that we don't have that option over here.

I'm live in Jacksonville, Florida. Home of the blacked-out Jags, LOL! The highways sounds like ATL to me. Do they drive like they do in ATL? Like it's ok to do 75-80 in the passing lane where the speed limit is 55mph.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
I would say, and remember my perspective is from South Florida, that people drive well over here. There isn't too much aggressive driving....people will let you in....I mean if you are ultra timid behind the wheel it won't be easy but if you have driven in any other big city this is a piece of cake.

The other thing I forgot to warn you is when you get here and turn in your license to get a TX ID...they take the FL I.D. or license and keep it and give you a piece of paper as an ID with no picture and which is excepted by NOBODY for the month it takes to get your TX card. So, have alternate ID on hand with pictures, like a passport, SS Card or anything else....

And since you are from North Florida, I would say the weather won't be so bad for you...sinceit gets cold up in Jacksonville anyways. I think you will like it here, people are very approachable and down to earth and knowledgeable in general. Lots of helpful people and a ton of newbiews like us, so we fit in over here too.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
ANother thing is many people with garage apartments or duplexes, don't advertise at all - they just put a sign in the yard. So you have to drive around areas you like to see if there are any signs out. It cuts down on people who call from all over, not knowing where the place is, or just looky-loos who are curious about rents in other parts of town.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I would say, and remember my perspective is from South Florida, that people drive well over here. There isn't too much aggressive driving....people will let you in....I mean if you are ultra timid behind the wheel it won't be easy but if you have driven in any other big city this is a piece of cake.

The other thing I forgot to warn you is when you get here and turn in your license to get a TX ID...they take the FL I.D. or license and keep it and give you a piece of paper as an ID with no picture and which is excepted by NOBODY for the month it takes to get your TX card. So, have alternate ID on hand with pictures, like a passport, SS Card or anything else....

And since you are from North Florida, I would say the weather won't be so bad for you...sinceit gets cold up in Jacksonville anyways. I think you will like it here, people are very approachable and down to earth and knowledgeable in general. Lots of helpful people and a ton of newbiews like us, so we fit in over here too.
Thank you so much! I am so excited and ready to make this move!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
ANother thing is many people with garage apartments or duplexes, don't advertise at all - they just put a sign in the yard. So you have to drive around areas you like to see if there are any signs out. It cuts down on people who call from all over, not knowing where the place is, or just looky-loos who are curious about rents in other parts of town.
Thank you so much. That is very much like here in Jax, Florida. That make me even more comfortable with relocating.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:07 PM

137 posts, read 372,149 times
This has got to be one of the best threads I have read on the relocation topic. Everyone was very nice and informative. I also have been looking at relocating to TX (my husband's home state for over a year. I ended up more confused than when I started. Sometimes it is hard because you are looking for genuine help and friendly folks to give you their best advice and at times you get rude comments, not so helpful responses, etc. I guess it is the luck of the draw with who responds??? I was glad to hear that you think it would be okay to relocate without a job, because it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to get one while out of town. Nobody calls. Nobody wants to deal with relocation and the fact that you may not be totally serious about the move because you are not there yet. In today's economy;however, it is plain scary to up and move without anything. We are looking at June. I have a pretty detailed position and I cannot just give them two weeks and c-ya! I need to train someone so they are not up a creek. Hopefully that will be appreciated in the long run.

Hey- I have been told by apartment complexes that if you do not have 3x your rent in income that you will have to prepay your entire lease?? Anyone experience that??? I have the money to do so, but don't want to give away the farm, ya know.

Anyway, thanks again for the nice post. Very informative, upbeat and inspiring.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
there is a web site that gives info about electric providers--having one for natural gas (if that is available at your apt complex/rental is less confusing because Atmos is pretty much it)

Power to Choose

just be aware that the lowest rate quoted is not always what you are paying--every enegy provider has the right under TX law to add a surcharge to your bill for energy used in high demand periods---the past months of bad weather has caused excess demand and made the grid go to overdrive--that means electric providers have paid more (in some cases not so much) for their own electricity needs to supply their customers...so people's rates have been up--even if they did not use more electricity--although most of them did if they have electric heating for sure...

ALSO--some apt complexes supply the apts with electricity and renters can't choose another supplies like TXU vs Dynowatt vs Amigo--then don't go with that apt complex--THEY have even fewer rules protecting their clients than the larger energy providers...my son lived in one of those for a yr's lease and his electric bill for small 1 bedroom apt was high...over 200 a month easy...

Craig's list has some small--owner operated apts--listed along with other larger complexes--

a lot depends on where your job is--frankly I think the idea of doing a short term stay initially is good--but the rent could be expensive--cheaper locations could be in borderline areas for a single woman--
check a crime map to help in your decision

good luck...

Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
IMO, your chances of getting a job are better if you live here first.
Why do you say that?? I want to move from Florida to Dallas--I am hoping to get relocation assistance. Is it really difficult to find employment in Texas if you live out of state?? I hope it isn't because I am also ready to get the Hell out of Florida---It is the F*** pits in this state!!!!! If you don't have to move to Fla STAY away---there is nothing here......Can't wait to live in Dallas or one of the surrounding suburbs.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 PM

17 posts, read 199,747 times
I lost my job back in 2006. Like you, I had a lot of clerical / administrative experience. I signed up through an employment agency and within 24 hours, I had an interview and a job offer. Doesn't hurt to try!

Oh, and I lived in some cheap apartments in N Irving/ Valley Ranch area and would be happy to give you the name of the complex if you would like. Just PM me. Credit check wasn't bad, although they do a background/criminal check.

Last edited by Serpephone; 02-20-2010 at 11:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas