Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,555,977 times

Advertisements

LOVE it!!! Katy Trail & White Rock Lake...two things I've missed most since not living in Dallas proper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,374 times
I use to live on Abbott st./Knox as a child in the early 80's and I remember when freight trains still ran on that track behind our house (now it's the Katy Trial). We would put pennies down and let the train run over them. I had a nice collection of them. Right around this time (1983), DART didn't exist, but we had "Hop-a-Bus" and they were painted pink and had fake 3ft tall rabbit ears on the roof.. Am I on drugs, or does anyone else remember this? anyways -when they pulled the track up in the 90's and left just the gravel, we would "off-road" from Knox all the way down to McKinnon just for grins until the cops stopped us. Cole st. and McKinney were the "wrong side of the tracks" back then with dilapidated bungalows lining each side all the way to Lemmon ave. I would have never in a million years imagined they would construct 30 story condos in this area, but they did and now Baskins Robbins is a Momo's (still?). I had to get all that off my chest.

Last edited by jobert; 01-15-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I use to live on Abbott st./Knox as a child in the early 80's and I remember when freight trains still ran on that track behind our house (now it's the Katy Trial). We would put pennies down and let the train run over them. I had a nice collection of them. Right around this time (1983), DART didn't exist, but we had "Hop-a-Bus" and they were painted pink and had fake 3ft tall rabbit ears on the roof.. Am I on drugs, or does anyone else remember this? anyways -when they pulled the track up in the 90's and left just the gravel, we would "off-road" from Knox all the way down to McKinnon just for grins until the cops stopped us. Cole st. and McKinney were the "wrong side of the tracks" back then with dilapidated bungalows lining each side all the way to Lemmon ave. I would have never in a million years imagined they would construct 30 story condos in this area, but they did and now Baskins Robbins is a Momo's (still?). I had to get all that off my chest.
No, you're probably not on drugs. The "Hop-a-bus" fleet did run through Downtown Dallas and they did have pink bunny ears. Wish they would bring those back. Momo's is still on Knox St. I didn't realize that used to be a Baskin Robbins.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
I didn't realize that used to be a Baskin Robbins.
Yeah, a lonnnnng time ago. It closed around '84 (when I was 6) and sat vacant til about '90 when Momo's went in. The 7-11 across the street, HP Pharmacy, and Weir's have been there since the dawn of man.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Nope, the pink rabbit buses are not in your imagination. LOL. I had almost forgot about them!

Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Quote:
Yeah, a lonnnnng time ago. It closed around '84 (when I was 6) and sat vacant til about '90 when Momo's went in. The 7-11 across the street, HP Pharmacy, and Weir's have been there since the dawn of man.
All still there except the 7-11.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
All still there except the 7-11.
no way! what happened? the area got too upscale?

The same thing happened to the 7-11 in the HP Village next to the movie theatre and next to HPHS. The village location turned into an Escada. They are slowly being pushed out of affluent areas. The 7-11 on Fitzhugh (west of central) will be next.

(apologies for turning this into a 7-11 thread).

Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Quote:
no way! what happened? the area got too upscale?.
Don't know exactly. I wanted to grab something quick in there while Xmas shopping at Sur la Table and it was fenced off.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
As I have mentioned here before my classmate from kindergarten through high school is a member of the Weir's family and now president - our kiddie choirs would sing at Christmas in "the country store" in the 60s. Mr Weir is probably near if not 100 by now. I think the store started in the 1940s. The Knox Street Pub was supposedly the oldest place around there but it closed and the facade was somewhat preserved with the Chili's / Pottery Barn development. I think there was an old small movie theater (ala the erstwhile Coronet on Fitzhugh) but the name escapes me.

Supposedly there was a Highland Park train depot back in there way back when.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Don't know exactly. I wanted to grab something quick in there while Xmas shopping at Sur la Table and it was fenced off.
Appologizing also for taking this way off topic, but they've closed the 7-11 at Preston Royal also. It was pretty popular with the surrounding neighborhood, don't know what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas